Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you still use talcum powder ?

(70 Posts)
NanKate Mon 10-Mar-14 21:10:48

When I was staying with my DIL recently she commented on my lavender talc in the bathroom. She wanted to know where I put it, never having used it before.

I told her in the hot weather I smoothed it under my boobs and on the inside of my thighs, explaining that I did this with my pants on as it is dangerous to get talc near one's private parts.

I buy the small pack of 4 talcs from m and s as they are convenient to take on travels and do not clutter the bathroom.

Ana Mon 10-Mar-14 21:16:47

Why is it dangerous to get talc near one's private parts? confused I use talc here, there and everywhere - especially on my feet!

rosequartz Mon 10-Mar-14 21:18:53

I use cuticura (very sparingly) and use a big 'puff' to put it on. Essential in hot weather, although not supposed to be good to use in areas you mention, so use with caution as you mention, NanKate. I don't shake it around as it is not good to breathe it in either. You can buy a powder made of starch, not tried it yet.

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Mar-14 21:19:10

Apparently there's some question of a link between talc and increased risk of ovarian cancer.

Ana Mon 10-Mar-14 21:31:19

Well, I'm sorry but I don't see how that could be likely - you don't exactly inhale it up your vaginal passage!

Grannyknot Mon 10-Mar-14 21:31:37

So it's not dangerous if you don't have ovaries then.

I use talc all the time, mostly baby powder.

annodomini Mon 10-Mar-14 21:43:18

Lanacane powder is non-talc and slightly medicated, very good for hot weather, under the breasts and groin areas. It was recommended by the nurse practitioner in our practice when I had a fungal rash and it worked like charm.

rosequartz Mon 10-Mar-14 21:50:07

I'll look out for that, is it anti-itch as well, as Lanacane cream is supposed to stop itching isn' it?

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Mar-14 21:51:11

There are quite a few references online, Ana. CRUK is one source of information. I don't think the link has ever been demonstrated, only postulated.

janerowena Mon 10-Mar-14 22:00:30

I use it on my feet in the summer sometimes. I think I have had the same container for about 20 years, though.

tanith Mon 10-Mar-14 22:02:22

Never could stand the mess talc makes in the bathroom/bedroom I remember warnings about breathing it in too I just prefer not to take the risk.

kittylester Mon 10-Mar-14 22:05:40

I think just like tanith - it's blinking messy and I too remember warnings years ago!

mollie Mon 10-Mar-14 22:10:01

I'm another baby talc user, particularly during very warm weather. I love the scent of it...

Charleygirl Mon 10-Mar-14 22:13:07

I have not used it for at least 50 years, mainly because as others have said, it is so messy and appears to get everywhere I do not want it to so better without.

Soutra Mon 10-Mar-14 22:17:45

DH likes Waitrose unscented and uses it around a large incision hernia he has. He also usually manages to leave a trail on the en suite floor despite my recommmendations to stand on a bath mat or big towel . Why did I choose dark grey slate for the en suite shower room floor? hmm

Ana Mon 10-Mar-14 22:26:51

Dragonfly1, I'm sure you're right that the link has only ever been postulated - rather like the link between anti-perspirants and breast cancer. The trouble is that the media go into a frenzy and people end up believing these claims.

Lona Mon 10-Mar-14 22:29:34

I use it a lot in the summer (when we have one) in my shoes, on the bottom sheet so it feels cool, and on any 'bits' that might need it.

Flowerofthewest Mon 10-Mar-14 22:30:38

I do wonder if using talc was the reason for my kidney cancer, after all it would be near uretha. My consultant asked me if I ever used chemicals or smoked because these were the main causes of TCC (the cancer I had) I don't use it now and was only using it for the year before diagnoses as a friend had left some behind.

Bellasnana Mon 10-Mar-14 22:30:53

Never use it. I have very dry skin so that's all I need! DH, however, uses it liberally on his feet and guess who has the mess to clean from the bathroom angry

rosequartz Mon 10-Mar-14 22:32:58

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/should-i-stop-using-talcum-powderhttp://

Flowerofthewest Mon 10-Mar-14 22:33:24

meant urethra!

rosequartz Mon 10-Mar-14 22:35:57

Don 't know what happened there.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/should-i-stop-using-talcum-powder

rockgran Mon 10-Mar-14 22:39:53

I don't feel finished off without a dusting of talc here and there. I use baby powder but managed to find some Avon recently which I keep for posh days.

absent Mon 10-Mar-14 22:50:33

A small amount of baby powder inside washing up gloves and occasionally inside shoes if it's hot and they are the posh ones.

MaggieP Mon 10-Mar-14 23:09:02

I have always used talc after showering or bath, likewise we always used baby powder on the kids, that was what you did 35+ years ago, made them smell delightful, shock horror on today's young mother faces if you mention that word near the babyshock