Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tonight I smell rather peculiar...

(40 Posts)
JoyBloggs Fri 01-Aug-14 20:40:15

... rather like a vase of dead flowers, because this morning I ran amok in three different shops trying all their testers of body sprays. I carried on until I ran out of bare flesh to squirt the stuff on, then came home empty-handed. I quite often go on long train journeys and all I wanted was something to spray on to cool me down and freshen me up on my travels. It had to be something cheap and cheerful, fresh and sort of 'clean-and-soapy-smelling' which was light and easy to carry around. They all seemed to have a really sickly flowery smell which sadly has lingered... (Holding-nose emoticon) There is one small area, two inches down from my left elbow, which smells quite nice but of course I haven't a clue now which flavour it was. And the middle finger of my right hand is still quite pleasingly fragrant (despite of course being washed several times), but no idea which concoction that was either... confused Must I repeat this entire tiresome exercise or can any fresh-smelling grans suggest a non-flowery spray?

Nanabelle Fri 01-Aug-14 20:56:15

I love the Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic Spritzer - it is their Tonic in a small spray container which will slip into a handbag. So refreshing sprayed on the face and very gentle. a 30 ml spritzer is £5.50.

A similar thing is from Body Shop - Vitamin C Skin Reviver - in a spray too. £15 for 30 mls.

I have just got these prices from their websites and can't believe that Body Shop is more expensive than Liz Earle! Liz's Foot spray is also lovely to use - very cooling.

John Lewis sells Liz Earle - possibly outher outlets. I am lucky to live on the Isle of Wight and we have our own Liz Earle shop here.

JoyBloggs Fri 01-Aug-14 21:09:48

Thank you Nanabelle, lots of helpful info there, very much appreciated... Will go to town and try a squirt or two!

goldengirl Fri 01-Aug-14 21:13:54

I've bought some Body Shop cologne spray which is nice and light. I've tried some hand cream by Liz Earle and though it works, I don't like the smell. It's my birthday soon and DH is asking what fragrances I might like - something light and floral I think.

By the way Nanabelle I'm from the Isle of Wight though have not been down recently but due a visit I hope shortly - I miss my ozone fix!

Anne58 Fri 01-Aug-14 21:16:56

For a cheap and cheerful one try Avon Summer White, when I used to travel a lot by train to see clients I always kept that in my bag and received compliments from several people.

Lona Fri 01-Aug-14 21:21:05

I love Clarins Eau Dynamisante spray,it's very fresh but not heavy.

www.clarins.co.uk/eau-dynamisante/C030101001.html

JoyBloggs Fri 01-Aug-14 21:35:54

goldengirl, phoenix and Lona Thank you very much for your suggestions - they sound very intersting and I'm looking forward to sniffing them all out very soon! Right now I am off for an early night and just hoping the weird pong doesn't keep me and Joe awake. moon

goldengirl Fri 01-Aug-14 21:36:47

I love Clarins products I must admit but I might try the Avon - the booklet has come through the door. Two excellent suggestions. Thanks

shysal Fri 01-Aug-14 22:26:06

For years I have been looking for a 'clean and soapy' fragrance, and having just read reviews of the Avon Summer White I have ordered some on Ebay. I hope it will live up to it's promise.
Since I was a teenager I have been wearing Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass every day, but can't smell it any more. Everything else I have tried seems so strong and overpowering.

Mishap Fri 01-Aug-14 22:30:00

....and leaves a nasty after-smell. I steer clear of any sort of scent.

Eloethan Fri 01-Aug-14 22:38:34

So do I Mishap. I think the modern scents smell unpleasantly synthetic.

I used to like "Apple Blossom" by Helena Rubenstein but natural-smelling, light, flowery perfumes are hard to come by now.

Stansgran Sat 02-Aug-14 12:15:01

I never travel without 4711 wipes. Very cooling and cleansing. Slightly astringent and they can be used to clean toilet seats or railway tables if The occasion arises. They also seem to last for years and if dried out a drop of water revives them. I use the body spray in hotel rooms as a room spray.

Nonu Sat 02-Aug-14 12:17:22

I quite like Imperial leather deodorant/body spray.

It doesn"t smell QUITE like the soap and talc, but is still nice ,not too sickly IMO

smile

Marelli Sat 02-Aug-14 16:17:36

Lots of the modern perfumes seem to be rather sickly, and heavy these days, don't they? In fact, so many of them seem to smell more or less the same. confused

Tegan Sat 02-Aug-14 16:29:03

I opened a 4711 sachet the other day that was years old and used it [needed a bit of water adding]. Planning to to buy the cologne stick for my holiday as I'd forgotten how refreshing 4711 is. Hardly ever use perfume these days, mainly because I find that, even if you spray it onto your skin, the smell goes onto your clothes and smells stale quite quickly [I'm meaning coats and scarves that you don't necessarily wash on a regular basis].

Icyalittle Sat 02-Aug-14 19:57:51

You made me laugh, Joybloggs but I'm glad I wasn't sitting next to you! Try Clarins Eau Dynamisante. You can use it after a shower or spray any time of the day. It smells lovely and fresh.

susieb755 Sat 02-Aug-14 20:51:38

For a cheap perfume. that smells like mademoiselle coco, I recommend Lidl Surrender - awful name - £3.99 - people always say how nice it is, and ask me where I got it!

NanKate Fri 08-Aug-14 19:21:00

Liz Earle produces two lovely perfumes, or as they call them now fragrances. grin

One is very fresh and flowery, the other spicy. I always spray myself when I am in John Lewis but as yet can't bring myself to pay out £40 odd pounds for one bottle.

Aka Fri 08-Aug-14 20:12:34

Do it all again (sounds like fun anyway) but this time take a felt tip pen with you and get the sales ladies to write the name of the smelly where they sprayed it. It will give them something to do instead of standing around looking bored and over-made up and you will be able to identity your favourite one. You'll also feel quite edgy ..as if tattooed all over.

Ana Fri 08-Aug-14 20:17:10

But won't the perfume be masked by the overpowering stink of felt tip? confused

Aka Fri 08-Aug-14 23:13:56

Pedant!!

suebailey1 Sat 09-Aug-14 07:57:29

Anyone tried Jo Malone- heavenly perfumes but heavenly prices sadly!smile

shysal Sat 09-Aug-14 08:20:29

I sent for sample vials of a few of these suggestions on here, and bought bottles of Avon Summer and Lidl Suddenly. The only one I think might suit me is the Coco Mademoiselle, which on me smells nothing like the Lidl one. I dare say I shall eventually go back to Blue Grass, I am so unadventurous!

Aka Sat 09-Aug-14 08:58:35

I love the Jo Malone fragrances Sue my favourite is Lime, basil and mandarin, wearing it now

Nonnie Sat 09-Aug-14 09:54:28

Sorry to get on my soap box again (pun intended) but please don't buy from Body Shop because it is half owned by Nestle and by now you all know how awful that company is.