Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

top sheet under duvet cover or not?

(79 Posts)
willsandco Mon 13-Oct-14 18:53:00

I have got recently remarried and this is the only thing (so far) that we disagree about! DH puts a bottom sheet on the bed, then a top sheet and then the duvet with a cover on. Nobody in my family has a top sheet - we just put the cover on the duvet and lay it over the bottom sheet. What do you all do?

tanith Mon 13-Oct-14 18:59:28

No top sheet its unnecessary just bottom sheet and duvet , the duvet act as the top sheet and gets changed every week with the sheet and pillowslips..

MrsJamJam Mon 13-Oct-14 19:06:49

No need for a top sheet. The duvet cover gets washed every week. Also much cosier without the sheet as the duvet wraps around you better.

Anne58 Mon 13-Oct-14 19:27:15

No top sheet here, either!

Doesn't the duvet slip around if it's over a top sheet?

chloe1984 Mon 13-Oct-14 19:28:33

No top sheet here either.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Oct-14 19:28:36

No top sheet. Spoils the "wrap" of the duvet.

Starling Mon 13-Oct-14 19:32:24

Fitted sheet plus duvet. However a loose top sheet can be useful in winter to keep out draughts as the duvet never seems wide enough to fully wrap round both persons......

Gagagran Mon 13-Oct-14 19:40:13

Always have a top sheet and as a result don't need to wash the duvet cover as often. I have problems with my wrists and thumbs so find taking duvet covers off and putting them back on a struggle.

whitewave Mon 13-Oct-14 19:40:37

Always have a top sheet, just feels good, and draft free.

shysal Mon 13-Oct-14 19:42:48

I used to use a top sheet tucked in, as it stopped the duvet moving about, and there was no 'battle of the bedding' when one of you rolled over. These days I am single and use a sheet only, as I am a hot body. I don't even possess a duvet.

sparkygran Mon 13-Oct-14 19:43:49

No top sheet here

thatbags Mon 13-Oct-14 19:51:20

Duvet covers are sheets sewn into bags into which you put the duvet. Another top sheet is superfluous.

specki4eyes Mon 13-Oct-14 20:20:55

Personally I don't use a top sheet either but if someone is staying in the guest room for one or two nights, I put a top sheet under the covered duvet, then just wash the sheets and pillow cases when they leave. This somehow seems easier than washing, ironing and replacing the duvet cover. That way I also find that I can launder their bedding AND towels in one load.

Purpledaffodil Mon 13-Oct-14 20:27:52

Top sheet stops duvet doing its job of settling around one. However a quilted throw over the top of the duvet makes a useful extra layer if the weather is very cold IMO.

Grannyknot Mon 13-Oct-14 20:29:40

wills my husband insists on a top sheet. This is because he throws the duvet off on his side and still wants a light cover.

Ana Mon 13-Oct-14 20:31:41

I don't use a top sheet either, although I did once work with a woman who was very smug about the fact that she did - her theory was that it was easier to wash a sheet than to change the duvet cover! hmm

feetlebaum Mon 13-Oct-14 20:35:04

Using a top sheet renders the duvet almost useless, in that it is designed to wrap around the body, whereas the sheet, tucked in either side corms a sort of tent, with draughty gaps either side of the sleeper. The duvet cover IS the top sheet!

feetlebaum Mon 13-Oct-14 20:35:29

PS: A duvet with a top sheet is an eiderdown.

Mishap Mon 13-Oct-14 20:37:56

No top sheet here!

rosequartz Mon 13-Oct-14 20:38:14

I used a top sheet for quite a long while after an operation when I found it difficult to change the duvet cover every week.
We did use a top sheet in the warmer weather as the sheet was enough covering until the early hours when we hoiked the duvet back over us.

However, it's much more comfortable with just the duvet cover.

Grannyknot Mon 13-Oct-14 20:58:48

feetle I find that any natural fabric settles rather than traps air in a tent-like fashion. I've slept under duvets that act like tents too. So I believe it's not the cover, be it sheet or duvet, it's what it's made from that counts.

Kiora Mon 13-Oct-14 21:18:07

Ohh eiderdown conjures up lovely warm memories of mum and siblings all having a nap in the afternoon. Said eiderdown was coffee coloured and looked all soft and comfy. No sheet here

sara4 Mon 13-Oct-14 21:33:36

I like a top sheet because it saves washing a duvet cover. I have great difficulty getting the cover off and on again. I'm not very tall nor do I have long arms. I have to enlist DH's help.

whitewave Mon 13-Oct-14 21:36:58

The other reason I like a top sheet is that if hot I can throw off the duvet and feel very comfortable under the sheet. I also spend most of the night with the duvet only covering about half of me the rest is covered by the sheet. So warm feet but a comfortable top.

thatbags Mon 13-Oct-14 21:41:35

My trick for putting on clean duvet covers (which I don't iron) goes like this. I hang the uncovered duvet over the landing bannister. I wash and dry the covers inside out (removes the fluff that builds up in corners). I work my arms into the closed end corners and grab two corners of the duvet. Then I shake thecover over the duvet over the bannister (so that it has room to drop down as far as possible). Then it's just a case of supporting the mainly covered duvet on the bannister again while I adjust the open end corners amd fasten the fastenings.

It's by far the easiest way I've discovered. Have to say double duvets are less easy than singles but DH and I now use a single each because our temperature requirements are different.

I hope someone else finds this method useful smile