Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

lipstick that lasts - any recommendations

(49 Posts)
Coolgran65 Wed 22-Apr-15 20:04:01

I have worn the same lipstick for years.
It is Rimmel in a shade called Amethyst and I really like this colour.
But it doesn't last long and I always have a tube on me because even if my makeup is worn off a little lippy makes all the difference.

I know all about powder, another coat of lippy etc. But for speed....Just seeking something that will stay on.

Being of mature years it's probably best that it isn't too dry looking. Bit I'd be interested in what others use.

Any suggestions ?

Parcs Fri 24-Apr-15 10:22:13

Ana same here. I have never been one for wearing make up but as I get older I feel that a little help is needed. Is it working for you wearing a bit of makeup, what has helped.

Leah11 Fri 24-Apr-15 12:21:24

I try all types and brands of makeup, but usually buy more expensive lipsticks in bright colours. Dior, in the mock crock effect case, is long lasting. I love Mysterious Mauve smile

glammanana Fri 24-Apr-15 12:35:24

Lip Finity is the best I have used for all day colour I have used it for a while now and have always been pleased with the staying power.
For every day bit of colour and giving a sf15 protection try £lands Lip Balm in Tinted Rose it keeps lips moist and who can go wrong with a price like that,ideal for keeping in your pocket when you are out and about.

Ana Fri 24-Apr-15 12:41:50

Hi Parcs, I have always worn makeup - foundation, mascara, eyeshadow etc., it's just lipstick I've never been a fan of.

I do wish they sold sample sizes. It can work out expensive if the colour you liked in the shop looks horrendous when you try it at home...confused

AshTree Fri 24-Apr-15 13:29:00

I used to use Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay-in-Place lip stain, but inexplicably they discontinued this quite a while ago, without replacing it with anything similar. It was, IMO, the best of its kind on the market. I've tried Max Factor Lip Finity and I can't stand the feel of it - it certainly doesn't last all day with me because I just have to scrape it off, it feels so dry and uncomfortable - and yes, I do use the gloss on top!

Parcs Mon 27-Apr-15 07:32:32

Ana it is possible to upload a photo on a makeup website and change and match makeup that suits your completion

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Apr-15 09:06:08

Last night I ordered Lipfinity from Amazon in mellow rose for £7.50 including postage.
I always wear foundation, mascara for my very blonde lashes, a pale coffee eyeshadow, Avon Glimmersticks eye liner, and lightly colour my blonde brows. All quite subtle, and lipstick finishes it off. Takes 5 minutes to do and I don't look near it all day except to touch up my present lippy. Hoping Lipfinity will save me touching up.

I am not vain, just know I look better and healthier with a little help smile

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:15:44

Lip Finity arrived today and testing is in progress smile

I put it on at lunchtime and I've had dinner, several glasses of water, and there is still a good colour on my lips.
Great lipstick.

Thank you everyone.

Ceesnan Wed 29-Apr-15 19:24:31

On the strength of the recommendation in this thread I bought the Barry M Magic Lipstick and am delighted with the result. The colour can be deepened by using several applications, and has lasted all day. Really impressed, but still trying to work out how a green lipstick turns pink!

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Apr-15 19:39:37

Ceesnan I'm thinking of getting the Magic lippy also. Glad to hear you are happy with it.

Elliebeth Tue 23-Jun-15 18:59:41

Tried a Magic lipstick as lipsticks don't stay on me. Got the green one and the colour it changes to is lovely. However l have had a reaction to it, very dry lips and a huge sore in the corner of my mouth. It's not a cold sore because l get those and this isn't one. I am allergic to iodine so whether that has any bearing l don't know but wanted to pass it on. Bit of a shame as l really liked the colour !!

janerowena Tue 23-Jun-15 20:18:05

That's really sad elliebeth, I wear it every time I go out and would be lost without it. I am not good at remembering to look at mirrors once I have left the house, I like knowing there is some colour on my face. I've been wearing it since the 80s with no problems at all, you have been very unlucky.

Marmight Thu 25-Jun-15 12:55:13

A friend was recently persuaded to buy a white 'undercoat' for lips from Estee Lauder as it would keep the lipstick in situ for longer. 2 days later her lips, mouth and cheeks swelled up and eruptions appeared. It took 10 days until she was back to normal.......... needless to say, it was consigned to the bin.
Me, I only wear lipstick on high days and holidays wink

Marelli Thu 25-Jun-15 16:39:01

Elliebeth, eosin (sp) paint used to be added to lipsticks, I think. Nurses amongst us may remember that this was used to apply to sore areas on skin. Wonder if that's an ingredient of the lipstick you've used?

annodomini Sun 28-Jun-15 19:45:07

When lipsticks contained lanolin, my lips reacted badly. Nowadays, I think that ingredient is no longer used.

Elliebeth Mon 29-Jun-15 17:07:35

The lipstick was a Barry M one, a brand l haven't used before so maybe it's one to avoid for me. Not had a reaction to lipstick before and have used Estée Lauder, Maybelline, Boots and most of the other popular ones. Probably go back to Rimmel, used it for years in heather shimmer and had forgotton Amethyst till Coolgran mentioned it. Going to buy one of each!!

granin Mon 27-Jul-15 15:51:53

I found a new l'oreal one the other day (ordered it online as it was cheaper!) that goes fantastically with my (very dark) skintone and i was amazed at how long it stayed on during a family party. i think they on;y come in reds or pale colours, but if you're someone who likes a bold colour, these are wonderful. mine's called 'blake's red' i believe

Peonygran Mon 27-Jul-15 16:25:04

This is perhaps more appropriate for the evening rather than everyday but I would highly recommend a Bobbi Brown art stick. It's basically a lip pencil and a lipstick rolled into one and can be used on the cheeks as well. There are a beautiful selection of shades to choose from - very long lasting, and very glamorous!

kayTropic Fri 07-Aug-15 08:55:00

Morning
I sell skincare and makeup and have worked in the Beauty Business for many years. The type that 'stays on', I would really stay clear of. It has a chemical drying agent that will just enhance lines around the lips.
You need to try a lippy that has plenty of shea and cocoa butter to keep your lips moisturised.
No lip stick I have ever sold, stays on.
However you can increase the life of your lippy by the way you put it on.
Always use a lip liner.
Using a brush put the lippy on in downward strokes. This fills any lines in your lips
Blot on tissue paper
Re-apply
This technique really helps.

Nansypansy Tue 27-Oct-15 06:38:49

I have used Colorsport lipsticks for many years. This doesn't stop me from buying others occasionally but I always go back to Colorsport because there is nothing else that I've tried that stays on so well or for so long. No dryness either. I can only buy it in a handful of independent chemists. It's only £5.99 and comes in a pretty flowery case. I should add that the colours always darken so it's best to choose the paler colours - my favourite colour is "silk".

gettingonabit Tue 27-Oct-15 08:47:24

Mmmm....I've never had problems with lippy staying on. Having said that, I always use a matt finish, a lip pencil and something more moisturising to fill in and top up. I think the best for staying on is Urban Decay.

j00ls312 Wed 09-Dec-15 19:45:54

Reading about long lasting lipstick (I love a bit of alliteration!!) I'm on medication which leaves me with a VERY dry mouth and even seems to suck the moisture out of my lips. I like to wear a bit of makeup at work but I can't find any lippy that will last, it all seems to disappear and leave gloopy bits. HELP!!

grannylyn65 Wed 09-Dec-15 19:48:08

Rural Decay in my world tchwink