Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

See-through white Summer trousers

(52 Posts)
petallus Fri 22-May-15 18:09:26

I just bought a pair of nice casual Summer trousers in white but they are quite see-through.

I am alternating between thinking I am being old fashioned not wanting everyone to see my knickers (and recent hip replacement scar grin) and knowing I will avoid putting them on because I can't help being modest. I am wondering if I should take them back to the shop.

What do others think?

Ana Fri 22-May-15 18:15:33

Yes, take them back. You'd never feel comfortable wearing them (and neither would I!)

loopylou Fri 22-May-15 18:23:54

I agree with Ana
White trousers are notoriously difficult to get right in my experience.
Wearing nude full knickers helps but the trousers do need to be made of reasonably opaque material.

soontobe Fri 22-May-15 18:29:12

Ask yourself this question.

You take the trousers back to the shop.
With the money, are you going to want to go to the shop rail and buy another exact pair?

HildaW Fri 22-May-15 19:16:15

Can always remember driving through the town we used to live in and catching an eyeful of two women wearing white trousers with darkish thongs showing through. They were, as my Granny used to say, 'no spring chickens'. It was not good and boy, it slowed the traffic down.

rosesarered Fri 22-May-15 19:25:12

Although you could keep them Petallus but wear a tunic type top with them, so nothing of importance shows.grin

Ana Fri 22-May-15 19:27:47

Yes, I did think of that myself, but it would be a bit limiting! grin
(And tunics only really work on taller women - don't know how tall you are, petallus so not judging!)

Soutra Fri 22-May-15 19:51:16

Flesh coloured big knickers should do it!

Soutra Fri 22-May-15 19:54:11

PS I have a pair of Per Una white linen trousers which are lined!!

Nelliemoser Fri 22-May-15 19:56:11

There is no way I would buy white trousers. They would not stay white for five minutes on me. I kneel down a lot rather than bending down and I would be bound to spill something on them and ruin them.

baubles Fri 22-May-15 20:07:16

Soutra I think I have the same pair. I still wear flesh coloured knickers under them and made DH check and double check that nothing showed through when I stood with the light behind me. smile

FarNorth Fri 22-May-15 20:14:04

If it was me I'd take them back as I'd never feel happy about wearing them so they'd just stay in the cupboard and be a waste of money.

rosesarered Fri 22-May-15 20:22:05

I couldn't wear them either, I get biro on just about anything I own.

Anya Fri 22-May-15 20:23:05

Take them back, it is not a good look [hmm[

Coolgran65 Fri 22-May-15 21:13:08

I also have lined linen.

I also wear ordinary white linen with tunics, or long shirt with strappy cami underneath. Never ever anything that is not below my bum regardless of what type of trouser I wear.

downtoearth Fri 22-May-15 21:36:00

have white jeans and white linen trousers but long cheek length tunics hide multitude of sins ..

Teetime Sat 23-May-15 08:57:53

If you still want a pair of white trousers I bought some nice linen ones from Monsoon which aren't see through and not lined either as that might be too hot for me- I would only wear white trousers on a very sunny, warm day and as downtoearth says I wear a tunic top to cover up my behind. I was advised to wear flesh coloured underwear under white clothes rather than white.

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 09:42:45

I hankered after white linen trousers to take on my holidays as I see other women wearing them and they look so smart.

However, I still haven't bought any - I couldn't find any I liked that fit nicely, and at the first glimpse of a glass of shiraz they wouldn't stay white for long.

Flesh coloured underwear is best under white tops, too, white shows through.

I woukd take them back, look for some not so see-through if you still want a pair. If you hesitate every time you go to put them on they will be a waste of money.

Sheena Sat 23-May-15 10:30:36

Oh I'm worried now reading these posts blush ... for the first time ever this year I have bought myself two white skirts, a pair of white linen (not lined) trousers and white jeans !! I have always hankered after them and I see just sooooo many ladies wearing white with no problem that I thought..what the heck...go for it !! they sort of look OK when I try them on at home...but do you know what.....I don't know if I will really have the courage to wear them out grin

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 10:35:47

I wear white jeans, a white skirt and I have a couple of pairs of white trousers that aren't see through. I wear them with normal tops and tee shirts too.

Just be careful to wear nude knickers and you'll be fine Sheena, and a petticoat if the skirt isn't lined.

Charleygirl Sat 23-May-15 10:43:46

I learn something new on here every day- thanks rosequartz I have always worn a white bra under a white T shirt or shirt.

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 10:49:19

M&S no vpl briefs in nude ('big' knickers) are brilliant under white trousers etc.

petallus Sat 23-May-15 10:50:41

I am taking the trousers back.

I do have a pair of white jeans which I bought from M & S a few years ago and they are fine.

As for big beige knickers, hmm, wouldn't they be passion killers? grin

rosequartz Sat 23-May-15 10:57:16

shock petallus

I overheard two ladies in a shop choosing white bras to go under white dresses, so I -- interfered-- suggested nicely that perhaps 'nude' bras would not show through, but white does.
They stared at me in disbelief then carried on looking at the white ones.
I tried!

Soutra Sat 23-May-15 11:04:52

petallus my dear, from my perspective "passion killer" knickers are not my number problem, but they were a turn -on for what's-his-name in Bridget Jones' Diary weren't they?
However, anything is better than VPL or lacy knickers showing through .

I love white trousers and jeans, but summer has to have really kicked in before they feel right. Sand or stone is as light as I will go until it warms up a bit more.