Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

50 shades

(111 Posts)
Alea Thu 27-Aug-15 18:52:44

Stage 2 of letting my hair go grey now completed. I have had all my "warm" lowlights cooled down to a cool ash, and very pale silver highlights blended in with the grey which was threatening to break through!
DH says it actually makes my face look "younger" (clever man) but I am now looking at my wardrobe and thinkng about which colours will suit me best. I fear any beige/camel/tan things will not do me any favours, but look forward to " rediscovering" monochrome winter clothes, bright crisp red, white and blue (no not the Union Jack) . Purple and deep pink will also be fine but I think pastels might be for the charity bag.
Oh and I need to look out my lippy!
Have you changed what you wear, especially near your face, at all as your hair colour has "matured" at all?

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-15 07:49:02

I think you both look great and I'm really envy. My hairdresser informs me that my hair isn't very grey (how does she know?) and, as the rest was pure mouse, I'm sticking with highlights!

annsixty Sat 29-Aug-15 11:39:32

As my style and colour is not dissimilar to both alea and Lona I took a selfie on my I-Pad.Oh dear what a mistake, definitely not for public viewing!!!

Alea Sat 29-Aug-15 11:57:53

If there ever was an argument against hair dye it is surely

Paul McCartney shock

I am trying to channel my inner Christine Lagarde, but it still needs a lot of practice!

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-15 14:56:13

Now, if I thought I'd look like Christine Lagarde I might consider it Alea. But that would entail acquiring lovely white hair that appears to do as it is told, losing half my body weight, being stylish and becoming French! Highlights seems much easier really!

Alea Sat 29-Aug-15 15:10:55

I'm going at it one step at a time kittylester!
So far I can do zee accent, "Ah weel say thees only wance" (or is that 'Allo! 'Allo?) grin
Oh and brushing up on my times tables!

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-15 16:17:30

I forgot I'd need to be clever too!! Definitely highlights for me then!! grin

annsixty Sat 29-Aug-15 16:23:45

I have decided to be brave and expose myself

annsixty Sat 29-Aug-15 16:24:51

Am I sideways on? I am on mine.

kittylester Sat 29-Aug-15 16:27:44

Now, you see, if my hair was going to be that colour ann, I wouldn't need to bother with highlights - you look lovely and the right way up! grin

Ana Sat 29-Aug-15 16:32:27

Yes, definitely a touch of the Christine Lagardes there, ann! smile

Lona Sat 29-Aug-15 16:47:54

ann you look great, and your hair is a beautiful colour! I can't wait for mine to go all the way!envy

glammanana Sat 29-Aug-15 17:07:11

Ann what a fab colour and you certainly suit the blue smile

Alea Sat 29-Aug-15 17:08:42

Fabulous! Love the colour of the top, too.

EmilyHarburn Sun 30-Aug-15 13:39:43

I have been grey for some time. I enjoy swimming and a sauna and felt that it was a waste of money to dye my hair as well as a cancer thing. I was going to a posh dinner last September so asked the hair dresser to give me streaks to match my raspberry jacket worn over a black dress. The hair dresser mixed up brown hair dye with a pink so it was not garish and I got quite a lot of compliments. She has not been so successful in trying to give me some teal streaks for my son's 50th party.

I went to Colour me Beautiful 20 years ago. I am a summer now called (cool) I think. I enjoy a wardrobe where any new piece that I buy will tone with others in my wardrobe as i do not throw things out and amazed how they come round again. Colour Me Beautiful publish a good book Colour me Younger ISBN 978-0-600-60313-0 Which helps you to review your own use of your colours. They do hair colour basics, party wear etc. Very helpful.

soop Sun 30-Aug-15 13:56:21

annsixty You are beautiful. My hair is disappointingly iron-grey. I prefer yours. xxx

annsixty Sun 30-Aug-15 14:59:01

Well thank you all. I stopped colouring about a year ago and when the final colour was out I was surprised just how white it was. Don't forget though you all have some years to go to catch me up so you may be surprised as well.

Nandalot Sun 30-Aug-15 16:15:39

What beautiful long tresses, Soop.
You are sideways on for me , Annsixty, but it doesn't detract from your beautiful hair.

kittylester Sun 30-Aug-15 16:17:14

You are the right way round for me soop and you look fabulous!

Nandalot Sun 30-Aug-15 16:17:27

Mine is going grey gradually. I swear it goes greyer after I've been to the hairdresser. Is she trying to drum up business?

bikergran Sun 30-Aug-15 16:26:56

must admit I have never ever coloured my hair, I used to be red head/carrot top/ginger whatever you want to call it, it has gone sort of salt n pepper over the yrs and the grey is showing now, but so be it, I really don't care, plus I couldn't afford to have it coloured on a reg basis.(managed to find one that doesn't look like I have just got off my bike)

Well done all you ladies... smile

soop Sun 30-Aug-15 17:53:56

A lovely photograph, biker

Nandalot and kitty I have NEVER ever worn my hair loose outside of this house. Always up and usually a little scarecrow-like. ;) x

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 17:56:55

You all look so lovely I'm almost sorry my hair's still determined to stay mousy brown! grin

annsixty Sun 30-Aug-15 18:02:16

I am surprised that so many of us have similar styles apart from * soop* who can take longer hair so well. Hair past my ears and I look very old and dowdy.

bikergran Sun 30-Aug-15 18:51:45

oh ty soop I was going to say haven't we some lovely GNetters..think we should have a calendar done lol..grin (with clothes on of course) grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Aug-15 19:02:11

Mine too, Ana , and a faded, fine mouse too, so it has to have some tlc from my hairdresser, I'm afraid. My mum had very thick, very dark hair and for years had a dramatic silver streak in it. We used to say she was a Mallen.