Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hairdressers!!

(40 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Sun 13-Sep-15 10:19:43

How do you find one that you like. I'm fed up with one who leave my hair uneven or try to impose the latest style on me or who see my thick wavy hair and want thin it out til there's hardly anything left.
I've been to about six places in the past year and haven't found anyone I like. They've ranged from city centre to little back street salons. So tell me how you fiound your hair salon.

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-15 13:09:24

er! To continue.... I decided to wait until my lady came back to work, and shortly my hair will be so long people will not be able to tell if I am facing backward or forward! I do find some hairdressing salons rather intimidating. I remember in the sixties, when I works in London, I used to go to a small salon in Bond Street recommended to me by a lady I worked with. It wasn't that expensive, it was a very comfortable atmosphere and I got a great cut. Then, they amalgamated with the parent outlet in Jermyn Street and I had to go there. I only went once, couldn't have my hairdresser even though I'd booked him and was generally treated as if they were doing me a huge favour just by letting me in the door! Enough to put you off hairdressers for life!

Aglassofroseplease Fri 25-Sep-15 17:37:51

I know what you mean Greyduster I hate it when they try to treat you like an old lady whose a bit simple and is begging them to give me a little old lady style, when I see myself as a feisty lively person who wants a good cut that's in a funky style with a bit of zing.
I used to go to a well known stylist in Covent Garden and before that, as a student we'd all troop off to Vidal Sassoon school and pay 50 pence for a really good cut. Having been to these places you get to know what is a good cut and you know when yours getting a bad or mediocre cut, I think that is why I find it so difficult to find anywhere I like and feel happy with.
I think I'm forgoing to try to book into Vidal sassoons school in a few months when my hair has grown out a bit and make it part of a short holiday in London seeing my niece and her boys. smile

NotTooOld Fri 25-Sep-15 18:00:05

I'm embarrassed when I go to my hairdresser (small salon). I started off with one girl and then tried another and now I seem to be stuck with her. She's good but the other was better and I'd like to go back to her. How do I do that without making the second one feel bad? I must be stupid because at the price they charge I should be able to choose which one I want to book without feeling embarrassed that I'm upsetting the other one. In fact, now I've typed this I know it's ridiculous. Help!

TriciaF Fri 25-Sep-15 18:04:15

I've just seen this thread - a coincidence as I've been to my hairdresser today and she's the best cutter I've ever had smile. Quite willing to give you a trendy style.
Not telling where, it's a secret, and only 25€ (£18) for wash cut and blowdry.

Ana Fri 25-Sep-15 18:08:27

NotTooOld, find out whether your current hairdresser has a regular day off during the week, and book yourself in for that day next time with the other one!

NannyDee Fri 25-Sep-15 18:08:33

I've had the same hairdresser for 30 years! She started as the trainee in the salon I used to go to then opened her own shop and I went with her. She knows my hair so well and does the whole family. She's a fantastic cutter and lovely and friendly too. She's on her own I her little shop and charges £15 for wash, cut and blow dry!

NotTooOld Fri 25-Sep-15 18:17:57

Ana - I had thought of that, so I think I will have to see her one more time, bring the conversation round to days off, and then book with the other one. Am I pathetic or what? DH is always telling me I'm too soft...........

Do they really care anyway? It's not as if I'm a big tipper, in fact at the prices they charge I don't tip at all!

Ana Fri 25-Sep-15 18:32:44

I'd feel the same, NTO. I don't think it's a case of being too soft, just not wanting to hurt someone's feelings, but I expect they just accept it as being part of the job.

Greyduster Fri 25-Sep-15 19:46:01

Thank The Lord and bless the congregation! After her recent bereavement, my lovely hairdresser is back at the helm at last, with a stream of grateful, shaggy regular customers falling at her feet! I had a beautiful cut yesterday and felt like a million dollars!

LuckyDucky Mon 09-Nov-15 01:05:28

I became tired of walking out with his/her interpretation of the style I wanted.

I drew a 10 mile radius on a map, then rang round. I was disappointed the all of the town hair salons only seemed interested in £s.

The second last salon owner asked if I'd care to meet and chat. Would I? Ten days later, I walked out with a new style, low lights and high lights.

She told me, they each stylist keeps notes on condition, style and colour before they touch a new client's hair and after. grin

Still pleased btw. thlsmile

LuckyDucky Mon 09-Nov-15 01:06:41

OK I didn't proof read it is 01.06 sad(

NotTooOld Mon 09-Nov-15 22:12:09

I've just read this thread and have to agree that finding a good hairdresser is a nightmare. I have tried the hairdressing department at a college but they were sooooo slow I would not do it again. Somebody above asked how you can recognise a good salon without actually trying it. Well, in my experience - you can't. However, I'm always put straight off by a salon that does not look clean, or has piles of out of date and/or tatty magazines, or plays loud background music - or any background music at all, come to that. A smiley and efficient receptionist is always encouraging, as is not being kept waiting.

Aglassofroseplease Sat 14-Nov-15 10:03:28

Hello everyone! Well,, two months on from my original post ii'm still looking for a decent hairdresser that I feel happy with. The saga, so far is: I've tried out two in my area that I've had recommendation for. One left my hair longer and fuller on one side and the other teaches hairdressing at the college as well as running a salon - it's shorter than I like it but that's cause it needed evening out. I'm not sure yet if I'll go back to her yet.
I've been looking quite hard for a hairdresser - I've had recommendation from friends, I've asked social media, I trekked out to a hairdresser of the year, he wasn't for me: I booked in with v sassoons but at £80 a cut and blow dry I think I'll cancel it.
I've looked in the area near me which has two cities nearby and the town I grew up in and am not much further on. - I'll grow my hair a bit and keep up the search ,,,,, watch this space. If anyone wants to give a recommendation in here or message me. I live near derby and Nottingham and I go to Stafford frequently smile

Aglassofroseplease Sat 14-Nov-15 10:09:22

Ps why does my hair and finding a good hairdresser matter to me so much?? When people have been massacred in Paris