Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Long hair on older women

(209 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 03-Apr-16 08:17:01

When should you get your hair cut! At seventy, I have good hair, lots of grey coming in, but I have a few highlights put in. Some of my friends say I would look younger if I had it chopped off, trouble is once it's one would I regret it, enjoy the fact that one bit of me is still ok.the rest is slowly giving up.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 03-Apr-16 09:20:04

How great that you have gorgeous hair, most of us are grappling with loss of hair, spending a small fortune on thickening products, that don't work. I have longish very fine hair that I wear up, as when it's down it looks flat to the head, urgh, up, not so bad. Also what has age got to do with it, I say keep your(very much envied) hair, it sounds fab to mesmile

pompa Sun 03-Apr-16 09:20:35

When to get your hair cut -- when YOU want to. If you like your long hair, keep it.

thatbags Sun 03-Apr-16 09:21:38

Why would you want to look younger? Tell 'em not to be ageist.

Anniebach Sun 03-Apr-16 09:27:34

Do not have it cut unless you want it cut, long hair is easier to manage too

Indinana Sun 03-Apr-16 09:33:20

I would love to still have my long, thick hair, but sadly when I developed psoriasis on my scalp I had to stop colouring it and there was no way I was going to have long grey hair. And to make matters worse, the psoriasis is causing my hair to fall out, so it's nothing like as thick as it was even 5 years ago.

If you've got good hair, keep it long! I certainly would smile

janeainsworth Sun 03-Apr-16 09:41:01

www.theguardian.com/fashion/2015/feb/18/why-do-older-women-always-have-short-hair

Look at the picture in this article of Daphne Selfe Luckylegs and enjoy your long hair!

tiredoldwoman Sun 03-Apr-16 09:47:04

I chopped some of my hair off yesterday , it's long , dark and layered , I love it .I won't let anyone cut it . I've toyed with the idea of stopping colouring it and allowed it to come through to check on root colour . I used a semi permanent colour this time to avoid the badger look - I would love a full head of white moppy hair but it's not ready yet !

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Apr-16 09:49:34

Oh, I'm so envy! I've never had good hair - it's been baby fine since I was born. If I had good hair, I'd be keeping it, treasuring it and swishing it in the faces of anyone who said I was too old. I've never been able to swish grin

Luckygirl Sun 03-Apr-16 09:54:00

I am 67 and have long dark brown hair - no grey! It reaches to my nipples!

I love it and wear it in loose plaits most of the time; or twist it up on top of my head with a clip. It is so much easier, as when it is short it is quite fine and it just sticks up with static, or glues itself to my head.

It is no bother to wash as I wash it in the shower whilst it is still in plaits so it is easier to manage.

I grew it a few years back when I was incapacitated for several months and could not be bothered to get it cut - and then I just let it grow.

When it goes grey I plan to dye it pink!

boheminan Sun 03-Apr-16 10:00:54

I'm happy to have my hair long - always have done (well, apart from a few months when I decided to be a 'Mod' back in the 60's). My locks are purple, pink and blue! I find it quite ironic that once upon a time I always sneered I'd never rinse my hair blue...and all these years on.

The beauty of having long hair is that it's versatile - pinning up gives the impression of short, whilst letting it all hang out turns me into a mermaidgrin

Collgirl1 Sun 03-Apr-16 10:29:35

I am afraid I disagree with the idea that long hair suits older faces. The hair drags down your face and emphasises your wrinkles, in my opinion. I wear my hair coloured blonde and shortish, and think it looks far better than wearing it a boring colour like dapple beige, which I suspect it is under the colour, and long.

Alima Sun 03-Apr-16 10:37:31

Do what you want to do! At 62 mine is totally grey, cannot be bothered colouring it and I like the grey. Yours sounds lovely. (The reason I wear mine short is that I cannot bear the feel of hair round my neck, or stuck down the plug hole come to that).

Teetime Sun 03-Apr-16 10:48:52

It depends what suits you. At least with long hair you have options about how you wear it up down, sort of down etc etc. It is true that on SOME people having their long hair cut short does give them a lift and make them look younger. I know several golf ladies who keep their hair very short for practical reasons but it looks harsh and unfeminine - on them I hasten to add. Its such a personal thing only you can decide.

Lazigirl Sun 03-Apr-16 10:50:00

Totally agree with thatbags and Alima. Please yourself. Your hair sounds lovely, wish mine was. Why can't we fly the flag for older women instead of constantly striving to look younger, prettier, more fashionable etc. why the f does it matter? Hurrah for Mary Beard I say.

Galen Sun 03-Apr-16 10:51:23

My silver hair is long and worn up

Galen Sun 03-Apr-16 10:52:02

(Shows off the pearl earrings don't you know)

gettingonabit Sun 03-Apr-16 11:09:17

I've never been able to grow my hair either. However, I think if you have longer hair and like it, you should keep it.

I agree with the pp though that longer hair drags faces down unless you have exceptional bone structure

However, I think an updo (a nice one, not a messy, half-hearted one) always looks classy and glamorous regardless of the looks of its wearer. Ageless and elegant-classy!

tiredoldwoman Sun 03-Apr-16 11:22:49

Galen and Bohemian - I looked at your photos - you're both beautiful !

Pittcity Sun 03-Apr-16 11:38:28

There are no rules when it comes to hair or clothes. It's whatever you are happy with. Mine is now collar length because I am growing the bleach blonde out. I will grow it to shoulder length again. That way I can wear it up or down.

Granny23 Sun 03-Apr-16 11:51:11

If I had a personal hairdresser or Maid, my hair would still be long but I eventually succumbed to arthritic fingers, which refused to pleat or insert hairpins neatly and now have a short bob. sad . If I end up in care (which heaven forefend) I shall insist on letting my hair grow and having it 'put up' every morning grin

Galen Sun 03-Apr-16 12:02:47

I just put it in a pony tail then use one of those bun nets which are attached to a bow on a clip. Dead easy, looks sophisticated and keeps hair in place from dawn to bedtime,

annsixty Sun 03-Apr-16 12:59:08

My son has just been to take me to drop in a card and present for my friend who is 75 today.
She wears her hair very short and blonde and it suits her to a T. That is what we should all do. She is also very pretty and looked wonderful today.

Penstemmon Sun 03-Apr-16 13:12:50

I have never had long hair but I have had 'big ' hair as it is curly and was always quite thick. It has thinned out to normal now! I recently had a new style because of this and love it..much shorter at the back than I have had for a while. I can just wash it and leave it which is all I can manage as am not good at using curlers/straighteners etc!! It is coloured , slightly lighter than my natural 'younger me' colour to cover what I guess is almost 100% grey now.

I think we should all wear our hair as we want and in styles and colours that make us feel content and suit our lifestyle.

Gaggi3 Sun 03-Apr-16 13:37:01

DH's aunt, who was nearly 100 when she died, had long hair all her life, which she wore in a French pleat. She was in a care home for the last 3 or 4 months of her life and they cut her hair. Of course, I know that they did this for good practical reasons, but it did seem to be the beginning of the end for her and I felt sad about it.