Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you dress up to visit certain family members?

(13 Posts)
petitpois Wed 27-Apr-16 14:48:16

My mother wouldn't be caught dead without a full face of make up, especially lipstick, whereas I'm much more...relaxed. But I alway feel like I have to dress up and do the full hair and make-up bit if I go visit her - she'd be disappointed otherwise! Anyone else do this?

ninathenana Wed 27-Apr-16 14:54:08

I can't remember the last time I visited a relative (we only have a few)
I never dressed up for mum when she was alive and at home. Visiting the CH was different as that was public. D and I have never bothered when visiting each other either.

Teetime Wed 27-Apr-16 15:18:45

All my older relatives are dead now. sad

Anniebach Wed 27-Apr-16 15:20:01

No, never have done

felice Wed 27-Apr-16 15:23:26

Not since I was 13(1967) and stomped my platform soled shoes hard when going to visit relatives wearing a mini skirt. My Mother turned around from the front seat of the car and gave me trousers to put on as I could not visit Auntie B dressed like THAT!!!!.Still¨angry

M0nica Wed 27-Apr-16 19:09:58

My mother was always well dressed and liked us to be well dressed as well. She wasn't snippy about it or anything like that, but because we loved her we would all dress neatly and tidily when we visited her. I remember, with pride, going clothes shopping with DD when she was in her mid-teens and her suggesting I buy one particular garment for her because Grandma would like it and she could wear it when visiting her - and that is exactly what happened.

kittylester Wed 27-Apr-16 19:42:35

I used to for mum as she was very fussy but she isn't any longer! The other person I dress up for is the Sil who is totally unconcerned about fashion and clothes - which baffles me completely - I think it's rebellion!confused

kittylester Wed 27-Apr-16 19:44:34

And, I suppose I try to keep my ' end up' with the dds or they try to sort me out. grin

Eloethan Wed 27-Apr-16 20:11:16

Apart from my children and grandchildren, the only close blood relative that I have is my Mum.

I try to look reasonably smart, wear make up etc., but I don't do it for any specific reason or person.

tiredoldwoman Thu 28-Apr-16 05:31:52

I think it's respectful to both parties to ' dress up' to visit . Nice clean fresh clothes and body , a bit of make up and a happy smile makes you feel good and 'nice to know'.
My ex husband appeared at my door last year , scowling aggressively , in dirty clothes, so unwashed that I could smell him around my door area hours later - he looked like roadkill , almost unhuman . He certainly wasn't nice to know or respectful - why do that ? It's still bothering me a year later !

NanKate Thu 28-Apr-16 06:01:08

My mum always tried to look smart and wore makeup each day. She would work in the morning and smarten herself up in the afternoon.

About a week before she died we visited her. She with the help of her carer had put on a lovely sweater and trousers and put her full make up on. It must have taken such a great effort. She knew she was dying but wanted to leave me with a positive image of herself. smile Sob.

textureonline Thu 09-Nov-17 00:13:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Greyduster Thu 09-Nov-17 15:24:34

More for friends than relatives, who are in short supply these days. Those that are left are used to me looking like a bag lady, so they would probably drop through the floor if I turned up scrubbed, suited and booted.