Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

So what do I do now?

(46 Posts)
phoenix Fri 26-Aug-16 23:37:25

Evening all, as many will now I took the plunge a month or so ago,and after about 3 hours in the salon emerged with hair sort of between ash and Champagne blonde, having gone in with a rather startling shade of red!

I now have almost white roots (not that it's particularly noticeable) and can decide between just letting the colour grow out, or having some fun experimenting with different shades of grey/blond, although that would put me back into the maintenance thing!

However, my eyebrows are still brown, yes, the odd grey/white one, but definitely darker than my hair!

Any advice?

Chrishappy Sun 28-Aug-16 12:11:58

Stick with the grey, but make sure your eyebrows are groomed, maybe have them threaded or shaped professionally,its not expensive, you'd look sfunning

Legs55 Sun 28-Aug-16 12:35:50

I stopped having my hair coloured in my mid 40s having progressed from hi-lites to full colour (blond). My late DH had never seen my natural colour (mousey brown) so I decided to let colour grow out - result mixture of grey & blond, I love it, frequently been asked by hairdressers if I have colour on my hair - no. Go for it & see what happens, if you don't like it you can always have it coloured again smile

wellingtonpie Sun 28-Aug-16 12:40:32

I'd love to go grey but my daughter and partner don't. So I'm really scared. I have black eyebrows so reckon I'd look a bit odd. My hairdresser says my grey hair isn't really a very nice colour. So there it is. Just have to colour a bit longer. I'm 67 ?

Lewlew Sun 28-Aug-16 13:26:07

Nessie19 I love your hair and haircut! smile

Icyalittle Sun 28-Aug-16 13:36:31

I think dark brows with grey / silver hair look very elegant. Think Christine Lagarde, head of the IMF

RAF Sun 28-Aug-16 13:42:14

Having my hair professionally coloured is my one expensive luxury, and I do get a lot of compliments. Went from my natural dark mouse to lighter mouse, to sunbleached mouse to blond over the years, and it is great as no roots noticeable and I only have to have it coloured once very two months. Can't see me changing in the near future. It is what makes you feel happy with that is important!

Stansgran Sun 28-Aug-16 14:08:58

I beg my Dd to get the name of Christine Lagarde's hairdresser. She is my role model.

Neversaydie Sun 28-Aug-16 14:35:22

Am considering going silver after years of having hair dyed dark brown ( bit lighter than my natural colour)
I thought the easiest way would be to have it cut short and grow it out but my hairdresser reckons bleaching out the dye (may have to do it twice at a weeks interval. I'll have to go into retreat for that)) and going silver overnight is less 'giving in'and more of a 'fashion statement ' I too still have dark eyebrows .
Anyone tried doing it that way?

Disgruntled Sun 28-Aug-16 15:08:40

Mine's white and the liberation is wonderful! I don't even dry it these days.

Nandalot Sun 28-Aug-16 16:00:33

I didn't colour my hair but unlike my mum, gran and even son, I have been slow going grey/white. ( They were all white by 30!) I got fed up with just a few bits of grey and my hair had become rather lifeless, I decided to have dark and light highlights. It seems to have worked quite well. It looks natural but has given my hair a lift. I have had lots of compliments so I assume it looks ok. I am hoping that because of the streaks it will not be too noticeable as it grows out. I shall keep doing it for a while and then let it grow out and hopefully the transition stage will be past and I will either be totally Greg or white.

Nandalot Sun 28-Aug-16 16:02:23

grey of course not Greg!

gillyknits Sun 28-Aug-16 16:49:28

Go platinum like I have.!! Everyone says how much it has lifted my appearance.My hair is very white at the front but a sort of rusty Brillo pad colour at the back. So I went for the white platinum all over. The roots don't show at the front and very little at the back. I do, however, keep it short as I think it needs any ends trimming which would be dry. My eyebrows have gone white so I have to colour them in every day.

1974cookie Sun 28-Aug-16 17:37:32

I think that the most important thing to remember about hair is that is not the grey/white hair that is ageing, but the style and condition. I think that nothing looks as chic with grey/white hair than a classic shiny Bob. It can knock years off a woman. A friend of mine, after years of dyeing her hair has let her hair grow out to it's natural grey colour. Trust me, she looks great.

Crafting Sun 28-Aug-16 20:05:07

Phoenix don't colour it please. Let it grow and see what sort of grey it is first. I really like grey hair, particularly the silvery or white kind. You can always colour it later if you don't like it. P.S. We would like pictures on progress please. If you don't like it I have provided hats! ⛑ ? ? ?

f77ms Sun 28-Aug-16 20:22:51

PHeonix have you considered the new product which you spray on the roots to cover them until the next visit to the salon . Boots do loads of different brands . I am about to try one because my colour is growing out and showing awful grey roots ! I will never let my hair go grey , I intend to grow old disgracefully and always colour my hair and wear make up even though it is a bit of a pain keeping up with it ,for me its worth the hassle .

manny Sun 28-Aug-16 22:26:37

I stopped having highlights put in about ten years ago - much to my daughters' horror! It has saved me hundreds of pounds and many frustrating hours at the hairdresser. Fortunately, I was able to look at my father's silver hair and to realise that mine was going to go the same way. I am often stopped in the street by people asking what I've done to it! it's a bit strange - many people think I'm a sort of white blonde colour. As for eyebrows - well, I lost most of those years ago. Very sparse. So I've gone for semi permanent makeup. I've had them done about three times now. Saves a lot of time - no more squinting in the mirror to pencil them on. One daughter refers to them as 'Mum's tattoos'! The other will never be told I've had them done. I'd never hear the end of it!

Bennan Sun 28-Aug-16 23:15:08

After not having seen my real colour since I was about twenty-eight, I took the plunge two years ago and with the help of my very experienced stylist went back to my natural colour. I, being a total numpty when it comes to hair care assumed that she would just colour it grey and that would be it! But no, it wasn't that easy. She put in lowlights for about six months and it changed so slowly that nobody really noticed. My natural colour is really lovely and I have been complimented on it quite a few times. It is really easy to keep and with the help of Morrocan oil and ciment fabrique it has a real shine and always looks healthy. Have a go at changing your hair, if you don't like it you can always have it recoloured. Think Helen Mirren, you can't go wrong!

f77ms Mon 29-Aug-16 09:07:56

Brennan Helen Mirren colours her hair , she advertises the dye she uses on TV !

trisher Mon 29-Aug-16 09:36:15

Try some of the shampoos and conditioners out there for silver or blonde hair, some of them definitely have a lightening effect. There are also spray in blonding products that you can use for roots or streaks.

seacliff Mon 29-Aug-16 14:33:25

Phoenix if you want to lighten your eyebrows a bit, I have used Jolen cream bleach in the past, just don't leave it long, mine were so black, it looked wrong with my lighter brown hair. I now have the opposite problem, eyebrows have some strong white hairs and some brown which I hate, so I use beard dye to get a soft brown all over!!

Re your hair, knowing your hair history a bit from GN, suspect you may not be content to be just white/silver forever. Why not let it grow a bit, and possibly add a temporary flash of something bright, that washes out? maybe this type of thing www.superdrug.com/Colour-Freedom/Colour-Freedom-Magenta-Dream-067/p/386004