Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Feel liberated, but.....

(31 Posts)
phoenix Tue 21-Mar-17 20:12:37

Evening all, hope everyone is well, and if not, sending good wishes.

Well, it has been quite a few months since my poor hairdresser and I had a marathon 4 hour session converting my dyed dark red hair to a sort of grey.

The process went like this:
1)Apply bleach, leave on, rinse. Result? Sort of pink/apricot.
2) Dry hair to be ready for next stage!
3) Apply more bleach, leave on, rinse.
4) Dry hair, ready for next stage.
5) Apply sort of ash blonde colour.
6) Wait, rinse.
7) Result! Cut and dry.

Well, of course my hair was left in really awful condition, can't blame my hairdresser, but over time it's now ok.

So, apart from the odd dalliance with temporary hair colours, namely Silver (pretty good) and Steel (not so keen) I am now completely natural!

Most of my hair is silver/white, some of the back bits seem to be more iron grey.

It is brilliant not to have to worry about roots anymore, especially as my hair is very fast growing, and of course there is a financial saving too.

However, when I catch sight of myself unexpectedly, I don't feel I look like "me"!

Yes, there are more important things in life, (and I am currently dealing with some) but sometimes the way we feel about ourselves can matter!

I don't want to go back to high maintenance, I.e. having to deal with roots and regrowth, but would like to do something to give a bit of a lift.

Any ideas?

rosesarered Tue 21-Mar-17 20:19:03

Have some dark blonde/honey blonde highlights put through it ( it's wot I do) I only have to do it every 6 months.The new growth hardly shows if your hair is grey, and it looks a bit younger. smile On the other hand Phoenix you could live with your newly grey hair for a few months longer, you may get used to it.

Marydoll Tue 21-Mar-17 20:23:39

At the weekend I complimented an acquaintance, I hadn't seen for a while, on the lovely colour of her hair. Her reply: " My hair is really grey, I just use a coloured, wash out, mousse on it". she looked great.

Nanabilly Tue 21-Mar-17 21:45:39

There are some products available to lift grey hair and make them a lovely bright shiny colour . Shampoo as regular and another product that you use weekly ...called silver something or other . I know a couple of folks who have used them and it's worked a great . Sorry I'm a bit vague on names of product but they are available in hair care aisle in Tesco and no doubt the other major stores.

Jayanna9040 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:34:22

Book a makeup session with a professional if you haven't changed your make up. What fitted with your dark hair won't work now. And yes make sure your hair shines. That's probably all the lift it needs.

grannyactivist Wed 22-Mar-17 10:16:19

It's probably a case of living with it long enough to get used to it. I went accidentally blonde about fifteen years ago when a brownish hair dye bleached blonde in the sun; the change was so gradual I didn't really register it until I went to the hairdresser and she asked me if I wanted to stay blonde. Now I can't imagine myself with brown hair.

dragonfly46 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:42:21

Going natural was the best thing I ever did and everyone compliments me on the colour of my hair. A friend told me it would cost a fortune to get all the colours in that I have in my grey/fair hair artificially.

Lindaloulabel Wed 22-Mar-17 10:45:36

After retiring I decided to stop colouring my hair as couldn't be bothered. That was 2 1/2 years ago. I have brown hair with the odd grey renegade. I went to the hairdressers last week and she said I like this shade on you it's a bit lighter than usual. I had to tell her it must be because I go swimming 4 times a week lol.grin

icanhandthemback Wed 22-Mar-17 10:50:45

I am currently growing out my dyed locks as bleaching every few month is so damaging to the hair. My DM, who has steadfastly refused to go naturally grey, is horrified that I could give in to "ageing." I must admit, I didn't realise I had so much dark hair left but I am still about 60 percent grey, possibly more. I want to try out some natural dyes (like a coffee rinse) when I have completely grown out the grey and live in hope they may just help give a little colour to the "transparent" hair!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 22-Mar-17 11:45:40

My hair is more 'pepper and salt' these days and I don't mind it one bit. In time you'll get more used to it. How about a pair of colourful earrings, a nicely draped scarf and flattering lipstick to balance your face?

Craftycat Wed 22-Mar-17 11:45:44

When I started going greyish I started having high/low lights & I love it. My hairdresser uses something that is not bleach & very gentle & my hair has never been in such good condition.

I am not ready for grey yet but I have the odd streaks of it which look natural & more like blondish.

Revis Wed 22-Mar-17 11:58:42

I've been naturally grey for several years and find Argan Blonde Silverising Shampoo & Conditioner from Superdrug is great. It "naturalises yellow, brassy tones" and has UV filters. I finish off with Indola Silver Color Mousse (internet) and for something special use OSMO Blinding Shine spray which always brings lots of compliments (far more than when I used to dye my hair)

gettingonabit Wed 22-Mar-17 12:27:06

A wig! Seriously - I've been considering this as I'm unhappy/ bored with my hair.
You can get some lovely funky colours now.

Legs55 Wed 22-Mar-17 13:53:34

15+ years I decided to stop colouring my hair (blonde) & was going to let it go back to mousy brown, never happened, I have a lot of grey in my hair, result is I have lovely natural blonde hair. Hairdressers always ask if I have colour on. How lovely not to spend hours (& money) at Hairdressers any more, just a cut & blow drysmileOh & I'm only 61 now so been natural since my 40sgrin

Pamted Wed 22-Mar-17 13:55:43

Please don't go down the wig route. My dear MIL has always dyed her hair. She is now over 90 and says that people don't expect her to have grey hair! As she/and her hair dresser are now unable to dye her hair she has resorted to a wig. A black pixie cut. She asks if people can tell it's a wig. No it is totally normal for an 91 year old to have jet black thick hair. I am a great disappoinment to her as I have refused to dye my hair. I am happy to age naturally - got more important things to worry about smile

goldengirl Wed 22-Mar-17 13:59:20

My hairdresser recommended Bleach London Rose shampoo as I swim most days and don't want to spend a fortune on colouring. This shampoo warms up my greying hair and in some lights there is a hint of pink - if you know it's there. I leave it on during my after swim shower and then rinse it off. Noone has noticed the colour but I've received compliments. It certainly feels soft and smells pleasant. I'm now thinking of getting the conditioner.

cornergran Wed 22-Mar-17 15:11:04

phisnix I did the same things. Yes, give it time, but also look at your clothes. I needed a change of colour near my face, sometimes just a scarf did it, gradually I have changed the colours I buy. I get lots of compliments, I'm sure you will too.

cornergran Wed 22-Mar-17 15:11:52

Sorry. phoenix, iPad-itis!

wellingtonpie Wed 22-Mar-17 15:19:15

Hello phoenix. I did exactly the same thing and for the same reason. Cost, fast growing hair etc. I do feel amazing and so liberated. The hair round my face is quite silver while the rest is sort of black going to grey. A few people have commented on it, said how good it looks. My dear partner however isn't so sure. He says he likes it but I do get the odd comment like, "do you think you look like Teresa May". Really, I'm a titch at 5ft. But I really like it. It's here for keeps.

wellingtonpie Wed 22-Mar-17 15:23:04

Also, it's a new look. Clothes, make up. It's a whole new ball game and it's quite exciting. ?

J52 Wed 22-Mar-17 16:09:23

I also went natural grey when I got fed up with my hairdresser and wanted a change. Condition is very important, I use Faith in Natue organic coconut shampoo and conditioner, finished with a spritz of Inecto coconut oil.

MawBroon Wed 22-Mar-17 16:15:06

Like cornergran I would say reassess your wardrobe. It doesn't matter how much you liked that camel/brown/green thing , you need to look at what will brighten your face. Ironically, I find grey plus white best, then cobalt blue and at long last pink!!
White near the face reflects light on to it. Try it and see. Lipstick and bolder makeup may also be called for smile
You will know when it is right. Getting a shone into grey /silver hair is also important, a quick spritz with Moroccan oil shine does the job for me.

Morgana Wed 22-Mar-17 16:35:14

I developed a scalp rash and stopped colouring my hair about 6 months ago
When the hairdresser gave me the mirror last Friday I freaked out to see self with white hair! Friends have asked me if I've gone blonde and some have not recognised me! I too am thinking I'll have to wear softer colours and maybe go for a lighter shade of foundation. Have saved a lot of money! It's actually quite a nice colour not grey but white.

Caro1954 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:02:59

Thankyou Revis! I'm happy with my almost grown out hair but would like to try products specifically for it. Now I'd like new lipstick, one that stays put and doesn't dry your lips out!

Caroline123 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:05:55

I had mine cut very short and decided to go natural,which is a sort of steel grey.
Kept it for about 18 months, and then asked my hairdresser to make it lighter, preferably white. It went yellow blonde and looked awful.so I needed up colouring it myself, so now it's back to mid brown,and to be honest I prefer it.