Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wrinkly arms

(67 Posts)
wellingtonpie Thu 18-May-17 09:04:23

Never mind bingo wings. What do you do with arms that ate wrinkly. I use a body butter every day but it doesn't make a lot of difference. I wonder if using serum that you'd use on your face would help. But that's quite expensive. Any ideas?

Madmartha Fri 19-May-17 10:25:30

If I lie down and look at my arm raised above my face it's like looking at something from a horror film - how did that happen? Rest of me not too bad but arms wrinkled like an old lady's - gulp - I'm only 69. I'll bare them on the beach in a cossy but unless it's really hot here, it's sleeves for me, preferably 3/4 length

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-May-17 10:36:34

Loss of elasticity is all part and parcel of the ageing process and over indulgence in sunbathing doesn't help.Loss of weight will emphasise it even more.Don't despair it can be 'fixed' at a cost! So get yourself a cosmetic surgeon to tighten it up in that area OR keep them under wrap and moisturise. I always believe as we grow older going sleeveless is a NO , and in warm weather sleeves should be rolled up to just above the elbows.
Wrinkly arms show your age and are not a pretty sight.

wellingtonpie Fri 19-May-17 10:36:58

I know how you feel. I'm 68 ?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-May-17 10:37:55

Missed out despair.

JanaNana Fri 19-May-17 10:49:04

Everyone,s arms become wrinkly as they age......some quicker than others. People who spend a lot of time in the sun over the years are more prone to this sooner rather than later. Drinking lots of water regularly helps to keep your whole body hydrated and more healthy looking but once the wrinkles arrive on your arms nothing really much you can do. I read a magazine article which suggested that taking a bath as opposed to a shower was actually far more beneficial to your body as a whole .Not only was it relaxing but the health benefits included better skin overall: more impurities and dead skin cells removed in a 20 minute soak than in a shower.Using lots of moisturiser immediately after getting dry so it penetrated properly. I know many people now prefer a shower for speed, convenience and older people who have difficulty using a bath but I believe that bathing does help to keep your skin healthier and plumper including arms.Try using Shea Butter as a moisturiser or Superdrug All over Body Cream.Both of these are inexpensive and make your skin feel re- hydrated.

Coco51 Fri 19-May-17 10:52:34

I think it's an 'over the hill or under it' concern. I look at my still wrinkly after moisturising dry arms and legs and cannot believe they belong to me. But they do and that's life - I don't relish the alternative!

Craftycat Fri 19-May-17 10:57:54

I know - I hate my arms starting to wrinkle- mostly around inner elbow area.
I can't even keep them covered as I cannot wear any type of sleeve at all when weather gets warm.I just get too hot-it's strappy tops for me if I am not going to pass out. I have always had this problem since I was a child- cannot bear anything touching my neck either- winter or summer.

Now I have noticed that the top of my thighs are starting too. Luckily shorts will still cover them!

Granny1sland Fri 19-May-17 10:57:58

My DGS, age 4, says the skins on my arms and hands is 'too big for me'! Nice way of putting it!

Sulis Fri 19-May-17 11:26:28

I wouldn't worry about other people looking at your wobbly bits. Everyone else is too worried that you are looking at theirs!!

LesleyC Fri 19-May-17 11:41:33

Mine are the same and no amount of gym work or creams will reverse the loose surface skin and lack of collagen which causes this. I still moisturise, but just to stop my skin being dry, and no longer wear anything sleeveless.

Felicia Fri 19-May-17 12:11:20

How about drinking plenty of water ? It certainly worked wonders for my friend. Her skin became much improved

Heckter Fri 19-May-17 12:20:38

I am a retired fitness instructor, and still do weight training in the gym and exercise every day. So it was hard for me to accept that there is no getting around the fact that we lose muscle tone as we age, which we can improve on just a little. But when we lose elasticity in our connective tissue, there's no amount of anything that will make a difference. The speed of the loss is down to genes, and they keep telling us, too much sun: my childhood was spent in a hot climate.

So, accept that we all get wrinkly, and if it upsets you, cover it up, but try to get to the stage where you don't care: younger people need to be aware that it happens to everyone eventually.

farview Fri 19-May-17 12:22:16

...same problem here....BUT my young nephew had his left arm ripped off at work.he nearly lost his life too!! So I will opt for the wrinkles..and 2 arms!!

aggie Fri 19-May-17 12:38:17

thin and wrinkly , plump and smooth(ish) take your pick hmm

sluttygran Fri 19-May-17 12:59:53

At nearly 69, my arms are definitely a bit crinkly, but the thing that helps most is exfoliation. It won't get rid of wrinkles altogether, but improves the appearance immensely. Use whatever 'scrub' that you like, follow with your favourite cream or oil, and do it regularly. Drinking lots of water really does help, too, plus making sure you have an adequate diet.

Lilylilo Fri 19-May-17 13:28:07

Sorry to b depressing but nothing makes skin look younger when you are getting on!
A massage or a facial may leave you with a healthy glow but nothing removes the ravages of time no matter how expensive! Just keep moisturised all over ....

joannewton46 Fri 19-May-17 13:38:24

We are all different. Celebrate what makes you you and s_d what anyone else thinks.

shysal Fri 19-May-17 13:59:11

I exercise with weights but am still plump and wrinkly, so you can't win! If the weather is hot I bare my arms around home, but for out and about I choose sleeves which end just above the elbow. If I can't find what I want I buy long sleeves and shorten them. I have a few Joules tops with a curved back hem, which are a good fit on me, to which I have done this.

grandMattie Fri 19-May-17 14:19:40

If only it was just my arms!
I look at my stomach and want to cry - ME! who was thin as a rake until menopause/AD took over...
Ah well, I don't really care - just sad. I'll go with you Coco51.
Old age is not for sissies - but try not to let it take you over.

Daddima Fri 19-May-17 14:47:25

I'm liking the Aveeno stuff ( 25% off in Boots just now!)

Victoria08 Fri 19-May-17 15:34:42

It's definitely an age thing. I am very slim with not a lot of flesh on my arms, and they have become wrinkly too.

I am conscious of them when I wear sleeveless tops, but can't bring myself to cover up in hot weather as I think any skin looks a little better with a light tan.
Also it's too hot if you go abroad on holiday.

I use Boots No.7 body serum on legs and arms, but doubt if the wrinkles can be reversed.

Esspee Fri 19-May-17 15:56:41

Easiest way to get rid of the wrinkles is to expand. I achieve this by eating lots of delicious food. Highly recommended!

GrandmaMoira Fri 19-May-17 16:31:18

My arms aren't particularly wrinkly but the bingo wings are terrible, especially since I lost weight. It's suggested we cover the arms but I can't bear this in hot weather. Also, though I have generally thin arms I'm restricted in what I can buy as sleeves are often too tight at the top now. I used to have the opposite problem!

Willow500 Fri 19-May-17 18:36:00

If I bend forward it looks like the skin is trying to run off my hands shock I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and as I've always had a 'good arm' as my mother used to put it (aka heavy) the skin is now just too big! Not a lot we can do about it - I just accept that I have to wear long sleeves or lacy ones. There are worse things we could have.

Lewlew Fri 19-May-17 18:51:24

If you want to feel young again, lay flat on your back and hold a hand mirror over your face... gravity very nicely gives you back some years to reminisce over. Want to know what's coming? Put that hand mirror flat on a table and stand over it, look down and watch gravity read your fortune. (Saw this on the Golden Girls many years ago, good ol' Blanche).

Wobbly bits and loose skin are nature's way of taking us out of the reproductive race (men, too), unless you are blessed with great genes. It's a youth-obsessed society and the beauty industry today that wants you to be dissatisfied.

Once I've done the above, I realise I am very happy with what I have. My real age is in my head. Glad I can still see, hear, and am walking talking and toilet-trained and so can live with my post-menopause matronly shape. The alternatives are grim, unless you can affort a lot of plastic surgery. But even Joan Collins has to cover her arms. grin