Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Personal Shoppers?

(46 Posts)
fumanchu Tue 23-May-17 17:30:20

I'm having a nightmare trying to get clothes that suit me and fit me. I'm not very well and have ended up totally knackered after twice in a week spending far too long in stuffy airless small cubicles, fighting to get in and out of clothes. Came home in despair almost ready to cry! Has anybody used a personal shopper service in any of the big stores and did it help?

kittylester Tue 23-May-17 17:38:03

My daughter has and found it really helpful. I'd give it a go.

fumanchu Tue 23-May-17 17:40:45

Thank you Kitty I think I need to!

AyjayF Tue 23-May-17 18:52:23

Yes. I did this once when I needed outfit for a couple of graduations. It was at John Lewis. I had to book but it is a free service + it was excellent. The personal shopper collected a rail of clothes many of which I would not have thought to pick out.
There was no pressure + I didn't feel rushed. I would really recommend it. Good to take a friend if possible to give extra feedback.

Auntieflo Tue 23-May-17 19:44:58

Another thumbs up for John Lewis. I had this service when DS2 was to be married, in 2010, and got great service. Do they still offer this?

Purpledaffodil Tue 23-May-17 21:34:42

Me too! I just used JL service to find an outfit for DD's wedding. Stylist was really helpful, even running round shop to find possible jewellery and accessories. There was no pressure to buy. In fact she advised me to buy on line so I would have a perfectly fresh outfit and wrote me a list of names and sizes. Which I then ordered when I got home. We were even given a voucher for coffee and cake in their restaurant. It is great to have a large changing room and good mirrors too.Much recommended!

PamelaJ1 Wed 24-May-17 06:35:00

I treated my daughter to a personal shopper experience at the House of Fraser in Norwich. Very relaxed, refreshments provided. No pressure. No bags to carry around and lots of space to try things on. We had a very pleasant couple of hours.

Nannarose Wed 24-May-17 07:22:56

When my son was both hard up and needing to 'look good' he took his Xmas & birthday money into Selfridges and asked for a personal shopper. He only had enough money for one pair of trousers, 1 shirt & 1 jumper at 'non-designer'prices.
The shopper was brilliant, spent a couple of hours with him, and he learned a lot about his personal style that he still uses 20 years on, with more money to spend.

grannypiper Wed 24-May-17 08:31:44

House of fraser offer this service too, it is fantastic to be able to try clothes on in a normal size room and also to be able to only take and put on your own clothes once is sheer bliss

mags1234 Wed 24-May-17 09:38:44

Debenhams do it. Or on line shopping ?

goose1964 Wed 24-May-17 09:49:54

I won a persona shopping trip and I would recommend it to anyone

Persistentdonor Wed 24-May-17 09:51:05

Fumanchu, hope you are feeling in better health again soon. flowers

Plenty of recommendations here for good services. JL free! Wow. I shall definitely keep that in mind for the next time I must find a suitable outfit. smile Thanks everyone.

AliBeeee Wed 24-May-17 10:04:48

Another vote for John Lewis (Glasgow) too. I won £250 vouchers and a personal shopper experience 2 years ago...just after I had bought outfits for 2 family weddings.
I asked for help to update my casual style and can't recommend the stylist highly enough. Very relaxed atmosphere, lots of space, good lighting and mirrors. The stylist brought in lots of things I would never have looked at in the shop (I am even wearing one of the tops at the moment).

fumanchu - hope your health is better soon.

eebeew Wed 24-May-17 10:13:13

I find it easier to buy online. You can send them back at no cost if they don't suit you.

Caro1954 Wed 24-May-17 10:28:13

Yes, I'd recommend it Fumanchu. You need cheering up apart from anything else so I hope it's a happy experience. flowers

Lyndie Wed 24-May-17 10:33:05

I buy a lot of Mint Velvet clothes. Easy to wear, mostly stretchy, lots of room. Relaxed glamour. I don't look in all round mirrors. I imagine how I want to look and then wear with confidence. I am far too critical of myself. I hope you feel better soon.

Pentreath Wed 24-May-17 10:35:52

Another vote for John Lewis. Free service, no pressure and a very helpful and pleasant personal adviser. Delighted with the clothes I bought. I get overwhelmed by the amount of clothing on display and I would never have found the things she brought for me to try. I did say in advance what I was looking for - straight, classic trousers, two summer tops with sleeves etc.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 24-May-17 10:36:16

Not for me .Well for the personal shopper who would be climbing up the wall in frustration.
I know what colour suits me, and tend to stick with it adding accessories that can cost more than the outfit itself and turn a nothing on its own into a something.

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-May-17 10:55:58

I had a very frustrating experience just trying to book the personal shopper service in Debenhams in Leeds before my daughter's wedding. I gave up in the end and went to Harvey Nicks, where one of the sales assistants gave me great advice and help, looked for something in my budget, and found me the perfect dress smile.

Witzend Wed 24-May-17 12:20:16

I hadn't booked it, but an assistant in John Lewis helped me for ages when I was looking for a dress to wear to a daughter's wedding.
I had been in despair at ever finding anything that wasn't typical 'mother of the bride' stuff in salmon pink, or too formal, or that screamed staid older woman, or anything that was pretty, but too short, or sleeveless. Or too hot to be suitable for a warm, largely outdoor wedding.
Sadly she couldn't find a bloody thing, either.

I found something online in the end.

Barbarae Wed 24-May-17 15:29:31

I did this in Debenhams for my sons wedding and also, sadly, for his funeral in a different store. On both occasions the personal shopper was amazing. Brought me things that I wouldn't have looked twice at and were endlessly patient. No pressure at all and I got well suited at a price I could afford. I would def use again.

Lewlew Wed 24-May-17 15:48:43

Barbarae Wed 24-May-17 15:29:31 That is so sad... flowers

glammanana Wed 24-May-17 15:58:49

fumanchu Go and book yourself a personal shopper try and book mid-week when the store of your choice is not too busy and the PS has loads of time for you,think out of the box and you will be plesently surprised,as someone suggested try and take a pal with you then you can both make a day of it by following up with a nice lunch.

phoenix Wed 24-May-17 16:23:18

Before my mother died, she used me as her personal shopper, would park herself in a cubicle and have me running around like a blue bottomed fly bringing things to her.

Of course that was before she died (silly Phoenix) she couldn't have done it after, although my son not asking me, meant she was buried in the wrong outfit. Oh well.

phoenix Wed 24-May-17 16:27:03

Oops, pressed too soon!

I would love to get some independent, professional advice, as the weight gain since giving up smoking (15 months now) plus the colour change in my hair means that I really should be re thinking what I wear.