Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Personal Shoppers?

(47 Posts)
fumanchu Tue 23-May-17 17:30:20

I'm having a nightmare trying to get clothes that suit me and fit me. I'm not very well and have ended up totally knackered after twice in a week spending far too long in stuffy airless small cubicles, fighting to get in and out of clothes. Came home in despair almost ready to cry! Has anybody used a personal shopper service in any of the big stores and did it help?

Rosina Wed 24-May-17 16:35:11

A wonderful service from Dickens and Jones, and I hear Fenwicks are also very good. No pressure, and perfect outfits brought with shoes, hats, bags and jewellery. Not the most expensive either - my lady brought mid price and designer, and we all agreed the mid price outfit looked best. A real help if you are struggling.

glammanana Wed 24-May-17 16:38:46

phoenix Take yourself off somewhere when you have time and treat yourself to an afternoon in store with a PA,again try and go mid week when they are not busy they will be glad to be doing something I'm sure,you don't have to buy there and then the PA will not be offended in any way she will keep your information for when you are ready to purchase anything that suits you.I have only been when I have to go to a wedding etc.when I have to look like a grown up any other time its jeans/legging and t-shirt/leather jacket.

Moneyboss Wed 24-May-17 17:24:30

I went to Rackhams for a wedding outfit and a lovely assistant became my personal shopper, helping me with what suited me and colours that didn't suit. It was a lovely experience and would highly recommend it.

Coolgran65 Wed 24-May-17 18:47:58

I've never done it and have run myself ragged looking for outfits for 3 close family weddings.
Never again, only one ds to go and I will use a personal shopper.

Treat yourself op. smile

123kitty Wed 24-May-17 20:03:09

You should really enjoy the personal shopper experience- there really is no pressure to buy (which often stops some giving it a try) go for it- good luck

phoenix Wed 24-May-17 20:13:42

Thanks glam,will bear it in mind.
??
lewlew did you mean to put a link in you post? Bit confused

Daisyboots Wed 24-May-17 20:38:15

I have never used a personal shopper but we had a talk from one who was a lovely friendly person and I would use one if I needed to. 12 years ago I had my colours done plus went the whole way and had makeup and clothes shapes too. So I now find it much easier to choose clothes by colour and shape. But my biggest problem is the length of dresses because being tall they always only come to my knees. Not a good look in your 70s with chubby knees. Seriously thinking of cutting a dressy maxi dress to calf length for a wedding in August.

Shizam Wed 24-May-17 21:43:16

Gosh,,why have I not thought of trying this? Too late for latest wedding. But next time...

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-May-17 22:25:25

Even Topshop offers the service. Not much use to me, as I always feel I age 20 years when I cross its threshold...

marpau Thu 25-May-17 16:03:41

I used one at Debenhams for a wedding outfit it was fabulous for full outfit which I would not have necessarily put together but it worked.

NannaComic Thu 25-May-17 16:04:14

I am tempted to use a Personal Shopper but do you give them a tip afterwards as a thank you?

downsized Thu 25-May-17 16:50:51

Ooo, I like this idea. Maybe I should try it before I go cruising with Galen. I have no formal evening clothes and don't want to let the side down, although I definitely can't compete with her pearls wink

Pippa000 Fri 26-May-17 05:35:01

I bought DiL a clothes voucher from Debenhams for Christmas and it came with a free consultation with a personal shopper, although I didn't know it at the time. She had a fantastic day, did't buy much there, but said he gave her a lot of ideas for future.

KirbyGirl Fri 26-May-17 12:40:38

Lots of lovely good advice - but am confused about Galen and the pearls downsized!

annsixty Fri 26-May-17 12:49:25

You are obviously a newcomer* kirbygirl* as Galen is famous for her Pearl collection and has to decide before each cruise which ones to take.
Jealous? Moi? You bet I am?

Trinity Sat 27-May-17 13:03:02

Hi - I am a bit late joining this discussion but really feel for you. I have recently trained to be a personal stylist and would be happy to help to volunteer my help if I can. Which part of the country do you live in. It would be great to get you to feel more confident about yourself and feel good in what you wear.

micael Fri 09-Jun-17 15:10:07

i have been searching for a jacket for my grandson and i found this website that sells mens clothes. is this brand a good option for a young man as a gift?

theidleman.com/brands/barbour.html

Riverwalk Fri 09-Jun-17 15:13:29

Barbour jackets are good for men/boys of all ages.

micael Fri 09-Jun-17 15:20:45

Okay thank you for the reply. i am now confident on making a purchase.

Serkeen Fri 09-Jun-17 15:37:06

fuhumanch why not order online, soo much easier, just make sure that it is free returns so if they don't fit you you can return them for free, much much better than traipsing round the shops or paying for a personal shopper, although a personal shopper would also be nice.

If you do want a personal shopper just go to Yell.com and put in personal shopper and then your area and hey presto smile

fumanchu Sun 11-Jun-17 20:23:03

Sorry been awol, wee bit tired and then couldn't find this thread anywhere!. Thank you so much ladies smile Once again, excellent help and friendly support. I went up to town one morning and had an awful day, felt ill, got panicky so just sat in the coffeeshop had a rest then came home. Tried again a few days later and managed to get some things. Next time I will DEF book the personal shopper though. Just having to admit that I need help and special treatment is really annoying me. I wish I had a close friend I could take with me, only got my daughter who is always at work or busy. Thanks again grannies! xx