Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Realistic fashion advice

(109 Posts)
Cagsy Wed 07-Jun-17 11:51:32

I've just looked through the advice GN offers to over 50s on how to wear certain fashions, so why do all the models look like lovely slim women in their 30s? Surely this site should offer us some more realistic images to give us some good suggestions - you certainly can't find them anywhere else.
I'm mid 60s, 5' 2" and overweight, I'm not frumpy but would love to look a little more stylish but no one offers realistic images. Through reading comments from GNs I discovered the joy of legging/jeggins and tunics and actually got some very positive comments from people when I started wearing them. We all seem to know that we need longish tunics that cover tummy and bum but all the images are of slim women with waistlines like I had 30 years ago.
Does anyone agree with me that we'd like GN to offer us something more realistic, I think their images could be from MN? Maybe GN could be a trendsetter here and who knows the media may start to notice we exist!

MawBroon Fri 23-Jun-17 20:37:19

jalima gringrin

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:17:31

wot's a phot? confused

Jalima1108 Fri 23-Jun-17 20:16:18

I found some cream trousers (in the sale) and a cream and black loosish top (will be more floaty when I lose more weight). I felt more comfortable in trousers even though it was hot.

You do look very glam in that phot MawBroon wink. I like the hair but can't wear mine long like that.

callgirl1 Thu 22-Jun-17 17:51:59

Some lovely clothes on that site MawB, but a tad expensive for me, may get some ideas off there though.

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Jun-17 22:53:31

12 years ago I was married at age 56 wearing soft trousers and a matching long coat, aubergine sheer-ish fabric. Rag-tag-scraps stitched randomly onto the coat, and a fabulous head adornment that I found in m & s for £5.

I wore it again later that year for dss wedding.

For the wedding of another son I wore a full length black dress with taffeta soft structure jacket.

For 3rd son I wore chocolate colour trousers and scoop top with a chocolate linen/mesh/applique soft structured calf length coat.

You can tell I don't put my legs on show, too many veins. There are lovely outfits out there. What about personal shopper at Debenhams. We have one son left and if he sets the date that's what I will do.

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 22:35:21

www.box2.co.uk

MawBroon Wed 21-Jun-17 22:29:46

What about a long slimline skirt/dress and coat? Or, look at Box2 they do lovely coats which you can wear over a top and trousers or top and longish skirt.

callgirl1 Wed 21-Jun-17 22:25:31

I`ve just been told that one of my grandsons is getting married "sometime next year", and am already panicking about what to wear. I love dresses, but never feel dressed up anymore, as I can no longer wear tights, can`t put the things on anymore. But I don`t feel that trousers are suitable for a wedding, unless I find some that are really special.

Luckylegs9 Tue 20-Jun-17 07:28:28

I highlight the good bits, disguise the bad bits, now more numerous than the good. Think that getting a few key pieces that really suit you and working round that, if I wear leggings, and I am 70, I have longish top and boots, if I wear a skirt or dress now it is with black tights, love scarves and chunky jewellry, if I wear sleeveless I wear a web type cardigan or shrug. You can get lovely comfortable stylish footwear, there is do much choice. I love fashion and make up and can't see me changing. Granny sue, why would anyone want to enhance that area? The mind boggles. There is only so much of my body I want on display, I am gradually covering more and more.

M0nica Sat 17-Jun-17 07:31:20

Yuk!

Deedaa Fri 16-Jun-17 21:17:56

The worst version is when the leggings are flesh coloured. I've seen girls round here who might as well be walking about naked.

M0nica Fri 16-Jun-17 14:23:44

if you wear clothes that tight,it can only be because you want to reveal it, again a non-problem.

Coolgran65 Fri 16-Jun-17 11:26:58

I think camel toe is when you can see the outline and shape of the labia.

M0nica Fri 16-Jun-17 11:19:47

I just think the term is more disgusting than the the proper naming of parts and the problem is a non-problem. In over 60 years of trouser/legging/jegging/shorts wearing with every length or brevity of top, it has never ever occurred to me to even think about it, still less worry about it.

janeainsworth Thu 15-Jun-17 23:30:32

Monica I think the point about the camel toe knickers are that they deliberately enhance the anatomical detail of the pudendum by means of padding, rather like a padded bra.
I wear well-fitting trousers but the camel-toe knickers would be a step too far, for me.

DanniRae Thu 15-Jun-17 22:31:53

Don't shoot the messenger!

suzied Thu 15-Jun-17 21:26:28

Camel toe is not a good look, as in someone wearing tight leggings with a short top.

Cherrytree59 Thu 15-Jun-17 21:20:19

Well that's me told!!

M0nica Thu 15-Jun-17 16:57:56

What a ludicrous and quite unpleasant euphemism for describing the crotch or groin area of trousers.

What is the problem with the area? Are we meant to hide it less we offend someone? Why doesn't this apply to men as well?

Someone mentioned the tight trouser problem, presumably if you wear very tight trousers drawing attention to the crotch, you want it to be looked at. If you feel no need to indulge in such exhibitionism you buy a larger size or different style of trousers.

I wear short tops, long tops or tucked in and belted shirts with trousers. It all depends on the type of trousers/leggings I am wearing and how I think top and trouser look together.

I cannot be bothered with either the exhibitionism or the hint of prurience or prudity suggested by worries about the crotch area of trousers .

DanniRae Wed 14-Jun-17 14:18:48

Yes grannysue it is! blush.

grannysue05 Wed 14-Jun-17 13:43:07

Back to my post...apparantly you can buy camel toe KNICKERS to enhance .....uhum.....that area .... not tights as I first said. Im not a prude, far from it, but is this a step too far?smile

kittylester Wed 14-Jun-17 13:40:10

It's what my friend's daughter used to call her front bottom! grin

grannysue05 Wed 14-Jun-17 13:38:19

Thanks Cherrytree59 and DanniRae... I am now enlightened....DIL has texted me today (cos I asked her too !) that you can now buy special tights that ENHANCE this "area".....the mind simply boggles. I was brought up in the 1950's to cover the bottom appropriately when wearing trousers. How times have changed. blush

DanniRae Tue 13-Jun-17 17:47:49

How can I put it delicately? The camel hoof area is the area below the belt and at the front of a lady. Only relevant if the lady is wearing a very tight lower body garment. I hope this clears it up for you grannysue?? blush

Cherrytree59 Tue 13-Jun-17 17:45:33

Grannysue the V area top of legs when wearing trousers or jeans.