Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Is it possible to look 'cool' over 50?

(78 Posts)
bee63 Wed 14-Jun-17 10:01:17

Or should I just give up?

MawBroon Wed 14-Jun-17 10:09:52

www.pressreader.com/uk/the-daily-telegraph/20170614/281517931104550

Of course you can. Read today's article about Linda Fargo of Bergdorf Goodman.

(Unless this is a menopause related question, "Can you FEEL cool over 50?" ) grin

M0nica Wed 14-Jun-17 10:53:25

The media are full of pictures of women of all ages looking cool and 'with it'

Or you could try www.advanced.style/

Alima Wed 14-Jun-17 11:00:01

I do think that the meaning of "cool" in this context is utterly rediculous for anyone other than a teen. It would be far nicer to be thought of as smart, trendy, fashionable, having style wouldn't it?

Alima Wed 14-Jun-17 11:10:44

Oops, nearly forgot. ( Referring to another thread here). Unless of course the "cool" in this context has something to do with the menopause as Maw suggested.

kittylester Wed 14-Jun-17 11:11:29

Who cares!

I've just looked at Advanced Style and the first picture was not what I would call cool!shock

Elegran Wed 14-Jun-17 12:01:40

kitty most of them look as though they are trying hard to be cool, and posing theatrically. If I copied them I would not look good. I wear what I want to - and if it isn't cool, then tough.

Ana Wed 14-Jun-17 12:10:32

And all that makeup...shock

MawBroon Wed 14-Jun-17 12:13:51

Maybe? Maybe not!

M0nica Wed 14-Jun-17 12:17:59

I still go for all the older women you see in the media looking good:Judy Dench, Joanna Lumley, Helen Mirren to name but a few

kittylester Wed 14-Jun-17 12:18:42

Surely 'coolness' involves not trying too hard. Having said that, I don't try too hard and I definitely don't look cool. So that's that argument out of the window. confused

Ana Wed 14-Jun-17 12:41:06

Ah, but if you're not trying too hard to be cool and you don't, then you've succeeded kitty! grin

Elegran Wed 14-Jun-17 12:49:46

Judy Dench, Joanna Lumley, Helen Mirren look as though they are cool without trying, and without posing as cool examples.

gillybob Wed 14-Jun-17 13:04:40

I agree with Judy Dench but the other two just look plastic to me.

glammanana Wed 14-Jun-17 13:10:49

One of the ways to look "cool" is to look on U-tube as to how to fix a big scarf to your neckline,wear pencil/straight cut ankle length pants and a plain 3/4 sleeve shirt or thin jumper always go for the plain rather than the fussy.Helen Mirren is most womens idea as "cool".

Lazigirl Wed 14-Jun-17 13:15:55

I agree gillybob, but why can't we just enjoy what life we have left without the pressure of having to fit any "look"?

NanaandGrampy Wed 14-Jun-17 13:27:07

I couldn't look cool if I tried ! And I don't try.

And better than that .....I don't care if I don't look cool smile

And when I see so called 'cool' on catwalk models ....I laugh. Hysterically sometimes. If that's cool you can keep it. I'll take style over cool ( not that I have that either lol)!!

M0nica Wed 14-Jun-17 14:52:20

'Cool' is not what you wear but the way that you wear it.

Eloethan Wed 14-Jun-17 15:13:37

Yes it is - but unfortunately I haven't been able to manage it so far.

I don't think catwalk models look cool - I think they're hilarious.

henetha Wed 14-Jun-17 15:15:42

Am I meant to care about "cool"? If so, I have failed dismally.

Elegran Wed 14-Jun-17 15:53:50

I've been searching for an image I saw on Facebook, of a male model on a catwalk. He was wearing a grey suit jacket tucked into a pair of red shorts/underpants (some jacket sticking out below the legs of the underpants), long blue socks with other socks on top, trainers, dark glasses, a very short haircut, hairy legs and designer stubble. I imagine the designer thought that was cool.

I was going to post it for you all to admire, but I can't find it. Sorry!

grannypiper Wed 14-Jun-17 16:00:10

Mutton and lamb spring to mind when the middle aged try to look cool

kittylester Wed 14-Jun-17 16:13:26

Bet he looked really cool, Elegran.

I love Judi Dench's style and think Joanna Lumley looks fabulous (cloth probably my idea of cool!) but Helen Mirror is certainly not my idea of cool. Nor is a big scarf - I look daft in a big scarf. Though I do do plain. grin I make no pretensions about me looking cool so why am I on here? confused

mcem Wed 14-Jun-17 16:22:53

A couple of years ago my daughter persuaded me to try skinny jeans with a tunic top.
I wasn't too sure but my GD assured me that if ever she thought 'mutton dressed as lamb' she would tell me.
We have a pact!

bookdreamer Wed 14-Jun-17 16:24:32

I think the other women on Advanced Style look great. Some people like getting dressed up and being different. It makes them feel good. I would like to dress like them to a certain extent. And the make up I love. I'm becoming more bold with my make up as I get older.