Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Make up

(87 Posts)
Shirleyw Wed 26-Jul-17 05:22:54

Wondering what you put on your faces ?. These days I tend to use a tinted
moisturiser for work and that's it. When going out I tend to put on foundation, mascara and lipstick, sometimes bronzer . I used to put on eye liner but it's such a palaver with the magnified mirror I got fed up lol....also I like Laura Mercier products, do you have a particular favourite?

Humbertbear Wed 26-Jul-17 07:51:03

I use tinted moisturiser in the summer and a light foundation in the winter. I always use powder and I like blusher but have started using a highlighter and shaper compact as well. I've more or less given up on eye make up as I seem to be allergic to everything. I miss it though.

mumofmadboys Wed 26-Jul-17 07:59:26

I use a small amount of eye shadow and nothing else at all.

Maranta Wed 26-Jul-17 08:56:40

Light foundation to disguise the thread veins, a bit of brown eyeshadow as eyeliner and a touch of mascara.

ninathenana Wed 26-Jul-17 09:22:34

Day time I use moisturiser, powder, mascara and brow pencil.
For a dressed up occasion I add concealer, eye shadow and lippy.

Teetime Wed 26-Jul-17 09:41:21

Depends on what's happening. I always cleans and moisturise don't often use toner and these days serum, moisture surge and then moisturiser. If it's golf or a day at home- tinted moisturiser (Clarins) mascara and blusher, lip gloss/oil.
At home sometimes nothing but a thick layer of moisturiser and plenty of oil in my hair when washed.
To go out the full works after moisturisers primer (Clarins) concealer (Clinique) base (Chanel) blusher (Bobby Brown) Brow Zings (Benefit) eye shadows (Two Clarins) light dust of powder (Clarins) lipstick (Dior).
I like playing with make up and I feel I look better and feel more confident with it on. The brands I use are those I can get in this town there is only Boots which doesn't sell any good brands so I have to go into Leicester or Nottingham but haven't found anywhere selling Laura Mercier yet which I would like to try.

Teetime Wed 26-Jul-17 09:42:07

By the way all that lot only takes 5-10 minutes.

Oriel Wed 26-Jul-17 09:47:27

I use Nivea moisturiser, Clarins foundation, Urban Decay eyeshadow, Clinique mascara, Body Shop eyebrow makeup, various lipsticks, Clarins bronzer or blusher, guerlain meteorites for highlighting cheekbones. I use all of these every day using less or more dependant on the occasion. I tend to look washed out without it - especially since my eyebrows disappeared!

annsixty Wed 26-Jul-17 10:45:48

To the last 2 posts I can only say WOW.

Grannyboots1 Wed 26-Jul-17 10:53:10

I use Lancôme foundation, L'oreal bronzer and mascara, Max Factor lipstick. As I am fair haired I have tried many eye brow pencils and found that an Eyelure one isn't too harsh. It all takes 15 mins and I never leave the house without all of it. Even walking the dog!!

Shirleyw Wed 26-Jul-17 12:38:45

Thanks for replies....teatime, you do do the works..in .not a bad either..

BBbevan Wed 26-Jul-17 14:33:46

I use anything at hand. At the moment it is some stuff from M&S that DD gave me. I also use a rose oil occasionally. Since I always wear glasses I wear mascara and use a soft grey kohl pencil on my upper eyelid. Hardly ever wear lipstick, just a lip salve when I remember

0wlfred Wed 26-Jul-17 16:36:14

Nothing at all! I go for the weather-beaten look...

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Jul-17 16:39:19

Super impressed with your lightning speed, Teetime!

nightowl Wed 26-Jul-17 17:14:47

Would it be possible at some stage LauraGransnet to have a thread with a guest blog or Q and A or similar from a cruelty free cosmetics company? I believe Look Fabulous Forever is cruelty free, as is Pixi, and of course Beauty without Cruelty, but there aren't many of them around. Personally I think there have been too many from the larger non cruelty free brands.

gillybob Wed 26-Jul-17 18:09:02

OOOh you are such a brand queen Teetime

My "routine" if you could call it that is;

Tinted moisturiser, blusher, eye pencil, mascara, lip-gloss DONE.

Can anyone suggest a good waterproof mascara btw?

KirbyGirl Wed 26-Jul-17 19:03:15

I was interested to read this because I had thought of starting a thread myself after spending the day with an old school friend.

I thought her foundation was very heavy and seemed to sit in the wrinkles and she kept reapplying a violent shade of pink lipstick. She kept looking at me, likewise, because my make-up, after a longish walk, and two train journeys, had completely disappeared. Is there a foundation that covers without looking heavy, and that lasts? Ditto lipstick.

Nanabilly Wed 26-Jul-17 22:31:05

I use elemis products for my skin and mostly benefit or Bobby Brown make up. Day to day wear is a bit of bronzed ,mascara and lipstick and grow products. When I'm going out I wear primer. foundation. powder to set it and then blusher and bronzer to contour. I always do mascara and brows .If it's a really special outing I will do eyeshadow too.

horleyflyer Wed 26-Jul-17 22:35:33

I always use baby lotion as cleanser. In winter I might use a light foundation but in summer just some sunscreen on nicer days.
I use eyeshadow ,black liner and mascara.
Then lip liner and long lasting lipstick.
I will not go out without my lippy on! smile

horleyflyer Wed 26-Jul-17 22:37:11

Oh....and a smattering of powder over the t-zone coz I read that over the whole face it sits in creases and is ageing

Coolgran65 Thu 27-Jul-17 02:21:43

I do the works. Every day.
Estee Lauder 24 hour foundation
Eye shadow, Avon Glimmersticks liner
Rimmel waterproof mascara
Avon Glimmersticks brow filler in blonde
Rimmel lipstick Amethhyst
Blushed sometimes.
Shortish hair, run a bit of gel through it and rough it up.
I'm pale with very blonde lashes and eyebrows and look poorly without makeup. I'm 68.

Coolgran65 Thu 27-Jul-17 02:22:48

* blusher sometimes

Shirleyw Thu 27-Jul-17 04:05:33

Wow....
....I tend to go to John Lewis for my make up nowadays, I like having the mini make overs to help me decide, and I usually take the girl's advice .

Tea and cake Thu 27-Jul-17 07:42:28

Summer, factor 50 sunblock. Winter tinted moisturiser. Hide the blemish Stick in a couple of places. Lip gloss when I remember. Naturally dark eyebrows and eyelashes so leave those alone. I can see that I really do low maintenance but the more I put on the worse I look. Only really make up properly if going out for an occasion. Probably I'm just lazy! grin

Imperfect27 Thu 27-Jul-17 08:48:03

I have never been confident with make-up - had a very strict up-bringing along the lines of 'only tarts wear it' and never quite shook off that parental voice of criticism if I was tempted to be adventurous in my younger years. Over recent years, as the age defects have started to show, I have moved from not using anything at all apart from a light eye-shadow and mascara to experimenting with foundation and powder, but overall feel too 'made up' with the full works. I have recently been converted to using a body / facial butter as the foundation sticky - and just a light dusting of matte powder. It gives a gentle, natural look and is reliable for a few hours. Eye-shadow - still sparing and usually just a white / light beige and a bint of mascara. Never going to stop the world, but trying to make the best of it smile.