Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Does anyone still wear heels?

(91 Posts)
granoffour Thu 09-Nov-17 16:22:20

I've found three pairs of very dusty but beautiful high heel shoes in the back of my wardrobe. These days I either wear comfy trainers or biker boots. Even on an evening out I'll rather wear (warm) boots with a chunky very low heel. Will I ever wear these heels again? I'm not sure I want to resign myself to never wearing heels again. It feels like giving up on being young...

Leticia Thu 09-Nov-17 16:27:40

I see it as liberation! I refuse to wear anything that isn't comfortable these days.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Nov-17 16:31:35

I have just got myself dolled up for an evening out. Thick navy tights and short flay boots.

DanniRae Thu 09-Nov-17 16:38:28

No I don't wear heels - but, to be honest, I never did! I LOVE boots and have quite a few pairs - and in the summer I live in flip flops or dressy FLAT sandals.

Welshwife Thu 09-Nov-17 16:38:58

I still have a couple of pairs of heels I cannot bring myself to get rid of - one pair of plain navy court (Bally) and a pair of white Kurt Geiger sling backs - both were beautifully comfortable but I think when you wear flat shoes, boots and flip flops all the time your feet spread ( well mine seem to have done!)

glammanana Thu 09-Nov-17 16:47:18

I always wear heels when I wear a dress or a smart suit if I ever have to wear one,daily I am comfy in my boots/scholls/or trainers.

Luckygirl Thu 09-Nov-17 16:52:34

No No! - never ever in my whole life!!!

tanith Thu 09-Nov-17 16:53:41

I do wear heels for occasions but for daily wear it's boots,flats or sandals.

Swanny Thu 09-Nov-17 16:56:39

My posture is appalling since I stopped wearing high heels. I feel I really slump now and my chiropractor agrees! In an effort to improve said posture (and reduce consequential back pain) I have 2 pairs of suede boots with 1.5 to 2-inch wedge heels. I feel more elegant wearing them but can't walk too far or for too long in them (2-3 hours), but they do make me feel good!

Incidentally, I have 2 pairs of FitFl*ps sandals that are so comfortable I can wear them all day, yet a chiropodist recently told me they are not good for your feet. I was so shocked I didn't think to ask her why but she did agree that, as I found them sheer bliss to wear , I should continue.

Auntieflo Thu 09-Nov-17 17:03:33

No, not now. I live in flat shoes these days. I do have a pair of boots with a small heel, and will wear them when our DGS has his passing out parade soon. Like Welshwife I had a pair of Bally shoes that I couldn't get rid of for ages, they were a vanity buy and I never wore them blush. I'm afraid that these days comfort goes before fashion.

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 17:37:24

I never wear heels these days - but I think that my posture has got worse Swanny and I did wonder whether to look for some very comfortable shoes and boots with a small heel.

Chewbacca Thu 09-Nov-17 17:43:45

I have a beautiful pair of Christian Dior navy blue silk high heels in my wardrobe. Can't get them on my feet now, much less walk in them. sad

annsixty Thu 09-Nov-17 17:44:24

It is 11 years since my mother's funeral and I still have the black heels that I bought for that.
I don't think they were worn more than a handful of times but back in the day I wore them as high as were fashionable and all day as well.
Now it is completely flat to my dismay, I loved the elegance of high heels.

mimiro Thu 09-Nov-17 17:49:45

not often but once in awhile.mostly barefoot or boots.lots of boots some with 2-3 inch cuban style heels very comfortable.

travelsafar Thu 09-Nov-17 18:00:28

I didnt realise flat shoes affect your posture!!!

Eloethan Thu 09-Nov-17 18:15:29

I rarely wear a dress but when I do I wear heels - though not those very high ones.

I also wear heeled boots most of the time.

I wear trainers or trainer-type Clarkes shoes if I'm going to take the dog for a long walk.

jusnoneed Thu 09-Nov-17 18:16:44

I used to wear higher heeled shoes, and of course platforms.
Wear much flatter ones now but I have a couple pairs with 2" heels/wedges which I wear very occasionally. I would wear my low wedge sandals all year if I could!

Marmight Thu 09-Nov-17 19:28:57

I find heels so uncomfortable. I wore them in my teens but struggled even then. I wore low wedge type shoes at the DDs weddings but live in flat shoes, boots, trainers or thongs (flipflops). I do wish I could wear heels as they look so elegant, but it isn't worth the excruciating pain and discomfort

M0nica Thu 09-Nov-17 19:35:54

Apart from the year I was 18 I have never worn high heels. because as well as having very poor balance and a weak ankle, they were uncomfortable and I couldn't walk in them.

However I love pretty shoes and have worn a variety of midi-heeled shoes, Louis heels (or do they call then Kitten heels now?). I now have a collection of boots with stacked heels, wedge heels and stylish loafers.

Age has nothing to do with it. I still wear stylish shoes and boots and always will. Even young shop assistants have envied me my red ankle boots with stacked heels that I have been wearing this autumn

GrandmaMoira Thu 09-Nov-17 19:36:22

I've never managed to walk in high heels. I do have some lowish heels for special occasions such as weddings.

Crafting Thu 09-Nov-17 19:37:20

Funnily enough yes, today for the first time in ages. I am going somewhere where a long dress is required and I am short. (I wasn't but I've shrunk!). The skirt of the dress just touches the ground without heels. I found an old pair in the back of the cupboard and they give just enough lift to get the skirt off the ground. Now all I have to do is master walking in them again grin

HillyN Thu 09-Nov-17 19:43:39

Being above average height and three inches taller than my DH I have never worn high heels. When we got married in the 70's platform shoes were all the rage. He wore them, I wore ballerina pumps!

paddyann Thu 09-Nov-17 20:30:30

always wear heels always have ,even when I walked miles with a pram .I wear boots alot of the time but the lowest heels are 3 inch on ankle boots

Day6 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:42:47

I have some small heels for the odd occasion when I 'dress up' but they don't see the light of day very often.

I prefer comfort these days so live in trainer type shoes or boots. I do like them to be stylish though. I have seen some grey biker boots-cum-Doc Martens which I am contemplating buying but I'm dithering as to whether they are too brutish for me. grin And then I'd have to buy a grey bag to see me through the winter. Decisions, decisions.

In the summer I live in my flat sandals.

Smithy Thu 09-Nov-17 20:44:30

Yes I feel smarter and more feminine in heels. I have a couple of pairs of medium height heels which I feel more dressed in. I also like boots with block or Cuban heels, but do have flat ones for bad weather.