Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Whiskers - how do you deal with them?

(79 Posts)
Smurf52 Thu 16-Nov-17 11:02:57

Isn't it awful that we get those nasty bristly things on our upper lip and chins. I've been grappling with them for around 10 years. Initially I tweezered them. I tried the hair remover strips but either i wasn't doing it right or they dont work properly. Then when I had more cash available I went to beauty salons and had the lip and chin wax. Now I'm retired I can't afford that any more it's back to tweezers. I have tried a small shaving implement called Flawless which is great for quickness but i get a stubble unless I do it twice a day. My sister was my late mother's carer and used to shave her chin every day. When my sister went away for 2 weeks on holiday my mum (who was in her eighties) had a growth on her chin that would make a navy officer proud - I dread my chin getting that much hair when I'm old. What do other grans do with their whiskers?

Fennel Fri 17-Nov-17 12:48:09

ps I use tweezers.

GrannyK2014 Fri 17-Nov-17 12:51:19

Well; it's nice to know I'm in good company. I hate having to do it but use tweezers and magnifying mirror.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 12:54:52

In defence of the nono it seems to have taken care of my bristly, grey, fast growing whiskers. Just had a feel of my face and they are still gone. I did the nono about a month ago.

humptydumpty Fri 17-Nov-17 13:05:22

Years ago I had tweezers with an integral little magnifying mirror - does anyone have such a thing, and if so, where did you get it? - can't find now!

Andyf Fri 17-Nov-17 13:08:44

I started going for electrolysis 30 years ago. Every week to start with. I now go (to the same lady) every 6 months. I never have to pluck them in between. I pay £10 a visit.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 13:09:02

I think poundland sells them. I don't know what the tweezer would be like though.

silverlining48 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:47:58

Miss A. Am off to poundland then. On another tack i recently picked up a she wee in poundland for a friend who walks and often needs to find a place to ‘go’ but her knees are giving out so got this for her as a surprise present.
An older man standing there told me how he and his girlfriend can now stand next to each other and wee into the hedge. What a lovely idea!
Poundland sells all sorts of surprising things.

silverlining48 Fri 17-Nov-17 13:51:16

Andy trouble with electrolosis is, its painful. I had to stop it after putting up with it for a couple of years, and the whiskers just kept on coming and then multiplied.

MissAdventure Fri 17-Nov-17 13:53:04

smile lovely idea until the owner of the hedge comes out into his garden? I've heard good things about shewees.

silverlining48 Fri 17-Nov-17 14:42:44

Ha ha. Yes wouldnt that be a surprise. Not!

Andyf Fri 17-Nov-17 17:22:35

Silverlining yes it can be painful, especially on the top lip. I think I've got used to it over the years although I have been known to take painkillers before I go. ?

LadyGracie Fri 17-Nov-17 17:49:49

I use an facial epilator once a week on my bristly tash. Apply tea tree before and after.

pooohbear2811 Sat 18-Nov-17 08:55:31

horror of horror I just shave mine every other day. Seems what I read nothing makes it go/stay away so just use the quick cheap option ( sums up my life really)
You can all talk about me once I've left the room......lol

lilihu Sat 18-Nov-17 10:32:24

Recommended by my SIL. She had big problems. She says it works really well on hair with any colour in it but not on white hairs. You have to apply twice a day without fail. It’s very expensive but one tube lasts her at least 6 months ( although it says 2 mths). Can get it on prescription. Mail order from Lloyd’s Pharmacy: onlinedoctor.lloydspharmacy.com/uk/facial-hair-removal/vaniqa
Vaniqa
Unwanted or excess facial hair can be an embarrassing problem for many women. Vaniqa is a prescription-only cream which reduces hair growth from the follicles (hair roots), thereby providing a long-lasting solution to unwanted facial hair.

Reduces the growth of hair from the roots
Long-lasting solution to unwanted facial hair
Designed for women with thick, coarse facial hair

Blinko Sat 18-Nov-17 10:38:03

I'm somewhat surprised there isn't more support for threading. It's widely available here in the Midlands and it's cheap. Surely its worth a go? Perhaps it's not available nationwide, then?

coast35 Sat 18-Nov-17 10:42:39

I bought an IPL machine and it has made a massive difference. I hardly even think about my extra hair now after years of plucking. The only thing is it doesn’t work on white hair. It needs the pigment in the root of the hair to properly work. It does legs and underarm as well as face. I am away from home just now so can’t tell you the make. It was quite expensive but has proved to be worth it. I wish I could have had it years ago.

harrigran Sat 18-Nov-17 10:46:17

Daily session with the tweezers, they seem to pop out overnight and they are white so you have difficulty spotting them. I feel with a fingertip until I locate the offenders, keep tip on the spot and then attack with the tweezers. My problem is what I call pussy whiskers because they are at the top corners of my lips.

minxie Sat 18-Nov-17 10:49:36

As a beauty therapist, tweezing is the last thing you do as it stimulates the hair follicles to grow again. Use a facial cream remover or find a college that allows students to practice on you for a very reasonable price and you get a professional service

pamdixon Sat 18-Nov-17 10:51:49

so glad I'm not the only one!! I tweezer every day, but will give the Boots facial hair remover cream, that DanniRae recommended, a try.

Charleygirl Sat 18-Nov-17 11:10:28

I bought a very good epilator on line but it was battery run and needed two new batteries each tine it was used for maximum performance so it was expensive to run. In time it died and I did not replace it. It was light and so easy to use. If I could have recharged it each time it would have been perfect.

Elrel Sat 18-Nov-17 11:12:29

I’ve been using tweezers for years, now increasingly often. Reading these posts I realise that my own unwanted hairs are still a comparatively minor concern. However I did find my very first cheek hair yesterday! Thank you for all the useful advice on the thread.

Shazmo24 Sat 18-Nov-17 11:15:57

Threading is my choice.. I go every 5/6 weeks to have my upper lip & eyebrows done...for my chin I just shave it every time I have a shower as I do my underarms at the same time

Musicelf Sat 18-Nov-17 11:17:44

Oh, it's such a relief to find out how many of us have this problem! I'm a harrigran supporter - trusty tweezers and magnifying mirror and a sensitive fingertip. I've tried everything, and occasionally have given in to the electric razor, but the 'tache is more painful to tweeze, so I sometimes use the epilator (very quickly!) or removing cream.

That feeling when you rub your finger over your chin and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom....! Isn't that great? (Until of course you wake up next morning looking like Desperate Dan)

Loobs Sat 18-Nov-17 11:21:39

Laser treatment is a good option, and there is nearly always an offer on Groupon - for example, near me there is an offer of 6 sessions for £89 - well worth having a go.

EthelJ Sat 18-Nov-17 11:28:16

I too have the same problem. I had a No No but it didn't work for me, then I used to go to a salon for waxing but the hairs seemed to grow back in a couple of days. I used to use tweezers but a beautician told me it made the hairs coarser. When I was working I had lip and chin threading at a nearby department store but I had to go every week and it was £ 10 a time. Then after reading the advice on an earlier thread on here I bought one of those very cheap manual coiled wire type epilators that you roll over your skin. It is painful on the lip area but fine on the chin. It only cost a couple of pounds and to be honest it works on me as well as if not better than the other more expensive options.