Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mother of Bride dilemma

(60 Posts)
Grannyflower Tue 21-Nov-17 05:53:48

Help please! It's my daughters wedding on NYE and I cannot commit to an outfit!
I didn't want typical MOB matching ensemble but didn't want full on long evening gown either.

Any suggestions where to look?

Am going to Manchester next weekend or Internet shopping would be ideal.

Coolgran65 Tue 21-Nov-17 06:50:28

Debenhams with a personal shopper appointment.

kittylester Tue 21-Nov-17 07:25:17

You could wear some wide leg trousers with a long ish lovely coat. Think East or similar.

J52 Tue 21-Nov-17 07:25:44

A large John Lewis usually has a wide variety of women’s formal wear and of course they’re on line as well.

maryeliza54 Tue 21-Nov-17 07:37:28

Absolutely second personal shopper. I was a bit unsure beforehand but it was a wonderful experience - a really helpful young woman and absolutely no pressure It was great to have all the space in a very large individual changing room and endless free coffee. I took a friend with me

NanKate Tue 21-Nov-17 07:37:43

Velvet/velour seems back in vogue so I would choose matching trousers and jacket in a wine/purple colour with a really good quality top underneath. Of course you would need to choose a colour to suit you.

Have a wonderful day.

Friday Tue 21-Nov-17 08:02:40

Must agree that most MoB are hideous and look more like the mother has been upholstered. I wore flowing silk trousers and top, with flowly jacket for my daughter’s wedding.

However I think NanKate’s idea of a velvet or velour jacket sounds lovely, though the jacket and trousers don’t necessarily have to match colour-wise or material wise.

Flossieturner Tue 21-Nov-17 10:15:43

John Lewis do a line called Damsel in a Dress. It is quite modern and stylish

Madgran77 Tue 21-Nov-17 10:31:50

East has lovely, a bit unusual but totally suitable clothes IMO. Personal shopper maybe if you think you need someone t help you "push the traditional boundaries"!

Eglantine21 Tue 21-Nov-17 10:37:07

My mum had a long Cossack style coat and hat for my winter wedding. She looked more glam than I did and was certainly warmer!

paddyann Tue 21-Nov-17 10:37:55

ook at Joyce Young ,online ,her designs used to be under the name "By Storm" She just won ana award for her MOB outfits ,Judy Murray wore one to Andy's wedding and despite that they aren't too over the top for price

goldengirl Tue 21-Nov-17 10:57:17

I wore a patterned jersey dress, bought in a sale - fairly fitted and patterned in case I dropped any food down it! - a fascinator in one of the colours of the dress and fingerless lace gloves in a similar colour to the fascinator to be that little bit different!!! It was a spring wedding but if it had been for winter I would have worn a short plain or faux fur jacket. I chose the outfit because I could wear it to events other than weddings.

Nanabilly Tue 21-Nov-17 11:39:14

When I was looking for mum of groom outfits I liked the dresses in coast and phase eight.
I wanted something I could wear again on special occasions.

Ilovecheese Tue 21-Nov-17 11:49:58

Kendalls has lots of different brands

NotTooOld Tue 21-Nov-17 12:10:06

Goldengirl - love the idea of the fingerless lace gloves. Wish I'd thought of that.

Nanabilly Tue 21-Nov-17 18:48:45

Have you looked at House of Fraser they have a huge choice.

Grannyben Tue 21-Nov-17 20:20:01

Eglantine21, I once went to a wedding where the mob wore a cossack style hat and coat and I can remember how elegant she looked as she strode down the aisle. I couldn't tell you what the bride wore but her mum was stunning

Grannyflower Thu 23-Nov-17 04:02:58

Brilliant advice thank you everyone. I shall delve deeper into those options!?

jeanie99 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:30:49

I was mother of the groom but wanted something smart but not anything I couldn't wear after.
Daughter and DIL went with me to choose something that would suit me and I could get wear out of after.
I bought a dress based on their advice something I wouldn't have thought of purchasing and I use it on every cruise we go on, well worth the expense and I still feel good in it.
Take some advice from family or friends you can trust.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Nov-17 09:28:18

I got one of my MOB outfits from Harvey Nicks (Leeds, in my case). I hadn't booked a personal shopper, but got such personal service from the moment I walked in that I felt as if I had. They found me a dress well within my budget that made me feel a million dollars - and it wasn't any dearer than it would have been anywhere else. They also told me that if it hadn't fitted perfectly they would have altered it for free. Debenhams made a complete hash of booking (or rather not booking) my personal shopper, so I didn't get to try their service.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Nov-17 09:51:08

We've got some party outfit advice from over 50s fashion bloggers here if that's of any help to you! www.gransnet.com/christmas/christmas-party-dresses-for-over-50s

goose1964 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:06:21

Monsoon have some gorgeous outfits

Moomin63 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:19:39

Shibumistyle.com have some cashmere/silk, jackets & coats for all tastes .... stunningly beautiful ... (that’s what I wore with a plain dress underneath )

Clarecrip1 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:21:51

Something that you feel like you in, something you will get use out of again in the future it’s got to feel natural and normal for you to wear. And make sure your shoes are comfortable enough to last all day and evening too, who needs to be in pain? Just relax and have a really enjoyable time.

marpau Fri 24-Nov-17 10:28:51

Personal shopper is the way to go either John Lewis or Debenhams it's great