Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Is male hair different to female hair ...?

(34 Posts)
Grannyknot Wed 13-Dec-17 13:07:08

Because I just raided the husband's grey reducing shampoo used a "Just for Men" product to wash my silver hair, and it is now a lovely gun metal grey.

So - I'll be back! grin (because it washes out).

MissAdventure Wed 13-Dec-17 13:11:15

I've always wondered that, too. I'm sure there can't be actual physical ways male hair is different?

Eglantine21 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:31:47

I know that headlice don't like adolescent male hair and would rather set up home on female hair. It might be hormones but perhaps it's got more to do with frequency of washing! grin

Grannyknot Wed 13-Dec-17 13:34:17

My question is - why isn't there a product like that for female hair?!

Squiffy Wed 13-Dec-17 13:34:38

Being of a slightly cynical nature, I've always thought that they target women with all sorts of products that are allegedly appropriate to them - and double the price that men are charged for the same type of product! Thinking of women's disposable razors, which are at least twice the price of those for men. I can live with using a grey razor rather than a pink one tchgrin

MissAdventure Wed 13-Dec-17 13:53:48

Is male hair coarser, or am I being sexist?

kittylester Wed 13-Dec-17 14:02:01

My Dh has beautiful wavy white hair.

I have straight, mousy, boring hair.

So yes there is!!! tchgrin

MissAdventure Wed 13-Dec-17 14:17:44

I must admit, I would feel a bit strange using 'men only' products. How ridiculous!

Deedaa Wed 13-Dec-17 21:27:51

Definitely lack of washing that puts headlice off boys' hair Eglantine Years ago DD and I spent weeks trying to get rid of them while her brother had a total of about 6 in his unbrushed and rarely washed hair.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Dec-17 21:55:27

I thought headlice spread more easily in girls because they tend to interact in a 'head-to-head' way with each other? The lice can more easily transfer, as they don't fly.

Eglantine21 Wed 13-Dec-17 21:57:10

Feel a need to scratch grin

Magrithea Thu 14-Dec-17 10:04:21

MissAdventure is right - girls are more 'head to head' when they are together. As for lice being put off by dirty hair, that's a myth - when my mum was a district nurse (many years ago!) she had to lice comb a lady's hair that hadn't been washed for ages and it was full of them. when I was a student physio in the '70's there was a patient admitted with hair and body lice who was deficient int he personal hygiene department! Excuse me while I have a scratch!!!

Camelotclub Thu 14-Dec-17 10:16:13

Hair is hair. Making shampoo for men is a marketing gimmick. Carry on using the one you like!

Camelotclub Thu 14-Dec-17 10:17:35

From quora.com:
Head hair is hair, no matter your gender. It is made from the same genes on the chromosomes.
Many people let their hair grow. Many people cut their hair. Gender has nothing to do with it.

icanhandthemback Thu 14-Dec-17 10:32:52

They did used to have a similar product which was brilliant but was dropped from the market several years ago which was when I stopped having brown hair. I guess there wasn’t enough uptake.

Rainagaine Thu 14-Dec-17 10:38:48

In the past, some of the men's products aimed at reducing grey had a rather distinctive 'unfeminine' smell when first applied and I used to think that might be the reason why they were not attractive to/marketed at women. Maybe that's gone now?

spabbygirl Thu 14-Dec-17 10:42:19

maybe they're a wash in colour of some sort? Maybe the female ones are wonderful shades of blue, pink, orange etc. Says she with pink hair

inishowen Thu 14-Dec-17 10:52:30

Lidl do a men's shampoo for around 80p. I've used it and it's lovely. My daughter used the mens dandruff shampoo on her little girl and it works well.

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Dec-17 13:29:16

I saw a little note on the school newsletter - apparently there is an outbreak of head lice.
Lovely, just in time for Christmas grin

MissAdventure Thu 14-Dec-17 14:10:17

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me..
Headlice.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 14-Dec-17 16:18:49

Years ago there was Grecian 2000 and there was a woman's version. I was wondering whether it was still around very recently! Do you remember the advert? The woman puts her hand up to her face to whisper "I use Grecian 2000and he doesn't know about it!" Then she nods her head in the other direction to the shielded hand (I.e. the wrong way) -
and it was ridiculed!

MissAdventure Thu 14-Dec-17 16:32:35

Lady Grecian? That rings a bell.

squirrel5 Thu 14-Dec-17 17:59:08

I was brow.sing in Superdrug the other day ,and they did have a range of grey colourants,but I can't remember the name of the make,however the pictures on the boxes looked good ,and there were colours from light silver to gun metal greys

luluaugust Thu 14-Dec-17 19:16:10

Many years ago we had a friend who worked in a factory where they made shampoo, shower and bath lotion, washing up liquid etc he said they were all the same sold in different strengths with different perfumes added, he tried to persuade us all we would be fine washing our hair with the washing up liquid, don't think I tried it.

granoftwins Thu 14-Dec-17 20:21:25

Squirrel 5 was it Garnier Perfect Silver?