Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Meghan's white coat

(99 Posts)
Baggs Fri 05-Jan-18 06:14:55

In a picture in today's paper of Harry and Meghan she is wearing a white coat with a large collar and a tie belt. At first sight I honestly thought it was a dressing-gown. Just saying as in "it would look like a dressing-gown on anyone" so this is a statement about the style I saw not a criticism of M.

Alima Fri 05-Jan-18 07:39:00

Not seen today’s paper but it sounds like a coat I have seen her wear on previous occasions. Thought it looked ok on her, I could never wear that style. Would look like a sack of spuds!

Grannyknot Fri 05-Jan-18 07:44:29

I've got a (chocolate brown) wrap-around coat with tie belt like that from a few years ago. It's very cosy and it does feel as if I'm wearing a dressing gown grin

OldMeg Fri 05-Jan-18 07:51:13

Poor Meghan.

MawBroon Fri 05-Jan-18 08:11:14

Would anybody really start a thread about your chocolate brown wraparound coat grannyknot or indeed anybody’s ? hmm

PoorMeghan - not, I expect, that she gives a jot!

Grannyknot Fri 05-Jan-18 08:15:42

I'd say the OP is more of a comment on fashion or style... it just happened to be Meghan wearing it.

Smithy Fri 05-Jan-18 08:22:28

Actually just bought a wrap around grey coat in the sales, with a fur collar. I am slim so it doesn't look bulky and I love it. Its nice material so doesn't feel like a dressing gown.

MawBroon Fri 05-Jan-18 08:35:33

But would anybody notice or think it worthy of comment grannyknot

Marydoll Fri 05-Jan-18 08:35:46

We once attended a function, where formal dress was required.
My friend always looked so elegant and as usual she looked fabulous wearing a long, black, velvet evening coat over her evening dress.
It turned out it was a dressing gown, but you would never have known. grin

Teetime Fri 05-Jan-18 09:18:06

I thought it was a very nice coat and she looked good in it. Wish I could wear a winter white coat - I'm too messy.

Cherrytree59 Fri 05-Jan-18 09:23:15

Grannyknot grin

I may be wrong but wasn't the belted coat a favourite Marilyn Monroe?

tanith Fri 05-Jan-18 09:52:29

I thought it looked great.

Chewbacca Fri 05-Jan-18 09:58:00

I'd love to be able to wear a white coat, belted or not. But me, in white? Wouldn't get as far as the front door before I'd have spilt something on it. blush

BlueBelle Fri 05-Jan-18 10:00:35

Oh leave the poor woman alone she ll never do anything right for these Union Jack waving brigade she’s a ‘furriner’ who dared to fall in love with a prominent Brit, poor lass I hope she’s got a very thick skin ??
She’s already worn a ‘dreadful’ engagement dress a ‘terrible’ hat, was being clingy and over the top in pictures, now a wrap around ‘ dressing gown’ I d give up if I was her Harry, take her somewhere more welcoming and live happily ever after xx

Baggs Fri 05-Jan-18 10:01:54

maw, I commented because it was in my morning paper, not because of who was wearing it, as I intimated very clearly. Most people I wouldn't have recognised anyway but MM is famous enough even for me to know who she is when I see a picture of her because of her connection to Harry. Besides, he was in the picture too. I wouldn't have known her from Eve until their engagement.

This thread is about a COAT

Baggs Fri 05-Jan-18 10:03:15

That is, it was. The nit pickers and fault finders and negative dudes have and no doubt will continue to make it about something else.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 05-Jan-18 10:13:05

Is it possible someone can put a pic up please, I'd love to see the coat, being a bit of a fashionista, well in my dreams that is!! Thank yougrin

TerriBull Fri 05-Jan-18 10:18:00

I know the one you mean Baggs, I didn't like it either, particularly the large flappy looking collar. I really liked the navy blue, possibly black coat, she wore when she did her first publc engagement with Harry. Mainly because I have one that's similar smile

TerriBull Fri 05-Jan-18 10:18:34

No doubt cheaper than hers though!

MawBroon Fri 05-Jan-18 10:22:17

Ah well, with all that is going on in the world, how refreshing to be able to spend time and column inches on a coat hmm

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-Jan-18 10:27:26

Alternatively, how depressing that members can't even discuss a ruddy coat without being jumped on.

Baggs Fri 05-Jan-18 10:38:58

Here you are, NLS

Cherrytree59 Fri 05-Jan-18 10:45:07

We have had recent thread on a hat
Didn't we have a longish thread not so long ago about a dress ? hmm

Nannylovesshopping Fri 05-Jan-18 10:59:25

Baggs thanks very much for pic, I think it suits her, I know this thread is not actually about her but about the coat, I would love to wear a coat like this, unfortunately I am still carrying copious amounts of mincepies, chocolates etc around my backside!!

Grannyknot Fri 05-Jan-18 11:14:16

It totes looks like a dressing gown in that pic.

I'm now being offered on online M.A. in fashion grin via a pop-up advert. grin