Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

May I enquire..

(84 Posts)
annsixty Mon 22-Jan-18 17:44:20

Who designed your dress for your engagement photographs and how much did it cost?
It seems to be the fashion to disclose such facts.

baubles Mon 22-Jan-18 17:46:35

No engagement photographs therefore no dress. Simple.

Who’s disclosing what?

aggie Mon 22-Jan-18 17:49:25

My engagement outfit was a very flowery blouse and a pencil skirt , both designed and sewn by myself , material from the local market , photograph by slightly squiffy Dad smile We had gone to buy the ring and came home to find my Mums card playing chums assembled to wish us well

Oopsadaisy52 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:53:01

Same as you baubles, I’m assuming it’s about the Royal engagement....

Oopsadaisy52 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:54:44

I’ve been racking my brains to remember the date we got engaged, but I can’t ☹️

ninathenana Mon 22-Jan-18 18:01:16

H and I got engaged in Spain whilst on holiday with another couple.
I have a small snapshot taken in the apartment where we stayed, though I did frame it smile
I'm wearing an off the peg white top and a floaty black and white maxi (1973 style) skirt. I'm flashing my Spanish white gold ring.

annsixty Mon 22-Jan-18 18:02:36

We got engaged in March 1957, were cameras even invented? ?

hildajenniJ Mon 22-Jan-18 18:05:26

I don't remember what I was wearing. We got engaged on my night off. It was a cold night in December, and we were trying to keep warm beside the Rayburn, so I was probably wearing jeans and warm sweater.

Cherrytree59 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:12:35

1981 haven't got the foggiesthmm

Welshwife Mon 22-Jan-18 18:15:39

We got engaged in Jan 1962 and that particular Saturday was a friend’s 21st birthday. We went to see them during the afternoon and then to a SteakHouse in London - Leicester Square probably. I wore a black satin dress - a style with a straight skirt I had made myself. No photos though!

annsixty Mon 22-Jan-18 18:19:19

For those who wonder what I am talking about, this is about Princess Eugenie who has become engaged and is photographed wearing a dress by Erdem? And shoes by Jimmy Choo, the dress cost upward of £200.

annsixty Mon 22-Jan-18 18:20:05

£2000 !!

tanith Mon 22-Jan-18 18:21:29

1968 I have absolutely no clue what I was wearing, no party no photos and it certainly would not of bee a designer dress.

tanith Mon 22-Jan-18 18:23:11

Princess Eugenie is a person of interest to some, I am not hence the difference.

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 18:31:11

Flipping heck. DH proposed just after a Burns Night Dinner (1970) so I was done up to the nines - though slightly the worse for wear.

My dress was full length black satin with a net top with beading, my hair was up in falling down ringlets and I had a pair of silver sling backs and matching evening bag. The only time that I have ever looked right for the occasion.

annsixty Mon 22-Jan-18 18:38:40

You obviously bowled him over with your beauty kitty who could possibly resist proposing??

BBbevan Mon 22-Jan-18 18:55:43

We went to visit DHs grandparents. Grandma gave us two of her rings to chose from. The one I chose ( sadly lost) was my engagement ring. Garnets and gold. We were both art students at the time ! 1963, so dressed rather bizarrely. I probably wore all black with a man's oversized jumper

cornergran Mon 22-Jan-18 18:58:29

Another one with no party, no photos and no idea of what I was wearing when we became engaged. Mr C had asked my Dad formally for permission as I was well under 21 and all I remember is how nervous I felt and how elated afterwards.

Charleygirl Mon 22-Jan-18 19:00:04

No idea of the engagement date and I am with baubles. Who is paying for Eugenie's outfit- the tax payer?

Gagagran Mon 22-Jan-18 19:49:49

We went to the jewellers and chose the ring then taking it with us went to catch the bus. I couldn't wait to put it on so we went into the telephone box by the bus stop and he put it on my finger and that was it - we were engaged! (There were jokes made about pressing button B and getting his money back grin) This was June 1964, 12 months after we met. I was 20 and he was 21. The ring cost DH a whole month's salary.

M0nica Mon 22-Jan-18 19:59:48

Give the girl her due, she gets no money from the taxpayer, and no longer qualifies for round the clock police protection. She probably has a trust fund.

Like others I had no engagement photographs, so no special dress. I would never have bought a dress just because I was having photos taken, not even formal ones.

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 20:33:11

Ann or he could have been very a bit drunk tiddly!! grin

Marydoll Mon 22-Jan-18 20:35:25

I got engaged in Glagow's Kelvingrove Park on the fourth of June 1976 , under the shadow of Glasgow University, where I had just finished my last exam, which was archaeology. No photos and I can't remember what I was wearing, but the sun was shining!
We had booked a restaurant recommended by friends, but couldn't find it, so ended up in the Berni Inn instead.
Prawn cocktail, steak and black forest gateau, washed down with a bottle of Nuit St. Georges.
A few years ago, our children presented us with a watercolour of that very spot.

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 20:35:48

We had only known each other 6 weeks and he rang me the next morning to check he'd remembered it properly!! He did go and buy a ring all on his own and ask my dad!

annsixty Mon 22-Jan-18 21:00:34

Ours was very romantic, we went to Mays jewellers in Nottingham and chose the ring and I think I kept it on!!
That evening we went with friends to Nottingham Playhouse and said that we had bought a ring that day and that was it
He has never changed.