Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Best Bra ?

(83 Posts)
fumanchu Sun 28-Jan-18 17:23:47

What's the best kind of bra to get if you're a bit bigger and wobblier in the bust department?

midgey Sun 28-Jan-18 17:25:52

If you are able to get to a Debenhams the lingerie department has a bra fitter and loads of various kinds of bra, the scaffolding I have is very comfortable!

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jan-18 17:45:35

I ve never ever found a comfy bra although I ve been measured at various places I still long to throw it off when no ones around

tanith Sun 28-Jan-18 17:48:32

I hate the 'bounce' effect so I buy firm hold sports bras from M & S for everyday wear they are really comfy they minimise as well as no bounce.

Seonaid Sun 28-Jan-18 18:41:55

I eventually found that M&S total support bras suit me very well and they are not underwired so are very comfortable. They are the only ones I buy now.

GrandmaMoira Sun 28-Jan-18 19:01:04

I buy from the M&S DD+ range. The two pack ones are less supportive so avoid them and always go for full cup. There's quite a range to choose from.

lemongrove Sun 28-Jan-18 20:29:46

Is there such a thing as a comfy bra?!
Even the bra that was comfy when you set out, after a lunchtime meal decidedly isn’t.The times we have been out for the day and on getting home the joy of flinging off the bra!?

Niobe Sun 28-Jan-18 20:31:21

I always end up with the Doreen bra from Triumph. No wires and firm control with full cups.

lemongrove Sun 28-Jan-18 20:33:24

Genie bras were excellent, but they went out of business, Avon aren’t bad though for pull on padded bras.
M&S sizes are all over the place and they now use nasty scrachy lace on their bras.
Debenhams have a reasonable choice of good makes.

fumanchu Sun 28-Jan-18 21:17:20

Ok thanks ladies, I'll head up to the shops next week and have a look at Debenhams and M&S. I'm not huge, last time measured I was a 36DD but I am like a half-set jelly and it's not a good look LOL!

fumanchu Sun 28-Jan-18 21:33:42

Plus I hate lace, it does scratch and irritate.

Charleygirl Sun 28-Jan-18 22:21:04

I find it very difficult to find a non p[added non wired plain white bra which fits! I also do not like scratchy lace.

Joelise Sun 28-Jan-18 22:39:46

Try the online firm Royce, I have recently bought some bra's from them, I have to say that they are the most comfortable bra's that I've ever had.

Tegan2 Sun 28-Jan-18 23:30:01

lemongrove; I'm still trying to get Genie bras; I've had a couple for years and they're still in good condition. I did try to buy one off Ebay but they come from China and the sizing is different to the ones I've got. Asda do a similar one, but still nowhere near as good.

Humbertbear Mon 29-Jan-18 07:56:38

I would recommend Bravissimo if you live near one of their shops. They cater for us curvy girls with larger busts. They have a catalogue and sell online as well. Personally, I have worn Belle by Fantasie for years. Our local John Lewis , like most department stores, has trained fitters. I brought my daughter up with the mantra that ‘bras, like shoes, always have to be tried on and fitted in store’.

Bamm Mon 29-Jan-18 09:47:27

I have tried endless bra's, had fittings, and still ended up uncomfortable . Wires digging in, back too tight or too loose- in the end I tried Triumph Delicate Doreen. I am size 34g but I know that they come in a huge range of sizes. The Triumph Doreen bra is very comfortable and supportive but the shape is too pointed for me. The Delicate Doreen is rounder but is lacy, although I have never found it to be scratchy. Make sure the cup size is big enough as it can sort of spread the breast out if not deep enough( A bit like a minimiser bra does).

GabriellaG Mon 29-Jan-18 09:50:11

Fantasie full cup bras are comfortable and supportive, just like your nana ?
Seriously, they are sold in House of Fraser and Debenhams among other stores and are reasonably priced and very pretty styles.
Might I also suggest Bravissimo?
They cater for the fuller bosomed woman and have a huge range both online and in store. Their styles run from plain everyday bras in just three colours, to really fabulous styles for every occasion and in gorgeous colours...really too pretty to never be seen.
Happy shopping ? ☺

margrete Mon 29-Jan-18 09:51:20

The best solution I found to the problem discussed? Not what you're all expecting and hoping for but...when the next bra I was measured for and bought in Debenhams was 38GG, I decided on more drastic action. Reduction mammoplasty at my local Spire hospital. One of the best things I've ever done. Worth every penny.

On the morning of surgery my surgeon said 'The most decision to be made now is - what cup size do you want?' I said 'A or AB, no more'. He complied. I couldn't be more grateful to him.

Why didn't I go to the NHS? I imagine them saying 'What, at your age?' or finding some reason why it wasn't necessary/desirable.

No regrets, none at all.

Dogsjj Mon 29-Jan-18 09:52:49

Oh Bluebell, I couldn't agree more. Bras always seem to slip upwards with me, even tightened on then last hole. Can't wait in the evening to sit down minus bra and with joggers on.n what bliss.

GabriellaG Mon 29-Jan-18 09:55:59

Humbertbear

I don't get measured in my local Bravissimo they do it by looking (when you're wearing your 'own' bra...of course)
Is that true of only some stores?
I've never tried JL's lingerie dept. Might go next time.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 29-Jan-18 10:02:42

Rigby & Peller, fitting by eye only, always spot on, Prima Donna bras from them are so comfortable (start price around £75) Pricey I accept, but considering is big girls have to wear a bra at all times, well worth it. (I am a 32H). Considering a reduction as is my DD.

Farrsan2003 Mon 29-Jan-18 10:02:56

Beaux Avenue are fabulous with bra fitting. Their lingerie is very pretty right through the range. Might cost a little more but so worth it for the comfort you will get.

grannytotwins Mon 29-Jan-18 10:12:22

I go to Rigby and Peller and get properly fitted. I buy a couple of bras and if I get on with them, I find more on EBay. I’ve had some amazing bargains. I’d love a reduction as I hate being big.

Sourcerer48 Mon 29-Jan-18 10:13:56

Delimira Women's Front Closure Full Coverage Underwire Non Padded Racerback Bra

I had the same problem as you. Found this on Amazon and haven't looked back. This bra is so comfortable, I forget I am wearing it. Also gives proper cup support.

Persistentdonor Mon 29-Jan-18 10:19:10

Another vote here for the Triumph Doreen.