Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Can you wear jeans with a wool coat?

(28 Posts)
fumanchu Tue 30-Jan-18 18:56:03

Help (again!) please ladies - I need a new coat and am drawn to styles like the plain woollen type in Allsaints. But I spend my life in jeans - the models in Allsaints might look good wearing the two together but at 68 I'm not sure if I would! What would you suggest? Any ideas gratefully received smile

Iam64 Tue 30-Jan-18 19:18:51

ye its fine

phoenix Tue 30-Jan-18 19:20:37

Go for it, I have a light grey wool & cashmere coat (cast off from a friend smile ) looks fine with jeans and ankle boots!

kittylester Tue 30-Jan-18 19:24:55

Yes but with boots or proper shoes - not trainers

Marydoll Tue 30-Jan-18 19:27:55

fumanchu Why don't you have a look on Pinterest? You won't know until you try.smile
I do wear woolen coats with jeggings and boots. I quite like the look, warm and comfy. Or I dress up my outfit by ditching the jeans and wear it with, a dress/skirt opaque tights and boots. Two looks for the price of one.
What does it matter anyway, what people think? We all have different tastes.
www.pinterest.co.uk/search/pins/?q=jeans%20and%20woolen%20coats

MawBroon Tue 30-Jan-18 19:47:24

Of course - whoever not?

MawBroon Tue 30-Jan-18 19:47:45

WHYEVER not blush

fumanchu Tue 30-Jan-18 19:47:49

I've only got boots, never had trainers smile
Marydoll I've never been on Pinterest, that looks amazing, ty very much xx

annsixty Tue 30-Jan-18 20:18:36

Of course, just go for it.
If I were 20 years younger, 6ins taller and 3 stone lighter, I certainly would.?

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Jan-18 20:19:28

I have a red woollen coat inherited from my mother. I wear it with jeans. Your wool coat will look good with anything.

Marydoll Tue 30-Jan-18 20:22:17

fumanchu I love your name. I used to watch all the Fumanchu films.grin

You can find out lots of things on Pinterest, not just fashion.

MargaretX Tue 30-Jan-18 20:26:27

of course you can and with boots -perfect.

SpringyChicken Tue 30-Jan-18 20:27:14

If you like the look, that's good enough, go ahead. Don't worry what anyone else thinks, life's short.

Smithy Tue 30-Jan-18 20:47:54

I do it all the time! I think boots look better than shoes with that combo though.

paddyann Wed 31-Jan-18 01:15:56

jeans with high heels will dress it up or boots for a more casual look

M0nica Wed 31-Jan-18 07:58:18

It is not what you wear it is the way that you wear it. If you look happy and confident, you can wear anything.

I have been wearing a calf length dark grey over jeans for as long as I can remember - and I am in my mid 70s.

OldMeg Wed 31-Jan-18 08:22:54

My going out to shops look in winter is skinny jeans tucked inside calf high sheepskin boots. Comfy, safe (non slip) and can certainly be teemed with any coat, or jacket.

Keep trainers for other seasons.

I agree with Monica it’s how you wear it, plus accessories eg scarf and bag can make a look.

I took a walk across the Common yesterday on the way back from the shops and bumped into DH walking the dog. He paid me the rather dubious comment of saying, he didn’t recognise me at first and I looked really ‘slim and trim’ from a distance ????

janeainsworth Wed 31-Jan-18 08:39:51

oldmeg grin

farview Wed 31-Jan-18 09:34:21

Perfect look!! ?

Teetime Wed 31-Jan-18 09:35:50

Yes absolutely with proper shoes/ boots and a nice bag- very chic.

TerriBull Wed 31-Jan-18 10:09:06

Absolutely, smart coats are a good pairing with jeans imo. Where would we all be without our jeans, I calculate they are the items of clothing I have probably worn more than any other garment in the course of my life. Not the same ones of course grin

Gemmag Wed 31-Jan-18 10:35:41

Why not?. A nice wool coat with jeans and smart boots/shoes can look very good. The tricky bit is getting the right look. Get yourself off to the shops and try different coats on with your jeans. A nice scarf as well?

Kittye Wed 31-Jan-18 11:50:17

paddyann can't do jeans with high heels, just doesn't look right! Or is it just me?

Culag Wed 31-Jan-18 12:11:55

No Kittye you’re not the only one. I’ve never liked the look of jeans with high heels, in fact I don’t like high heels with any trousers much either. I’m afraid it’s something my mother instilled in me and I cannot get rid of it. blush

M0nica Wed 31-Jan-18 15:27:39

By the 'way that you wear it' I meant wear your clothes, whatever they are with confidence. Wear a black plastic bin bag but do it with enough panache and everyone will think you look brilliant.