Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Latest must have dress from M&S.

(229 Posts)
hildajenniJ Tue 13-Feb-18 16:09:19

According to the Daily Mail Online, This Dress is the latest must have for fashion bloggers.
It looks to me like a nightdress my Granny might have worn.
What do you think?

shysal Wed 14-Feb-18 09:11:32

There are loads of positive comments below the pics in The Mail!!! Hideous!

Teetime Wed 14-Feb-18 09:56:53

Awful frock I wouldn't rely on M & S for anything these days.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:34:52

I had a similar nightie, I think it came from a "Pippa Dee" party (anyone remember them) No wonder they are no longer around!!!!

henetha Wed 14-Feb-18 10:38:33

I'd look like an old sack of potatoes in that shapeless thing.

Ambergirl Wed 14-Feb-18 16:43:17

Wouldn't even want to hop in my box in that!!

Madgran77 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:07:06

Dear me!

janeainsworth Wed 14-Feb-18 17:30:05

Well I went to Newcastle this afternoon for a bit of retail therapy and got this in M&S. £17.99 and I'm very pleased with it smile

MaizieD Wed 14-Feb-18 17:48:54

Nooo! It's vile.

I can't believe we wore anything as hideous as that in the 70s

But now I've looked at it on the M& S site the thing that tailors adverts to you thinks I like it and it's popping up on my sidebar. Aarrgghh....

SpringyChicken Wed 14-Feb-18 18:55:45

Hahahaha, lol. That'll learn ya, Maizie!

Bathsheba Wed 14-Feb-18 19:06:45

I think the DM article must have a typo - it's not a 'must have' dress, but a 'must laugh' dress.

Willow500 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:20:46

Must avoid - at all costs!

mcem Wed 14-Feb-18 19:30:07

Going by my family - 17 to 70 - not of one of us would wear it. Don't think even 7 year old GD would!

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:30:17

You will keep getting all kinds of lovely outfits popping up now MaizieD
grin

varian Wed 14-Feb-18 20:53:40

Quite apart from the horribleness of that dress, which we all seem to agree about ( unusual for GNetters to agree about anything) , I hate the expression "must have". Who says? Why? Is your life so pathetic that you think you are defined by what you have?

Thebeeb Wed 14-Feb-18 21:54:16

Ooooh dear. I’ve just bought similar style in black and white. All floaty. Thought I looked lovely. Got it for sons 40th birthday.

Better have a rethink!

NotTooOld Wed 14-Feb-18 22:03:16

OMG! M and S are at it again. Who on earth do they think is their target market? The only good thing about that dress is that it's made of 100% cotton, quite a rare thing these days. I had a look in M and S yesterday and noticed most of their dresses are made of the modern version of crimplene. Yuk.

janeainsworth Wed 14-Feb-18 23:03:52

beeb I’m sure you will look lovely.
The problem with the dress under discussion is more the colour than the design, imo.
Germolene pink is probably fine on 20-somethings but not very flattering on older faces.
Black and white is a quite different effect and will look striking. Enjoy your DS’ birthday ?

Nelliemoser Wed 14-Feb-18 23:10:24

Awful. I suppose it is considered fashionably retro now.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:28:13

Floaty black and white will be fine.

Pale pink non-floaty cotton is just, um, I struggle to find the words....

Germolene pink
grin
That colour never did anything for me even when I was young!

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:37:02

I was trying to work out the colour of the dress from the photo was it pink or peach?

Thank you Jane Germolene pink grin

Eloethan Wed 14-Feb-18 23:47:08

It is so difficult to get nicely tailored and elegant clothes these days. Everything - even quite expensive clothes - seems to be shapeless, lacking in style and quite often in very garish colours or with loud patterns.

I don't think it's just an age think either - in my opinion, even the clothes available to young people aren't very attractive. I believe that's why we have such a throwaway culture. Clothes don't look great to start with and after a few washes look even less impressive. I wear some clothes that I have had for years and I think they have kept their shape and still look nice. Quality seems to have gone out the window.

janeainsworth Thu 15-Feb-18 08:03:54

I’m afraid I can’t claim credit for ‘germolene pink’.
I first heard it used in a critical article about the National Trust, who had used it to paint the outside of one of their properties to universal derision grin

Marydoll Thu 15-Feb-18 08:24:50

When I was 14, I had a Saturday job in the ladies underwear dept of the Co-op. All the corsets, girdles etc were that colour.
At sale time, the dept was awash with "germoline pink" underwear and old ladies battling over the bargains, then they would ask to be "fitted".
I used to blush really badly, as they would strip off and ask for help to put the underwear on.
I've disliked it ever since.

loopyloo Thu 15-Feb-18 08:37:05

Agree with everyone, looks like something out of Little Women.

Tiggersuki Thu 15-Feb-18 10:20:58

Seriously. It is hideous and a truly awful colour. No wonder Marks and Spencer is no longer the successful company it once was. They lost all but the food plot years ago.