Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

My trousers keep falling down!

(12 Posts)
teabagwoman Sun 22-Apr-18 16:02:19

Ladies, I really need your help. I wear trousers most of the time because I have foot problems and have to wear extra wide, extra deep lace ups. I get through the winter in John Lewis cords but can’t find any lighter weight trousers that fit me properly. I’m a size 14 top, size 12 bottom, am long waisted, have a marked midriff bulge that nothing will remove and no backside at all. My current linen trousers have elastic in the waist but they keep slipping down. If I get ones without elastic I end up with a saggy backside or looking as though I’m wearing jodhpurs. Am seriously thinking I shall have to start wearing dresses but then I would look exactly like my Mother!! Can anyone help?

Luckygirl Sun 22-Apr-18 16:19:42

Yoga pants. You can get some nice linen ones in this style - rollover wide elasticated top.

hildajenniJ Sun 22-Apr-18 16:44:19

I got some linen draw string trousers from M&Co a couple of years ago. They are very comfortable and adjustable ?.

Atqui Sun 22-Apr-18 16:45:14

If you don't mind spending a lot of money, Brax do trousers in different shapes for people who have slim bottoms and thighs but bigger waist , and hourglass the figures. Might be worth a go.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Apr-18 17:00:37

Sainsburys TU have drawstring linen trousers in navy, black or white for £15. I bought 2 pairs of these at Easter and can vouch that they're a decent weight of linen, regular length and they wash well.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Apr-18 17:21:44

Nothing wrong with a dress though, teabagwoman! I've just been getting all my Summer stuff out from storage (ever the optimist smile), and there are several cotton and linen dresses I'm looking forward to wearing again. I find them very cool and practical in Summer, and you don't have to choose "old lady" frocks!

Luckygirl Sun 22-Apr-18 18:24:14

The problem with dresses for me is that I cannot wear sandals, nor indeed any elegant shoes as I have orthotic inserts which are essential - so lots of comfy Hotter shoes in my wardrobe with laces and velcros which look ridiculous with a skirt. Not that I have the remotest desire to look elegant anyway!

teabagwoman Sun 22-Apr-18 18:50:11

Agreed Luckygirl. Can get away with a winter skirt with thick tights and lace ups complete with orthotics but I think summer skirts/dresses look awful. I’m not sure about the yoga pants as I’m a very conservative dresser but am off to Sainsbury’s as soon as possible as drawstrings sound promising. I will have a look at Brax as it would be nice to have a smart pair of trousers that I feel comfortable in. Thank you all.

glammanana Sun 22-Apr-18 18:56:22

tbw Also have a look at Bon Marche they do some lovely wider linen pants in different lengths all with drawstring waists I have used mine for the past 2 yrs and they look as good as when I bought them,I also have bought from Tu and can say they are very good value and wash lovely every time.

goose1964 Sun 22-Apr-18 20:02:30

are hotter tourist any use, they would be fine with a dress

Situpstraight Sun 22-Apr-18 20:05:10

Leggings and long tunic tops, Capri pants with zip. Long shorts.

Farmor15 Sun 22-Apr-18 20:41:32

I have to wear a belt with all my trousers- same kind of figure as teabag- bit of a midriff bulge and no backside. Even trousers that seem to fit when I put them on, start slipping down after a while. A slim leather belt does the trick, but I need to make sure there are belt loops before I buy a new pair. I added loops to a pair of linen type trousers I bought last year, and made a fabric tie belt to use with them, as leather belt doesn’t suit lighter fabrics.