Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Never again - be warned!

(34 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 25-Aug-18 20:09:35

Tired of the unrelenting white of my hair I asked my hairdresser to put some dark lowlights in yesterday with the intention of a more silvery grey pearl effect.
Well it looked fine there, if a little dramatic as she had put very fine black lowlights assuring me that a few washes would fade them to the grey I wanted.
Today - no go. I just didn’t like it.
Hairdresser couldn’t fit me in as they were shutting early for the BH weekend so I bought some hair dye remover from Superdrug.
Never ever do this.
The black faded OK but to a ghastly ginger/apricot colour! Another application faded that further to a sort of strawberry blonde in places ??? so I tried yet again and apart from a slight blonde cast at the side, I think I have got away with it, but never, ever again.
Due to be at a big family do at DD’s on Monday (plus her inlaws) I was seriously thinking of throwing a sickie or buying a burqa.
That was a lot of money down the pan too. ???

kittylester Sat 25-Aug-18 20:14:22

Looks fine to me maw!

But, you gave frightened me as I have an appointment next week with a view to having a complete rethink of my style and colour. I might stay as I am!

Coolgran65 Sat 25-Aug-18 20:18:43

MawBroon I bet your scalp was as tight as a drum.

Your hair is a lovely colour, nice and silvery. Have you ever tried the purple shampoo, I think it's John Frieda. It brightens silver hair nicely.

However, if you'd like to do something different I think that a pinky pearl wash would be lovely. Or you could have it put in, in a few bold slices. The pink is very subtle, I had it done in slices in my (dyed) blonde hair.

annsixty Sat 25-Aug-18 20:21:58

Actually Maw you look fine in the photograph, I can only assume it looks different in RL
I am sure you can carry it off.
I am now white and just go along with it.
To be frank, I neither have, the time, the money or the will to do anything else.
You really do look great.

MawBroon Sat 25-Aug-18 20:42:15

That was this evening but I am never ever going to try to be “edgy” again blush Yes I do use a purpley shampoo usually Touch of Silver.
God luck kitty you will be fine as indeed I might have been if I had left well alone. I still fancy a smoky pearl effect. But will lick my wounds for a bit first. All that money for lowlights and then the stuff to strip out the dye blush
I am sue if paw had been here I would not have been so brainless.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Aug-18 20:45:52

MawBroon, hair looks great, just smile and enjoy yourself.
As the saying goes "life is too short to stuff a mushroom'
Sexy sixty
Sensational seventy
Extravagant eighty
Naughty ninety
Happy Hundred (I think that's because they are alive!!)

seacliff Sat 25-Aug-18 22:07:26

We've all done it, well similar anyway. Very annoying, but it looks great again now.

Doodle Sat 25-Aug-18 22:10:46

I think you look good too maw. What a shame it all cost you so much. A friend of mine uses the John Frieda purple shampoo and it give a lovely lilac sort of under colour. She has had many compliments on it.

cornergran Sat 25-Aug-18 22:19:03

Looks very good now maw. Nothing to worry about Have fun on Monday.

grannyqueenie Sat 25-Aug-18 23:28:52

It looks lovely maw, no one will guess the traumas you’ve been through. Put us down to experience and enjoy Monday’s do with confidence. x

Melanieeastanglia Sat 25-Aug-18 23:32:50

You look fine. Don't worry! Enjoy the family "do".

NonnaW Sat 25-Aug-18 23:36:28

It looks lovely. All praise to you for going for it in the first place. All I do is talk about it!

downtoearth Sun 26-Aug-18 08:44:34

Just had a permanant colour put on at hairdressers,also suffering that need to enliven the silver,similar style and colour to your Maw,mine is called copper Rose and only colours the grey,it is a soft metallic pink and gives a warmer effect than the silver,the darker hair with silver highlights is now metallic pink highlights,is a permanant colour that will fade over 8 weeks or so.I also use the touch of silver shampoo.The colour and cut and dry cost me £20,which I felt was good,but different colour means looking for a new style,I loved my inverted bob which used to have blonde highlights,warm low lowlights,and chestnut under cut ...it may need to return,if I can stand the growing part of itsmile

Riverwalk Sun 26-Aug-18 08:55:19

You look lovely but I feel your pain Maw!

A few months back I was feeling bored with my side-fringe, layered bob which I'd sort of had for years, with various highlights and root tints along the way.

"Do you know Helen Mirren?" I fatefully asked my young hairdresser. She got out her phone and we found the style I had in mind (Mirren at her most gorgeous at the Oscars).

Needless to say I look nothing like her and even less so with my new hair-do, more like the love-child of Pru Leith & Pat Butcher. And sod's law, my hair which usually grows like grass has gone on a go slow and barely grown an inch.

mrsmopp Sun 26-Aug-18 09:02:07

I use Provoke Touch of silver shampoo from Superdrug. You shampo your hair, leave for 5 minutes and rinse. It gives a lovely effect and it's really cheap. I use it twice a week and I recommend it.

Eloethan Sun 26-Aug-18 09:05:34

Oh Riverwalk, the vision of loveliness you conjured up did make laugh. I do sympathise though, a hair disaster can be so unsettling. Thank goodness you have a sense of humour.

glammanana Sun 26-Aug-18 11:04:43

Maw I think your hair looks great such a great cut also,I wish I had the courage to have colour on mine I am too much of a coward in case it went wrong and I didn't like it.

MawBroon Sun 26-Aug-18 11:47:41

Well you are wiser than I Glamamamma!
Got away with it but never again! It does seem to have lost a lot of body though (hardly surprising!)

LadyGracie Sun 26-Aug-18 12:01:20

I think it looks great.

seacliff Sun 26-Aug-18 12:22:21

My hair sometimes goes really dry and coarse/straw like when I have coloured it. So I occasionally put coconut oil on it at night, and sleep on an old pillow. I shampoo well next morning, and it makes it really shiny, soft and healthy looking.

Panache Sun 26-Aug-18 12:34:24

I well know The feeling Maw (have been there and paid the price) and I know lessons have been learned, though certainly giving you much angst along the way,your poor scalp probably wonders what the heck is going on, and of course your purse is considerable lighter................However consider yourself lucky because as everyone has said...........it certainly looks fine........so no more fretting,go and enjoy your "do" without a backward glance.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Aug-18 12:40:33

I think the colour looks great.
It has more depth than just an all over pastel colour. smile

oldbatty Tue 28-Aug-18 09:32:07

It looks great. You look great.

Kittye Tue 28-Aug-18 09:53:57

I also think it looks great. I wouldn't put a colour on mine if it looked like that. Mine's a mixture of dark and light so I colour it. If it was like yours I'd definitely leave it, save me a fortune at hairdressers!

MawBroon Wed 29-Aug-18 10:33:42

My hairdresser is attempting to undo the lowlight debacle this afternoon.
Perhaps fortunately I had not managed to reach the back which is still dark.
Perhaps I will feel better after that.
But not sure if I will use her again after this though and I am wondering how on Earth I didn’t realise while I was still sitting in the chair ?