Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

(A frivolous thread) The trouble with lipstick...

(45 Posts)
giulia Thu 25-Oct-18 13:41:39

I hate to see lipstick smudges on glasses and certainly not on napkins, but if you are at a formal meal you want to look your best, don't you?
So, is it worse to scrub off your lipstick before sitting down at the table (and not feel at your best), or do you wear full makeup and leave horrible marks everywhere?
Dilemma.

felice Thu 25-Oct-18 13:47:33

If you discreetly lick the glass in the area you are going to drink from, the saliva normally leaves enough of a coating to stop lipstick leaving smudges.
A tip given to me by a very chic friend who seems to have the most long lasting lipstick I have ever seen.

Oldwoman70 Thu 25-Oct-18 14:17:40

Can I hi-jack this thread to include eye-shadow? Since when has eye-shadow been sold in "palettes" of 12, 15 or 21 different colours? I know the colours I want, I want to buy them in individual containers - not a "palette" of 12 when I won't use most of them!

petra Thu 25-Oct-18 15:19:46

I take an eco friendly straw out with me ( obviously not for a cuppa) grin

felice Thu 25-Oct-18 15:37:00

Agree Oldwoman, I have three palettes just for 5 colours.

I used to buy No 7 when I was in the UK but this time the quite basic colour I wanted was in a palette, and quite a small amount too.

Pittcity Thu 25-Oct-18 15:46:31

I use the licking method which usually helps.
I also have some lip gloss that you apply over the lipstick which helps seal it....

Marmight Thu 25-Oct-18 16:03:29

I rarely wear lipstick but I have a very good friend who wears it daily and always seems to sport it on one of her upper front teeth ?. Drives me nuts. I'm always nudging her and pointing it out as does her DH! What's the answer?

Lynne59 Thu 25-Oct-18 19:21:41

A long-lasting lipstick is the solution (most brands do them)

Treebee Thu 25-Oct-18 19:32:51

The answer to not getting lipstick on your teeth is , after applying it, to put your finger in your mouth, purse your lips and draw out your finger. Any excess will then be on your finger not your teeth. Thanks to DD2 who taught me this.

CocoPops Thu 25-Oct-18 22:57:08

24 hour lipstick works

Marydoll Thu 25-Oct-18 23:09:46

Treebee, I use that trick too and it works. smile

Day6 Thu 25-Oct-18 23:20:55

I am a blotter. I need lipstick to brighten my face but I hate the slippery feel of it, so I have tissues to hand when I apply it and blot it lightly. I still leave marks on cups and glasses though!

I shall use the licking tip!

Magrithea Fri 26-Oct-18 10:17:29

The finger trick and the licking the glass work! I find the long lasting (24 wear) type make my lips dry! What about when you take the wine at communion and the minister/priest/lay minister then wipes the chalice with a cloth that then must have endless lipstick smudges on it! My mum washes those but it must be a nightmare getting the lippy out!!!

henetha Fri 26-Oct-18 10:20:23

By the time I get from my house to the venue, the lipstick has gone anyway. Can't keep it on.

blueberry1 Fri 26-Oct-18 10:23:43

I use Lipcote,which is a clear liquid that you brush on top of lipstick.It works really well and also stops colour from bleeding.

youngagain Fri 26-Oct-18 10:39:15

You can also wrap a tissue around your finger and put your finger in your mouth, purse your lips and draw your finger out as described by Treebee. Particularly useful if you are in a rush and don't want to have to wash your hands again to remove the lipstick on your finger.
Day6, if you want to give your lips a colour but don't like the feel of lipstick, you can always use a lip liner and fill it in all over your lips. You will probably find that this lasts a lot longer than lipstick and doesn't leave marks on glassware etc. Hope that helps.

mabon1 Fri 26-Oct-18 10:40:24

Use Maybelline Super stay 24 hour colour, it really works I have been using it for many years.

youngagain Fri 26-Oct-18 10:40:35

Forgot to say that using a lip liner also helps to stop colour from bleeding into the lines around the mouth - and I've got plenty of those!!

Saxifrage Fri 26-Oct-18 10:49:06

I too swear by the 24 hour lipstick, Max Factor seems best. You can stop your lips feeling dry by adding more of the waxy topcoat provided. It never leaves stains on glasses and darker colours are still there next morning.

Jane43 Fri 26-Oct-18 11:01:32

I also use Lipcote when I want my lipstick to last throughout the day. Like the Max Factor long lasting lipstick it does tend to dry the lips so I don’t use it every day.

LJP1 Fri 26-Oct-18 11:09:48

At Communion we just wait and dip the wafer in the wine so lips don't touch the rim. It also protects everyone from bacteria & viruses.
What I get worried about is dirty nails handing out wafers.

dragonfly46 Fri 26-Oct-18 11:10:32

You can buy individual eye shadows from Look Fabulous Forever - makeup for the over 50's

Aepgirl Fri 26-Oct-18 11:13:26

So many tips. How have I got nearly 74 without knowing?

GabriellaG Fri 26-Oct-18 11:27:02

felice
UGH

grandtanteJE65 Fri 26-Oct-18 11:27:10

Due to allergy I stick to two fairly dear brands of makeup. I have never had difficulty with it coming off on cups, glasses etc with the amount I wear for special occasions, but I apply my lipstick, powder my lips, then apply lipstick again and blot it in a tissue.

Stage makeup on the other hand was a completely different kettle of fish so if we were dancing two or three sets in an evening, I wiped my glass with a tissue after drinking.

LPJ I hope you are not Catholic, because the church doesn't allow dipping the Host, although I know a lot of Catholics do so. I personally only receive the Host, except at my nuptial mass, where I only shared the chalice with the officiating priest and my husband.