Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Loooong jumpers!

(51 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 29-Nov-18 13:02:54

Feeling distinctly “under tall “(5’2”) as I tried on jumpers this morning an most of them came down to my knees!
I don’t mind them long if they have side slits or are longer at the back than the front , but these just made me feel like a mushroom!
Not the greatest look!

morethan2 Thu 29-Nov-18 13:06:45

Oh post a picture, your description sounds wonderful Maw I’m in hospital and need cheering up.

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Nov-18 13:23:43

I saw some online at M&S and if a friend wore one she would end up sweeping the streets because she is around 4foot 9".

I am 5 foot 5" and some barely covered my waist while others were so long they would have looked ridiculous.

Get better soon moretan.

merlotgran Thu 29-Nov-18 13:32:34

I'm 5'7" and often feel like pulling jumpers down whenever I try them on as they're too short.

That's when I realise I've plucked them off the rail in the 'Petite' section. grin

merlotgran Thu 29-Nov-18 13:33:16

PS. Hope you are soon on the mend, morethan

EllanVannin Thu 29-Nov-18 13:49:59

Merlotgran I have the same problem----not long enough and the sleeves halfway up my arm. So uncomfortable if I have to wear one. I call them bumfreezers.

Poor Morethan2. Get well soon.I don't like to hear of anyone being in hospital.

Marmight Thu 29-Nov-18 13:58:38

Maw ?. Vertically challenged ?
I like a jumper to cover my derriere and a bit beyond, not end at the waist. I also like it to have long sleeves. So many have 3/4 or even 1/2 sleeves. I just don't see the point when a jumper is supposed to keep the wearer warm confused

lemongrove Thu 29-Nov-18 14:27:48

Result Maw you can wear them as dresses! grin

cornergran Thu 29-Nov-18 16:19:38

Definitely not one size fits all. Most are too short for me as are the sleeves. Did you find one that fitted maw? Frustrating that’s for sure.

labazs1964 Thu 29-Nov-18 16:23:35

jumpers are never long enough these days i am only 5ft 4 but i am fed up of having a cold bottom get well morethan

Dontaskme Thu 29-Nov-18 17:04:47

Asda have some nice long jumpers at the moment for those of you on the taller side. I'm 5'7" and these cover my (large) backside. I bought 4 different ones while they had them. The sleeves are long enough too. Sorry OP, not what you wanted to hear smile. My DD is 5'3" and to her these would be jumper dresses, of which she has lots and look lovely on her with jeans or leggings and boots.

Fennel Thu 29-Nov-18 19:09:21

Maw I didn't realise you're so short! I'm 5'3'.
All my Woolovers jumpers come half way down my bottom.

nonnasusie Thu 29-Nov-18 19:16:59

I'm even shorter! I used to be 5ft. but probably shorter now! I find the sleeves too long on most jumpers. I must have exceptionally short arms!!?

phoenix Thu 29-Nov-18 19:19:31

Please tell me where these treasures are!

I crave long jumpers, to wear over leggings, skinny jeans etc, they hide a multitude of sins. (Or perhaps I'm just kidding myself, but no matter, they make me feel better about how I look, so there!) grin

grannyqueenie Thu 29-Nov-18 19:19:37

I keep trying to pretend I’m 5’3”, sadly I think I’m an inch shorter that’s that. Arm length is another challenge, I love three quarter sleeves they’re a perfect fit for me!

phoenix Thu 29-Nov-18 19:20:54

PS Last time I looked, I was 5'2"

Willow500 Thu 29-Nov-18 19:58:51

I live in them in the winter over leggings or jeans - I've bought a couple this year from Sainsbury's TU as they're a good length and cover all the undesirable areas i.e. everything between neck and knees grin

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:08:01

I am a couple of inches taller and have difficulty finding longish jumpers to hide my multitude of sins.

Note to phoenix I can probably boast that my sins are bigger than your sins!!
My friend says that longer jumpers show up a less-than-flat tum and that shorter jumpers are best but I'm not convinced.

Iam64 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:22:12

I'm 5' 8" and find many of the long jumpers make me feel so dowdy I run a mile. I'm not glam and love comfortable clothes - this look of over sized, over long, over wide jumpers isn't a good one.

Betcha the sales are full of the bliddy things.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Nov-18 21:24:11

Maw I am 5’2” totally agree with you, I don’t mind a “long” jumper if it is to go with leggings/ skinny jeans. There doesn’t seem to be any “normal” length jumpers, D and DIL’s wear the short ones, which on someone who is the interesting side of 60 is not a good look!!!

merlotgran Thu 29-Nov-18 22:03:27

I think the trick is to get one that fits and isn't too wide and baggy then stretch it after every wash. One of my favourite jumpers is almost down to my knees and looks great over leggings. It was waist length when I bought it. grin

Auntieflo Thu 29-Nov-18 23:39:38

Phoenix It’s the skinny jeans that I want. But then I would need the skinny legs to go with them ?. If only , but I can dream.

phoenix Fri 30-Nov-18 00:43:02

grin

But I still want to know where they are! Perhaps I don't look any better in them, but I feel better, and that's what matters!

Coolgran65 Fri 30-Nov-18 01:56:14

I must have a long jumper preferably mid thigh. I have loads of them, perfect with leggings, jeggings and straight leg ankle skimmers.
I buy most from eBay and do a search for Jumper Dresses and Tunic Dresses.. Hate anything at my wrist and neck so always search for V Neck and 3/4 sleeves via the filters. I have many new items for under £10.

mabon1 Fri 30-Nov-18 11:07:44

Pure Collection sell cropped jumpers, fine for me at 5ft.1", they are expensive but I have jumpers from them which are 15 years old and still good as new.