Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

L'Occitane

(49 Posts)
Hathori Fri 04-Jan-19 22:13:57

Has anyone used L'Occitane Divine Harmony serum - how did you like it? Did it help you skin?

HildaW Sat 05-Jan-19 13:58:15

I think I's always steer well clear of buying well known products of any kind on Ebay. Why would a large company that is all about customer experience and a luxury product allow selling through there? Product counterfeiting is not a backstreet business anymore. Huge criminal 'business' interests plough vast amounts of money into it. Even if the price differences are not that huge so that your natural 'its too good to be true' instinct is not activated, that's not how they are making their money. Its actually a very organised form of money laundering which goes into terrorism, human trafficking etc.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 05-Jan-19 14:05:54

HildaW, I am an eBay virgin, I have never purchased anything from that site.

I agree with your post, these companies trick people into buying "a bargain".

nightowl Sat 05-Jan-19 14:06:33

Not all GrannyGravy. Dermalogica famously pulled out of the Chinese market when they realised what was involved. Unfortunately they then spoilt this when they were bought by Unilever, so although they still claim to be cruelty free if you buy their products you are supporting one of the worst companies in terms of animal testing.

There are still a few companies that do not sell their products in China and have not sold out to a large unethical parent company. But it is a minefield and necessary to do a lot of digging to find the truth. My current favourite company is Green People, organic and ethical with wonderful products.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Jan-19 14:08:25

Companies should be obliged by law to make clear what their stance is, so buyers can see at a glance.

nightowl Sat 05-Jan-19 14:10:43

Jalima, all cosmetics imported into China have to be tested on animals there. The companies selling in China have to pay the costs of these tests. Hence it is L’Occitane’s statement that is ambiguous. They may not test their products or ingredients on animals at the point of development but as soon as they enter the Chinese market they are paying for and supporting animal testing. Many formerly cruelty free companies lost their ‘leaping bunny’ accreditation for this reason.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Jan-19 14:13:30

Is the leaping bunny a good indication?
I'm sure I saw someone here say that that's not necessarily so?

HildaW Sat 05-Jan-19 14:33:30

Wrinkles are what they are....skin has been exposed to sunlight and is aging.....you only have to look at the bits of your body that you have kept covered up to compare. We all loose that 'bounce' my GD was wondering why the ends of my fingers stayed 'flat' whilst she was holding my hand...I showed that her fingers were young and bouncy....it fascinated her. Some people are blessed with better genes that help but all those lovely pictures we see are much more to do with clever make-up, good lighting and technological trickery. Then there are all those so called non surgical things people admit to and of course the surgical ones they do not. Unless you get to see someone in day light face to face....then do not compare yourself. We used to see a few 'famous' types where I used to work......great fun playing 'spot the face lift'.
There is nothing wrong with applying nice creams to make us feel good but nothing is going to change what the passing of time has done. I treat myself from small organic ranges from time to time or if stuck use Neals Yard. Its the big international companies who have large productions where problems can occur. With the best will in the world if corners are cut no one gets to find out until much later. I would always take anything a Chinese company said with a huge pinch of salt. Their human rights record is appalling and it they want to do anything behind closed doors its going to be done.

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Jan-19 15:27:58

It's clearer now, nightowl

farview Sat 05-Jan-19 18:42:09

I used to love using g L'occitane products and used to go their promotion evenings in Manchester mainly for the goody bags..BUT have stopped using L'occitane now due to their products being tested on animals....

GrannyGravy13 Sat 05-Jan-19 18:47:24

Miss Adventure there is an ap available to download called “bunny free” it’s rather good.

Fennel Sat 05-Jan-19 19:02:22

As a sideline, Occitanie is the name of a new Region in SW France. A merging of the old Midi Pyrenees and ? Rousillon.
When we were living there I met a french lady who told me that her husband had started a new business rearing female donkeys/ asses. He was selling their milk at a good price for the manufacture of beauty products.

Jalima1108 Sat 05-Jan-19 20:38:55

Perhaps Cleopatra knew a thing or two after all Fennel!

Hathori Sun 06-Jan-19 10:06:54

That sounds a beautiful place to live, Fennel.

Kalu Sun 06-Jan-19 13:13:12

Have done a bit of searching re buying perfume from eBay and I haven’t found any evidence to prove I will receive the genuine article so, I will return from my first foray into eBay unimpressed. Not for me.

Fennel I lived south of you in Provence, even learned to speak Provençale, well a bit ?

Lilylilo Sun 06-Jan-19 13:44:54

A report on TV tested the hydrating ability of several moisturisers - cheap, middle of the road and very expensive. The one which came out top was the cheapest...NIVEA - which I have used ever since. My Skin is exactly the same as when I was using expensive face creams.

Hathori Sun 06-Jan-19 21:20:17

sad I can't use Nivea, I get a reaction to it.

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-Jan-19 10:12:27

Thanks, Alygran, for reminding me that it was in the M & S Advent calendar. I'd put it on one side as it had no indication on it as to what it was, then forgot to Google it. It'll be sorting my wrinkles out as of tonight! smile

annsixty Mon 07-Jan-19 10:17:39

Actually Maggie I think it is a day cream.
There was a midnight blue tube of night cream in the calendar which is also really good.
I can't remember the make and it is in the bathroom ( I use the stairs as little as I can get away with).

Missfoodlove Mon 07-Jan-19 10:58:28

A few posters have slated eBay, I buy and sell on the site and after over a 1000 transactions have only had one fake!
I buy a lot of Bare Minerals from trusted sellers, many of the products are ex QVC at a fraction the RRP.
It is always worth a look you can read the sellers feedback and PayPal offer good protection.

Maggiemaybe Mon 07-Jan-19 11:02:48

Thanks, ann, it'll have to wait till tomorrow then. smile

I've been really pleased with the calendar. There were only a couple of things I wouldn't use and my DDs have taken those off my hands!

Fennel Mon 07-Jan-19 13:06:56

@ Kalu and Hathori - yes it was a beautiful place . I never mastered the local language (Gascon.) But my basic french was OK - the lady with the donkeys was a district nurse who had come to change the dressing on a leg wound.
We had 17 very good years there, but wanted to come back 'home' for various reasons.

Hathori Mon 07-Jan-19 18:18:19

At least you experienced it smile

Hathori Thu 07-Feb-19 20:13:40

UPDATE : I bought this cream a month ago and have to say my skin looks a lot younger. My husband and family have all commented on the difference. I will keep buying this!