Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

M and S sizing

(70 Posts)
Plunger Fri 11-Jan-19 21:17:59

Is it just me but the last three items ( M &S tops) I have purchased I have had to get a smaller size? I wear a 36 DD bra so top heavy and until lately have worn a size 14 top ( M&S size). The last three items I now need to wear a size 12 and they are definitely NOT too tight, anyone else notice change of size. I have not lost weight - if only!

Maggiemaybe Fri 11-Jan-19 22:17:05

I fit into an M & S size 10, despite the fact that years ago when I was 2 stone lighter - 8 stone with a 22 inch waist - I was always a size 10, never an 8. I don’t think this is just an M & S thing. Sizes in general are getting more generous, to try to reassure us that we’re still trim. I for one think it does us no favours.

Anja Fri 11-Jan-19 22:53:43

Yes, I’ve morphed from a size 14 to a size 12 recently and I’m still the same weight. I think it’s to con some people ?

M0nica Sat 12-Jan-19 15:54:16

Yes, I have gone down from a 14 to 10, even though I am not as tall as I was, but weigh the same.

Recently I have gone down a shoe size, 39 to 38. DD has also said she has dropped a shoe size so it is not an age think. She thinks it is because shoes are being made wider, She has very wide feet and always had to go up a size t get the width.

KatyK Sat 12-Jan-19 16:16:53

Is it just me who remembers when M&S did size 13, 15 etc as well as 12, 14 and so on?

M0nica Sat 12-Jan-19 17:25:39

No, I remember when a number of shops sold odd (number) sized clothes

Chewbacca Sat 12-Jan-19 17:34:23

I remember that too KatyK, although it was a short lived excercise, I think.
I'm a fairly standard size 18 but I've been back to M&S today to return the 2 sweaters I bought yesterday because they buried me. Think it's a bit of kidology to make me think that I've lost 10lbs in weight over Christmas I wish.

NotAGran55 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:38:00

It’s a marketing ploy called vanity sizing to stimulate more sales .

Jane10 Sat 12-Jan-19 18:56:14

Oh. I was so happy too! blush

jeanie99 Mon 21-Jan-19 02:21:35

M&S have for years done this, I'm always a size smaller in their clothes.

BradfordLass72 Mon 21-Jan-19 04:24:56

It began in the USA many years ago and it surprises me M&S have only just discovered it. As NotaGran says, it's vanity sizing.
You may think you're a size smaller when wearing M&S stuff but actually, you're exactly the same !!

TwiceAsNice Mon 21-Jan-19 06:14:39

I remember M&S odd sizes as well as even. I'm that way at the moment and have to wear a tight belt with their jeans as 16 too small 18 too big.

Shirleyw Sat 06-Apr-19 16:32:23

I'm glad i read the reviews as i am usually an 8 in shoes or 7 and a half in wide fit. Bought some trainers from here regular fit but reviews said they are big so got a 7 and a half and they are a great fit....also a midi swing dress, even a size smaller was really big so had to be sent back and whats with the high round necks? they cant seem to get it right at the moment.....also, the M&S in Luton is closing in May, it has three floors so not a tiny one....such a shame, shall miss it a lot...

ginny Sat 06-Apr-19 18:40:16

Three pairs of M & S trousers. Same style , same size. One fits beautifully, one too big and 1 too small!

Squiffy Sat 06-Apr-19 18:46:27

Sounds a bit like the Three Bears’ porridge ginny

GrandmaMoira Sat 06-Apr-19 19:31:08

I haven't found the M&S sizes getting bigger but they are more variable so when buying two pairs of jeans, same size, different colours, one will fit and one won't.

BlueSapphire Sun 07-Apr-19 10:10:15

Well, either their jeans are getting longer or I'm shrinking - got some online last week, bought normal size, miles too long. Did look at the reviews and it seemed quite a common complaint with that style. Had to return them, tried a different style in the same length, and they were perfect.

Luckylegs Sun 07-Apr-19 11:14:39

I remember them doing sizes 13, 15 etc, they were perfect for me because I was halfway exactly between a 12 and 14 then. Now, I’m probably more like a 15!

Craftycat Sun 07-Apr-19 11:23:46

I bought a Bra there recently on a whim- I don't usually buy them there.
I got it fitted for me as I was unsure of sizes. I am usually a 36E but she measured me as 38D. It seemed OK in the shop but the cups sit well away from my skin.
Back to Bravissimo!

marpau Sun 07-Apr-19 11:28:44

I bought a pair of trousers there yesterday size 16 yet I have a skirt in the wardrobe bought a few years ago and can't fasten the waist size 20! ?

Lostmyglassesxx Sun 07-Apr-19 11:36:17

As a former supplier let me inform you.. it depends on the fit they are looking for..so a size 12 in one garment may have a completely different fit to another style.and it may have been designed to be a looser fit.. that said ,garments are fitted on different models who are essentially all the same measurements but can be different shapes..so you can have a 34 bust who has anarrow back but full front and vice verse..
a hip measurement that is more bum /less bum .
Often the fit process can ruin the essence of the garment with atechnologist completely ignoring the aesthetics .the buyer or designer should have the last say but that dies t always happen.
In my experience their sizes are one size up on the high street but then most of the high streets sizes are small for cost.
I always try two different sizes in clothes because at the end of the day it’s how it looks on you not what it says on the label .
MandS do not score well on fit or necklines..I agree entirely .necklines are so important.. there are formulas to achieve the most flattering shape..it’s the detail that makes or breaks a garment

Willow10 Sun 07-Apr-19 11:40:12

Trousers - definitely. I used to try a pair on and if they were ok, would pick up the same size in different colours. Can't do that anymore, every pair is different!

glammanana Sun 07-Apr-19 11:46:04

KatyK The size 13 jeans & trousers that I used to buy where the best fit I have ever found I thought the world had ended when they stopped doing them.

Photocrazy Sun 07-Apr-19 12:09:29

Yes, all of my life I have had size 14 trousers and jeans and now I have to have size 12 or they fall down !!, Still I like looking at the label!

Aepgirl Sun 07-Apr-19 12:19:48

I bought two pairs of trousers from M&S, identical style, two different colours - one pair was too big, the other too small!