Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Face Cleansers

(42 Posts)
Rosiebee Mon 14-Jan-19 19:27:58

I'm trying to wean myself off using wipes for cleaning my face at night. I wear light make up most days but no mascara.
Any recommendations? Micellar water, oil based cleansers, creams...? also am intrigued by Liz Earle's cleanser that you use with a hot muslin cloth but it sounds a bit of a faff. confused

Kittye Mon 14-Jan-19 19:55:10

I use Clarins gentle foaming cleanser I find it removes all traces of makeup. If your skin’s not too dry Pears soap is excellent for removing makeup
I did try Liz Earle’s cleanser but I couldn’t get get on with it and my skin felt itchy. But I do know a few people who love it.

notanan2 Mon 14-Jan-19 20:04:15

I went back to old fashioned face cloths and found them best.

I find it doesnt make much diference if I use them with micellar water, foaming cleaner or plain warm water because the fibric itself gently exfoliates and cleans better than wipes or cotton pads

Squiffy Mon 14-Jan-19 20:08:00

If I wear waterproof mascara then I use coconut oil to remove it. For any other makeup, I use rosewater (hydrolat), which is gentle, but removes everything.

M0nica Mon 14-Jan-19 20:13:39

I use Crowes Cremine, a theatrical make-up cold cream I wipe it off with cotton wool pads, which then get put on the compost heap. It is now only available online but it comes in big reasonably priced pots. I have been using it for about 40 years, with no ill effects. Quite remarkable, because so many products get reformulated every few years,then irritate my skin and I have to stop using them.

I would love to just use soap and a flannel, but I haven't been able to do that since my early 20s, it leaves my skin red and inflamed.

PamelaJ1 Mon 14-Jan-19 20:28:54

I use a facial soap and a facecloth. I have a stack of them and only use them once before washing.
Saves exfoliating and, I feel, is more economical and eco friendly.
I use a good moisturiser and sun protection.

PECS Mon 14-Jan-19 20:37:48

nablussoap.ps/

This rinsed off with a muslin cloth is lovely

Mamissimo Mon 14-Jan-19 20:40:42

I use an electronic facial cleanser brush with Clinique ‘Take the Day Off”. Love it!

NotAGran55 Mon 14-Jan-19 21:33:48

I use Body Shop Camomile Silky Oil Cleanser taken off with a white IKEA flannel . £1.60 for a pack of 4 . It also removes waterproof mascara which I on my work days .

Riverwalk Tue 15-Jan-19 06:11:25

Eve Lom Cleanser - the first and the best of hot cloth cleansers.

BlueBelle Tue 15-Jan-19 08:39:07

What’s wrong with soap and water, rub the soap in your hands to get a lather then wipe all over face, rinse off end with some splashes and towel dry
hands and face washed at the same time, bingo

Teetime Tue 15-Jan-19 09:15:02

The Liz Earle cleanser gets the best ratings in all the surveys and I have used it with great effect - its not a faff, very easy to use and my face has never looked brighter and cleaner tan when I used that. I like it best in the summer and use a cream cleanser in Winter - Clarins Alpine Cleansing Milk which their website at the moment is offering a double size one for half price and they give you lots of samples.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 15-Jan-19 09:55:43

I have used Liz Earle cleanser for years, and I am very happy with it, however, my sister gave me Emma Hardie cleansing balm as a gift and I am converted.

It is used in a similar way to Liz Earle, massage in and then rinse of with warm cloth, not tested on animals and I believe it is a vegan product.

J52 Tue 15-Jan-19 10:31:22

I gave up wipes and now I use Garnier Micella water and cotton wool pads, which doesn’t dry my skin.
I’ve tried other makes and types of foams, cream etc. but this suits me.
It all depends on your skin type and what suits you best.

Soap and water is too drying and you can’t use it to remove eye make up.

FlexibleFriend Tue 15-Jan-19 10:45:45

I haven't used soap on my face since I was about 13. These days I use facial wipes by simple and occasionally use my Braun facial cleaning brush. My skin is too dry for soap or frequent use of the Braun.

toscalily Tue 15-Jan-19 10:49:40

I have used the Liz Earle cleanser in the past and liked it but when she sold the company I did wonder if it would change as to the ingredients or quality so started trying other similar products, some more expensive some cheaper. Think I have tried most of the hot cloth cleansers and the one I like now is the Superdrug Vitamin E, it removes my makeup well including mascara and only costs £4.99 which is a bonus. I alternate this with L'Oreal Micellar Water for Sensitive Skin. I have quite sensitive eyes and a lot of cleansers even those specifically for eyes tend to irritate and cause me discomfort but neither of these do.

Cheesey Tue 15-Jan-19 11:00:19

I love Ultra Bland by Lush. A lovely rich, moisturising cleanser which really suits my dry, sensitive skin.
I used to use the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser until they changed the ingredients and added eucalyptus. It has a strong smell and makes my eyes stream.

PECS Tue 15-Jan-19 18:47:59

That is why I use the Nablus soap. It is not drying at all and has no chemical additives. I have used Liz Earle in the past but trying hard to reduce plastic containers.

Telly Tue 15-Jan-19 18:56:59

Emma Harris beauty balm. Smells lovely, you just just a cloth to remove. It is expensive but lasts forever. Soap is too drying.

lizzypopbottle Wed 16-Jan-19 10:29:35

Hi Rosiebee What's your reason for giving up face wipes? Is it environmental?
I've just bought 'Yes to Cucumbers' face wipes, which are compostable. They more or less match for price with my previous wipes (Boots Organics range). Simple have just brought out a compostable wipe but they're much more expensive.

GabriellaG54 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:49:13

Liz Earle is overpriced. Same active ingredients in Superdrug hot cloth cleanser with cloth, £3.99 and second one 1/2 price.
Micellar water? I've used Garnier but it's not as good as cheaper makes (Superdrug brand) including rosewater.
These seen the face wipes I use. Tea Tree from The Original Factory Shop 2 for £1 and others are £1 at Primark. You'll notice that the actual wipe has bumpy bits which gently exfoliate and leave skin looking bright and healthy.

GabriellaG54 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:52:02

Bumpy wipe grin

David1968 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:52:29

Thanks PECS, for mentioning the Nablus soap. I shall certainly try this - it ticks all the boxes for me.

Nanny41 Wed 16-Jan-19 11:29:28

I use plain soap and water on a facecloth, have done so always and I am old enough to tell the tale,

123coco Wed 16-Jan-19 11:59:23

Foaming cleanses should be a no no they damage the skin’s barrier function . Try watching Dr Sam bunting on YouTube and Instagram she’s a dermatologist and now has two products they are just simple and effective . However the Waterwipes have nothing else in , just a drop of citrus juice are brilliant , no alcohol . And sometimes I will use a balm cleanser and the best one I’ve tried to date is Meramaya. Just melts ! I am finally well educated in skincare and am spending much less money. And my skin is great. Dr Davin Lim is also awesome ?