Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Holiday clothes

(35 Posts)
topsy29 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:51:44

We're off to the Canaries in the summer and already I am worrying about what to wear. I am large (size 18, 5'8"), always wear trousers and always flat shoes/sandals. Any suggestions about how I can look reasonably stylish and not out of place wearing trousers?

Urmstongran Mon 25-Feb-19 10:21:18

Loose fit linen trousers. Just right (even in white) on holiday with a colourful top.

J52 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:21:48

There are lots of lovely Kaftan styles around in the summer collections, either as longer tops over cropped leggings/ shorts or lovely flowing full length.
Glamorous sandals, bangles, beads and earrings are fun to wear on holidays.
Lots of shops have cheap embellished sandals, so you could treat yourself to a couple of pairs.

anna7 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:26:40

I know you said you always wear trousers topsy, but would you consider a loose linen or cotton casual dress? Next have some nice ones and they do a tall range too so at least they are a bit longer. I am your height and I find them very useful.

MacCavity2 Mon 25-Feb-19 10:33:45

Forget your size I’m sure you carry it beautifully. Linen, cotton, bright colours, fabulous sparkling sandals. Get the toes and nails painted. Go for it and have a super time.

ninathenana Mon 25-Feb-19 10:43:37

I have a friend who is similar height and weight as you who always wears trousers, she always looks very stylish.
In summer she does occasionaly wear maxi dresses but usually it's 3/4 linen trousers in pastle colours or cropped leggings and either long T-shirts or beautiful tops

Kalu Mon 25-Feb-19 10:55:13

I agree, lots of linen. Maxi dress, cropped trousers, tunics or long loose shirts

Any of the above can be chopped and changed then finished off with statement costume jewellery, ie, chunky type necklaces. Lots of this type of jewellery is a cheap find in charity shops.

Enjoy your holiday ☀️☀️

Floradora9 Mon 25-Feb-19 15:46:08

We go to the Canaries twice a year and anything goes as far as clothing. We go to a 4 star hotel but only the odd person gets dressed up for dinner : trousers are the usual attire for ladies . All I object to seeing is strapless tops opn really large ladies with red sunburn skin .
do people not find that linen creases so much ?

topsy29 Mon 25-Feb-19 21:47:30

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Light and bright seems to be the way to go.

grannyticktock Thu 28-Feb-19 21:08:17

When you're out and about in the daytime, you can be as casual as you like, e.g. cropped trousers, t-shirts, perhaps a vest-top with a loose cotton shirt worn over it, so your neck and shoulders don't burn.
I am not a dressy person either and have found white cotton trousers are great for changing into in the evenings, with a selection of pretty, lightweight tops or tunics. Wear flat shoes or sandals if that's what you like, I haven't worn heels for nearly 50 years, and I've had several holidays in the Canaries!

Some hotels have a more formal dress code than others, but women rarely have a problem, it's the men - the more formal hotels may insist that men don't turn up to evening dinner in sandals, shorts or vest-tops. Others are more casual - have a look at the hotel website, or Trip Advisor, if you have concerns.

One hotel we went to in La Palma had a notice in the rooms asking guests to be "elegant" for dinner. Well, too late, we couldn't go home and re-pack. We just had a giggle about it and decided we couldn't manage "elegant" but would aim for "clean"!

annep1 Thu 28-Feb-19 21:14:10

Strange to have an "elegant" dress code!

grannyticktock Sat 02-Mar-19 10:02:36

Yes, "smart" would have been a bit less alarming. It may have been because most of the guests were a
German and the text had probably been translated from Spanish first; the Spanish word is similar and the German is the same, so when they came to write it in English, "elegant" was the word that came to hand.

glammanana Sat 02-Mar-19 10:14:41

I am replacing some of my holiday clothes at the minute and yesterday bought some cropped jeans at Next,light soft denim material and so comfy to wear also a pair of cropped very wide cotton trousers which fall beautifully when on.
Next is well worth looking at they have some lovely floaty tops which are easy to wash through and don't need ironing.
Enjoy your holiday x

KatyK Sat 02-Mar-19 12:47:34

The first time we went to Venice I was so excited. I assumed it would be full of elegant women in 'posh' clothes. I bought some lovely dresses, but felt a bit of a plonsmileker when we got there as most women were in shorts or cropped trousers. Not that it mattered - I was in Venice! smile

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Mar-19 13:44:14

Lots of good suggestions and I would also pack a couple of loose linen or cotton shirts so that you can protect your neck from sunburn if necessary; even if you use suncream it can still catch!

grannyticktock Sat 02-Mar-19 14:32:05

If you're a scarf person, a couple of lightweight cotton scarves can be handy - you can use them to dress up an outfit, or just to drape around your neck and shoulders to stop them catching the sun. I always take at least one sarong, which can serve as a cover-up over a swimsuit, a skirt, a shawl, a beach mat, a pillow, or even a towel.

Brigidsdaughter Sun 03-Mar-19 10:21:08

I'm 18 again, down from 20/22.
I worried about dress on hols until arrival. I now have one skirt but live in trousers. Linen for summer here or away (weight from Hashi's which means I feel 2°hotter than everyone else). I keep tops simple and Gerry Webber all the way. Washed through 3 years, still good. I'm short n heavy so very short sleeves not so good. I prefer ones nearer elbows. I keep a nice_ish pair of flats for evenings. You'll be fine!

Smiley4 Sun 03-Mar-19 10:30:37

I agree with floradora. Does linen not crease a lot? I would never buy it for that reason.
I can see why topsy wears trousers. Unless you’re a size 6 and have a thigh gap, your legs will rub together. But I think as you are quite tall, you can look elegant and stylish. All suggestions on here sound good.

Just don’t worry about it. There will always be someone better dressed, worse dressed, a size larger or a size smaller than you. Just enjoy your break.

Greciangirl Sun 03-Mar-19 11:16:07

Linen definitely creases. Cotton with maybe a bit of stretch.

Soft viscose material, maybe. I noticed the summerclothing is now appearing in shops,

Primark have a good selection of loose fitting summer trousers.

inishowen Sun 03-Mar-19 11:19:41

The first time we went on a cruise i worried myself about what to wear. What a surprise I got when I saw everyone wearing shorts, trousers, skirts, jeans. In fact, anything goes. It's the same on any holiday. I wear knee length shorts or floaty loose trousers. I don't wear a swimsuit because I can't swim and I find them so tight and uncomfortable.

Grandson2008 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:46:37

We go to lanzarote and I love it there. I was worried as I am suze 18 and have s lot of Mark's on my legs due to meds but I was more than comfortable in cropped trousers floaty dresses and even knee length shorts. I didn't take a swimsuit but def will be doing this time. Once you see all around you having a great time and your losing out because of yourself then it's time to saygo for it have a fab holiday xx

sarahellenwhitney Sun 03-Mar-19 12:01:37

Annepl.In other words grin,don't let it all hang out.

Jalima1108 Sun 03-Mar-19 14:47:18

Unless you're holidaying with the Beckhams (I think they like Adeje and Victoria is a designer) I really wouldn't worry too much topsy!

lemongrove Sun 03-Mar-19 16:19:28

I echo what J52 says, but was a little surprised as I always assumed you were a man J ! Not sure why, probably because of the gardening threads.smile

grannyticktock Sun 03-Mar-19 16:56:05

Who knows? Perhaps it's a man who wears floaty tunic tops and high heels on holiday - you never know!