Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Comfortable bras??

(58 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Thu 07-Mar-19 09:08:44

Hi im looking for a soft comfortable bra that doesn’t rub or leave me feeling like I’m suffocating. I can't stand wired or padded or fancy lacy bras. In addition, I have a scar from a sebaceous cyst just at the edge of the top bit of the cup and some bras can rub and make the scar red and itchy and I'm worried it could set off the inflammation again I’ve forked out for loads of bras only to find they dig in or rub me

I wear Marks and Spencer's sumptuously soft ones but I want more comfort and less padding or irritating wires.

Perhaps I should just wear vest tops or go bra-less?

Any ideas please ?

Charleygirl5 Thu 07-Mar-19 09:15:36

I was going to suggest M&S. I wear their non-padded, non- wired bras and I find them comfortable. What about sports bras if they will fit you?

Fennel Thu 07-Mar-19 09:21:28

I wear Triumph Doreen bras which give firm support but have no bones.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Mar-19 09:31:17

Bravissimo have a large range of reasonably priced bras of all styles.

Kittye Thu 07-Mar-19 09:40:54

I wear M&S Smoothing Lace Wing bras. They’re non wired and non padded and very comfortable. I do have a couple of pretty lace bras that I wear for special occasions but find the smoothing ones ideal for every day wear.

Missfoodlove Thu 07-Mar-19 09:49:46

Wacoal the most comfortable ever......probably the most expensive too?.
If you have a John Lewis go and try.
TKMAXX get them in occasionally so I buy them when I can.

shysal Thu 07-Mar-19 09:53:28

If you search on line for pull-on comfort bras you should find something to suit you, loads on Ebay.

spabbygirl Thu 07-Mar-19 10:07:56

I have a similar problem & wear M&S non padded or wired bras but since loosing weight the boob part is too big. The Triumph Doreen ones seem nice, but I really fancy something pretty. The sports bras work by squashing your boobs to your chest, which I don't like. When the sales are on I'm going to John Lewis to buy a wacoal bra, to hell with the gas bill!! smile

BusterTank Thu 07-Mar-19 10:39:57

Try pull on bra's no fasteners , no seam's . Great for comfort . No good for an up lift but holds you all in . If its just comfort your looking for these are great . My daughter even uses them as a bed bra there that comfy . Happy shopping .

Alexa Thu 07-Mar-19 11:23:34

M and S full bras unwired unpadded.

Maybe you could try larger underbreast size. I had similar problem due to dowager's hump (osteoporosis effect) and found that these good M and S bras simply needed to have the shoulder straps lengthened quite a lot in order to fit my new chest measurement.

goldengirl Thu 07-Mar-19 11:26:04

I like Miss Mary of Sweden bras - and pants

Craftycat Thu 07-Mar-19 11:31:36

I'll watch this thread with interest as I have worn the same style everyday bra from Bravissimo for many years now & it has suddenly become uncomfortable later in the day,
It is an underwired TShirt bra & I have loads of them. It gives a wonderful shape but I feel I want to take it off by about 4pm. Never worn anything other than an underwired bra.

Marilla Thu 07-Mar-19 11:34:31

I have stopped wearing bras indoors. In the summer in my own garden, I don’t wear one. I struggle to find comfy, soft bras. Marks and Spencer’s no longer suit me. I will be watching this thread to pick up any tips.

Phoebes Thu 07-Mar-19 11:36:31

I've just bought several new bras from Sainsbury's. they are cotton and aren't underwired but seem to do a good job of holding body and soul together! The good thing is that they only cost six pounds each, so when they get a bit saggy or grubby-looking, you can throw them away.

Alexa Thu 07-Mar-19 11:38:51

I sometimes wonder if some bikini tops would make comfortable bras.

lhggns Thu 07-Mar-19 12:00:51

As mentioned Comfort bras. I get them from Amazon, just ordered another pack of three. My preferred brand is Marielle. I discovered them a few years ago, they come in different colours. They are stretchy nylon and pull over your head. I haven’t worn another bra for years.

blueberry1 Thu 07-Mar-19 12:24:18

Try www.coopersofstortford.co.uk for a pack of 3 comfort bras.They are pull on type and I can wear them all day without any discomfort,wonderfully soft.

inishowen Thu 07-Mar-19 12:32:09

The Doreen bras are good. I'm big in that area so need lots of support. If I was smaller I'd buy bras from supermarkets as they are so reasonable in price.

Funnygran Thu 07-Mar-19 12:57:57

Might be worth booking a bra fitting at somewhere like M&S or Debenhams. If you explain your problem they should be able to find you something that isn’t going to irritate the inflamed area.

shysal Thu 07-Mar-19 14:12:58

I was interested to hear the mention of pull-on bras going over the head. I have had so many shoulder injuries over the years that I step into mine, whatever the type. I can't even do up the hooked ones back to front and twizzle them round these days. sad

grandtanteJE65 Thu 07-Mar-19 14:15:35

I've sworn by bras by Triumph since I was thirteen.

M0nica Thu 07-Mar-19 16:02:23

At the weekends there are lots of adverts in the papers for easy wear bras, including front opening and ones that would probably meet OP's needs. Daily Mail,and sometimes Daily Telegraph are really good for these ads.

Aglassofroseplease Thu 07-Mar-19 17:07:16

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I’ve been out round the shops looking at bras - as you do when it’s raining and cold ? I’ve ordered some of the Marielle ones. So me boobs might be happy boobs soon ?

Jacinta55 Thu 07-Mar-19 17:12:48

I find these Marielle bras really comfortable. They don't give much lift or separation, but they're so comfy that I wear that at night for sleeping in.

marielle.co.uk/shop/underwear/1-pack-marielle-comfort-bra/?attribute_pa_colour=purple&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4d_I-MLw4AIV6p3tCh1AGgFmEAQYAiABEgIZr_D_BwE

B9exchange Thu 07-Mar-19 20:37:52

The only one that fits me is the Berlei non-slip, which is quaite expensive, but they do last. I have to take the bones out of the sides, and then they are extremely comfortable, and give an excellent shape, so much that people ask me where I buy them.