Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Anyone over 50 still have long hair?

(90 Posts)
Kandinsky Mon 25-Mar-19 14:21:27

I’ve still got very long hair, usually tied up in a messy bun type thing which looks ok ( I think ? grin ) now apart from not knowing what to do about the grey I’m also not sure if I should chop the lot off!
It’s still in relatively good condition which is probably why I’ve hung onto it.
Interested in your thoughts.
Long hair over 50.
Ok, or time to call it a day?

Pittcity Mon 25-Mar-19 14:27:24

Mine is shoulder length and I am happy with it as it can be worn up or down in many different ways.
I don't think age matters, it's what suits you....the day of every granny having the same helmet perm is over.

Calendargirl Mon 25-Mar-19 14:33:39

I have shoulder length hair, usually pulled up in a jaw clip. It often looks messy with straggly bits sticking out. I know my husband thinks it is untidy, which it is, but just don't feel I dare go short again. The phrase"long hair, don't care" comes to mind. I certainly don't feel the need to wash it as often as I did when it was short (daily) and I was working. Also I have never been good with hair, some people just seem able to flip it up and it looks marvellous (Meghan Markle) but I suppose she does have help!

silverlining48 Mon 25-Mar-19 14:41:02

A few years ago 80s/90s it was believed that women over 30 should not have long hair.
I don’t have long hair but that’s because it’s thin and fine but I didn’t think either then or now that there was any reason to go short. Do what makes you happy ?

Marelli Mon 25-Mar-19 14:47:23

Mine reaches the middle of my back and, having stopped dyeing it a few years ago, it's now white.
I sometimes wear it loose, but usually have it in a clasp or a messy bun.

Marelli Mon 25-Mar-19 14:48:07

Oh, I meant to add that I'm 69. ?

boheminan Mon 25-Mar-19 14:51:31

Mine's nearly waist length and I wouldn't have it cut because it's taken so many years to grow and if it's cut there wouldn't be enough years left to regrow it

Gmum Mon 25-Mar-19 14:54:21

Yes lovely long hair at 60 and loving it, intend to grow longer its a little old fashioned I know. Hairdressers are expensive and cannot say I really like having it cut short and its nice to have the option to style up or down.

KatyK Mon 25-Mar-19 15:16:54

Keep it long if you like it long, cut it short if you want it short. Age has nothing to do with it.

loopyloo Mon 25-Mar-19 15:27:16

Depends on your cheekbones. Some older models look fantastic with long hair.

EllanVannin Mon 25-Mar-19 15:30:41

Mine is about up to the middle of my back when brushed out from being tied up. I don't dye it and it's still darker at the back than the front of it. The front being a mixture of sun-bleached and grey.
It keeps me warm smile

paddyann Mon 25-Mar-19 15:32:24

mine is long about bra strap length ,I'm lucky its thick and healthy and I have it coloured with blonde highlights .I dont suit short hair and this length means its very versatile ,up or down curly or straight.I'll be 65 on Friday

tiredoldwoman Mon 25-Mar-19 15:34:22

I'm getting my shaggy, moppy ,long layered hair cut on Thursday ! I'm thinking of going for a shaggy, moppy bob to make life easier ?

pen50 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:50:47

I'm over sixty and my hair's well below my bra band, but, alas, dyed. How to transition is one of my major concerns.

Septimia Mon 25-Mar-19 20:58:53

I've noticed that a lot of older women have long hair these days although, when I was younger, I thought it was inappropriate unless it was worn 'up'. Mine's a bit shorter than usual at the moment as it's been trimmed to tidy it up. Usually it's well below my shoulders so that I can wear it up in variety of styles if I want to. Day to day, I just clip it back or put it in a pony tail if it's straggly. Also, it's white, with some darker bits at the back, and I'm 67. I've thought of having it short but then I would only be able to wear it in one style!

Tangerine Mon 25-Mar-19 21:33:22

If I had hair that would grow long and would look good, I'd have long hair. You can do so many things with it.

Tangerine Mon 25-Mar-19 21:33:59

I ought to have added - I am over 50.

M0nica Mon 25-Mar-19 22:05:56

Six months time and DDiL will fall in that category. Lovely long brown hair cascading down her back.

Cannot see her ever cutting her hair.

rosecarmel Mon 25-Mar-19 22:27:17

I'm 59, have waist length hair - it's thick and that's after losing 1/3 throughout menopause- the doc said to take biotin- but since sebum production has reduced greatly can't say biotin would help but can try it - I don't do anything with my hair, it has a mind of its own - it's incredibly kinky in places, straight as an arrow in others, mostly at the top -- so flat top - have a long face, and look.like a metal head / hardcore chick/guy -- take your pick- I wear mostly co-ed boyfriend type clothes- I've been told I look hideous in makeup- and similar was said when I wear nail polish- a doctor once asked me if I own horses .. He said I look like the type .. My daughter and grand d are gorgeous, unlike myself, and yet get mistaken for men often .. Anyway, come summer I clip my hair up in a mess on the top of my head and call it day - several years before my husband died I cut my hair short, he didn't speak to me for weeks ..

fairisle Mon 25-Mar-19 22:44:02

I will be 55 in a few weeks,my hair is just below my shoulders.i`m thinking of growing it abit longer as i `m hoping it will make my face look abit slimmersmile I wouldn`t like short hair i really don`t think i would suit it,my hair is a dark chestnut with grey bits.

lilypollen Mon 25-Mar-19 22:47:07

rosecarmel don't diss yourself in comparison to DD and DGD. I love the idea that you have your hair clipped up on top of your head! I let my hairdresser have carte blanche 3 weeks ago, result is colour that myself and family don't like and it was cut far too short. Oh well it will grow! Decided that in mid 60s I can't do short.

DanniRae Tue 26-Mar-19 14:37:16

My hair is dyed brown, shoulder length, straight with a fringe and I am fed-up with it. Looks ok on day I wash it but, like today, it just seems to hang there and look boring. I'd love to have a trendy cut but I know it would lie flat and floppy and still be boring. I was 70 last year and used to be told that I didn't look that old but now I know I look that old.......can you tell that I am having a bad hair and face day? Sorry for rant!! confused

minesaprosecco Tue 26-Mar-19 19:31:48

I love my long, white hair! It looks best when I straighten it, as it is frizzy and looks 'old' if I don't. I used to dye it, but gradually went lighter and lighter till it was completely natural. No intention of cutting it short ever unless I absolutely have to.

red1 Wed 27-Mar-19 09:48:32

long hair is cool on older men and women, the problem is keeping it in good condition,and the thinning ,applies to both sexes.your diet smoking drinking genetics play a big part.Im male 63 and would like to grow it to shoulder length,but it gets too out of control! women should celebrate their greys! society norms usually dictate hair fashions etc.(I spent some years as a hairdresser)

Craftycat Wed 27-Mar-19 10:06:22

I had mine cut to a jaw length bob when I felt it was dragging my face down having hanks of hair either side of face.
Much easier to manage now.