Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The sun is out and I look 'orrible.

(176 Posts)
Lily65 Mon 22-Apr-19 17:30:59

Please don't tell me to go on a diet ( I am) or to buy clothes from Primark ( they look hideous)

Budget is small, bottom is large as are basookas. What to do?

Lily65 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:01:44

www.marksandspencer.com/tie-front-short-sleeve-t-shirt-midi-dress/p/p60261358?image=SD_01_T42_7079S_F0_X_EC_90&color=NAVY&prevPage=plp

Deedaa Mon 22-Apr-19 21:20:18

My go to for summer is wide leg linen trousers. I like a longish T shirt or vest with a long shirt or kaftan style jacket. Anything that sweeps past my lack of waist so that, hopefully, no one notices. Chunky necklaces are always good, and long colourful scarves. Don' t totally dismiss Primark Lily65 I bought a lovely pair of trousers in a sort of Indian print. They look great with a plain top.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Apr-19 21:34:50

Love your bum so many older ladies lose them You’re one lucky lady if you’ve kept a round bun

bikergran Mon 22-Apr-19 22:09:19

Next time your out, take a seat and "people watch" look at how other various sized ladies dress and what they wear, pick up some ideas, floaty loose clothes.

I used to buy clothes that were to tight clingy(showed all my spare tyres) I now wear baggier looser fitting clothes.

crazyH Mon 22-Apr-19 22:18:42

I 'm the most misshapen being there is. Mild Scoliosis, big tummy, skinny legs etcetc. So my choice of clothes is always, loose, loose, loose.....

Callistemon Mon 22-Apr-19 22:45:29

I looked at the dress:

Item details
Model Height: 5ft 9"/175cm
Model is wearing size: 8

I have an East skirt which I must have bought at least 10 years ago (maybe more).
How I wish I'd bought more before I realised the shop had shut.

Bagatelle Mon 22-Apr-19 22:56:06

Good underwear is a must, but loose clothing on someone size 16+ tends to look like a tent or a spinnaker.

Jane10 Tue 23-Apr-19 06:58:30

The dresses I bought (and the one in the pic) are nicely fitted on top. There are adjustable ties. It's basically empire line. If it wasn't so fitted I could look like a ship in full sail. But I don't. Phew!

hdh74 Tue 23-Apr-19 07:25:40

Embrace the sack o'spuds look - it's the new hourglass dontcha know - that's what I'm telling myself. Seriously though, if my body is working so that I can do things (and it isn't always) then I've decided that is beautiful enough and society with it's stick-thin painted models ideal can go do one till it grows up, stops hanging on the words of the ad-men who want to make money out of our insecurities, and values the beauty within more than some silly image.

hdh74 Tue 23-Apr-19 07:27:43

And gosh if that sounds like I'm saying anyone here is silly, I didn't mean that at all! I feel as insecure as the next and try to find things that hide my imperfections, I'm just sharing my new way of trying to handle it.

Sara65 Tue 23-Apr-19 08:03:38

Don’t worry hdh74! I expect most of us are doing the same! These days it’s not so much, do I look gorgeous? As do I not look too awful?

MawBroonsback Tue 23-Apr-19 08:11:27

I could weep for the disappearance of EAST
I have a couple of shirts and a white linen Kurta type tunic which are very forgiving but won’t last for ever.
There is Sahara - but at a price ?

Lily65 Tue 23-Apr-19 08:19:17

Jane, well done for finding something that fits, looks good and you posted a picture too!!!

Pittcity Tue 23-Apr-19 08:26:15

I have a few bits from Tillets, a one size type shop....think roomy.
Reasonable prices. They also have a Facebook page for people to sell pre- loved items.
I am also the owner of Primark t-shirts, leggings, wide leg trousers. TK Maxx is another good place for a rummage.
I have been looking at what the youngsters have been wearing in this recent hot weather and even the very large are flaunting all they've got......!

Sara65 Tue 23-Apr-19 08:54:37

Hello, MawBroonsback
I too am devastated by the loss of East!
I like Sahara, but I’m not very tall, and it tends to swamp me!

Telly Tue 23-Apr-19 09:33:02

Bikergran has an excellent idea - look at what looks good on others and use that as a style guide. La redoute has a good selection as do j d sports. Regards

rizlett Tue 23-Apr-19 10:09:37

Watch 'Naked Beach' on channel 4.

Nothing about your body needs to change apart from your acceptance and love for it. flowers

Yorkshiregirl Tue 23-Apr-19 10:17:05

Try charity shops if your budget is low

Sara65 Tue 23-Apr-19 10:19:56

Love your attitude rizlett, not sure I’m confident enough to adopt it myself!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 23-Apr-19 10:21:03

Is dressmaking an option? I must have about ten summer dresses which I made with the same pattern over the years - it's sleeveless though and you may not be happy about showing off your arms. I find it skims past my tummy. Plus, I make it a bit bigger so that I can pull it on over my shoulders as I didn't want to go to the trouble of putting a zip in it. Widowed so no husband to help zip up at the back.
Burda A 7093 - it's got a daft cape with it which I ignored. If I had the technology I'd put a picture on.

DoraMarr Tue 23-Apr-19 10:23:14

Well, I like To.ast, which has lovely fabrics and prints, and dresses with sleeves too. Expensive, but reasonable in the sale, and anyway I’d rather have a few nice things than buy cheaply. They last ages, too. I’m size 16, but size 14 in Toast dresses and trousers.

sarah6980 Tue 23-Apr-19 10:24:59

I wonder if you might take a look at an online company calked Kit and Kaboodle. The clothes are not too expensive but are just lovely for the fuller figure. They are also quirky and fun. I found this site by accident and have spent far too much money on it. I hope this helps xx

Fernbergien Tue 23-Apr-19 10:27:06

Have a look on the clearance site on QVCUK. Got many a bargain but people size 16 upwards always do better. Being a 14 I miss out sometimes. Also scarves are very good and you can find good ones in charity shops.

marpau Tue 23-Apr-19 10:27:17

Try Vinted or eBay you can often pick up new items someone has bought and never worn.

leyla Tue 23-Apr-19 10:30:32

Have a look in George at Asda if you are on a budget. I am presently wearing a short patterned dress from there with a little cardi over the top and I think I look quite funky...that was funky, not funny!! Wore the same with skinny white jeans, denim jacket and dangly earrings and was happy with that too.
Best thing you can do is get a good haircut.