Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

The sun is out and I look 'orrible.

(176 Posts)
Lily65 Mon 22-Apr-19 17:30:59

Please don't tell me to go on a diet ( I am) or to buy clothes from Primark ( they look hideous)

Budget is small, bottom is large as are basookas. What to do?

Sara65 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:42:23

I think you’re right Lily, we either have to accept ourselves as we are, or stop moaning and do something about it! (Easier said than done of course)

phoenix Wed 24-Apr-19 17:27:08

magrithea the shirt thing seems to work ok ish for me, (I think?) I have a very small bust, a more generous derriere than I would like, and heavy thighs!

These days, (and it seems to have happened rather quickly!) I just seem to look in profile like a letter "S", or to put it another way, all bum and tum.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:28:46

Today I went to M&S to collect an order (animal print melamine dinner plate set, 4 tiger print glasses and mstchig cake stand) all 20%off. Before going to the good hall I bought another pair of chinos (£19.50) in a sort of ochre colourway, size 14 regular. My usual size is 16 elsewhere but Marks seems to be giving good value for money nowadays and the fit is perfect.
That makes 6 pairs of different colours in 2 differnt styles in the last 2 months.
I usually wear v neck t-shirts knotted at the waist or a white blouse or shirt partly tucked in however, I have a (16+ yr old) M&S navy tencel short sleeve blouse which will go with the chinos and navy espadrilles.
I also bought a blue/white striped narrow neck vase £15 and a Fresh Apple diffuser £6 all on offer.
Tomorrow my Carly duvet set in neutral and grey arrives, again, 20% off the original price of £22.50.
You can't beat M&S at the moment.
Try their fantastic Centenary Malling English strawberries £2. I've already eaten one of the 2 punnets I bought.

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:30:51

Have you got shares in M&S as well, GabriellaG?
grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:33:46

Oops!
mstchig/good/differnt matching/food/ different blush

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:34:16

No, but I bank with them.

Lily65 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:46:54

Sadly, these days you can beat M and S. Garish, frumpy clothes made of cheap fabric and no customer service.

petra Wed 24-Apr-19 19:51:52

GG54
I've ordered the yellow Chinos. Beautiful colour grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 21:25:11

Great material too Petra. grin

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 21:42:52

I saw the dress that Jane10 showed in photo.
The material doesn't look as swishy but I do like the bronze coloured satin midi skirt which looks far far nicer in RL than online.
That's my next buy as you can wear it in winter (it's lined) and could dress it up with sexy shoes or, as in the photos, with white chunky trainers in summer.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 23:01:46

Sleep time for me in my £1.80 cami and viscose ankle-cuff bottoms £4 both Primark (made in Bangladesh)
M&S chinos bought today, made in Bangladesh and night-time water courtesy of Thames Water in an M&S tumbler made in China.
Radio (made in England) £219.
Sleep well. smile

Florence64 Thu 25-Apr-19 14:55:07

I don't know why, but larger clothing manufacturers seem to be obsessed with wanting us to wear crop trousers and a 'medium' inside leg is 29". I'm only 5'7" with a 32" inside leg. I can easily get short trousers, but I want long trousers as I hate my legs and swollen ankles. If I can find them I usually buy lose fitting jersey trousers, which I wear with long tops. I find the style of top that goes in just below the bust and then flares out again quite flattering, especially if it has a low neckline and handkerchief type pleats at the bottom. I've bought a couple of very light cardigans that cover my behind, which are nice thrown over a sleeveless top. I don't like blouses or skirts, but I do like maxi dresses. I stick to black and white with an accent colour, such as bright pink, or shades of blue, i.e. dark blue trousers with a lighter blue top. Generally speaking I won't wear high necklines or short tops/trousers because they just don't suit me.

Witzend Thu 25-Apr-19 16:44:19

Despite the direness of much of their stuff now, I've always found M&S summer linen good. I have several pairs of wide leg, full length trousers from previous years, and some loose shirt type things, to wear alone or over a camisole.

I absolutely do not do shorts, or sleeveless anything any more (except for swimsuit at beach or pool) and personally I think crop trousers are a massive no-no unless you're tall and very slim - that is unless you actually want to look shorter and dumpier than you actually are, of course.

Even when it's really hot (I used to live in extremely hot countries) I find it cooler and more comfortable to be covered up in loose cotton or linen, rather than have the sun beating down on you.

Lily65 Thu 25-Apr-19 18:11:48

Gosh, you are probably right about crop trousers. I has 2 pairs from Hush which I wore last year. They were sort of silky though so slightly kinder.

Lily65 Thu 25-Apr-19 18:14:25

Hush cropped easy trousers.

dizzygran Sun 28-Apr-19 08:49:57

Try H&M .. loose tousers AND TOP. navy and white is slimming. Scarf can add colour. Stand tall and smile...

Sara65 Sun 28-Apr-19 09:01:22

Just been looking at a white stuff email, some of their linen items look quite nice

Gonegirl Sun 28-Apr-19 09:59:56

The top I linked to from Kit and Kaboodal arrived. I will keep it. It will do round the house and garden if we get another hot summer, but I don't think it was worth the money. Looks a bit like hospital scrubs.

Lily65 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:54:54

Oh no...it will do around the house is not what we hope for!!!

MawBroonsback Mon 29-Apr-19 09:48:29

If you will pardon the language, this says it all! grin

Gonegirl Mon 29-Apr-19 09:55:42

Lily65 I see my top is 'sold out' on the website now. Do you think we have given them some publicity.

Actually, I have washed the top through and it has softened up. Drapes better now. All is not lost.

Gonegirl Mon 29-Apr-19 09:57:48

Shall we play "which one is me" on that chart? Perhaps not. I'm not 'fessing up! grin

Lily65 Mon 29-Apr-19 18:46:47

Hurrah ! Gonegirl, a happy story.

Callistemon Mon 29-Apr-19 19:29:57

MawBroonsback grin

But nobody's seeing me in a bikini!

MaddyB Tue 30-Apr-19 15:15:36

Have a go at Couch to 5K. I’ve never run but the programme takes you through from mostly walking then increasing by TINY little steps. I’m on week 4 to my amazement. Great way to lose weight and feel more confident. But get proper shoes from a shop with a gait analysis machine.
Go for it!!!