Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tummy Flattener

(35 Posts)
ickle Tue 23-Apr-19 15:03:00

Please can anyone recommend a good corset/girdle/basque shop online that sell tummy holder inners that actually do the job?

Ive tried magic nickers & ones from ebay etc but non actually hep and are a waste of money.

Id be very grateful for some help
Thank you

Jacinta55 Tue 23-Apr-19 17:47:15

I've worn Miss Mary corselette's for years and find them effective in holding me in. My daughter says that Spanx is now much better, but I've never tried it.

Magrithea Wed 24-Apr-19 09:35:15

I like Spanx but not everyone finds them comfortable and they can feel a bit constricting! I've worn the M&S shaping bodies which allow you to wear your own bra (the ones with bras never work for me) but you do have to fiddle with the gusset poppers when going to the loo!

lots of the 'long line' panty styles just roll down when you bend or sit so if you want a smooth look then a body is the way to go

annodomini Wed 24-Apr-19 10:27:36

I have horrid memories of the 'girdles' we wore until they became obsolete sometime in the '60s. I bought one for a wedding some years ago, but the spare tyre just bulged over the top.

Saggi Wed 24-Apr-19 10:42:23

Asking the wrong person here..... since realising I was constructing my whole body into tight rubbish for the sake of others and not me I’ve ditched all the crap. No bra’s, no corsets, no Spanx... just my lovely flesh breathing and doing what it’s supposed to do ... wobble... do yourself a favour and bin it all.

Rosepaul Wed 24-Apr-19 10:58:05

I am with Magrithea on this, I too have an M and S one wearing my own bra. Stops the midriff bugle and gives you a much smoother shape .

Telly Wed 24-Apr-19 11:15:43

M and s have a good selection that seem to do the job

Hymnbook Wed 24-Apr-19 11:26:46

I bought 3 Bella bodies camisoles off a well known shopping channel. The results on the telly look fabulous. Not the same effect on me. Waste of good money. Just added another layer when the weather was cold.

blueberry1 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:37:34

I'm with you saggi,why be uncomfortable all day for the sake of looking a bit thinner?Life's too short.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:55:28

Wear smaller size jeans/trousers and practice sit-ups every day with no assistance.

David1968 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:57:32

I agree wholeheartedly with Saggi. Buy some nice clothes instead, and be comfortable. I certainly have a tummy too, but long tops do a marvellous job!

David1968 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:59:09

PS I have to say that I can't agree with saggi about the ditching the bras though.....for me that would be a step to far.....

jennilin Wed 24-Apr-19 12:15:01

Miss Mary of Sweden are the best and I've tried them all.. Expensive though but they last if you follow washing instructions. The firm ones are the most effective.

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 13:05:53

I would need a corset that pulled everything up and then in. I wouldn't want things squished down (and out! shock

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 13:06:28

It's all got to go somewhere. The right place would be good.

JenniferEccles Wed 24-Apr-19 13:14:01

By far the best way is to lose weight (if you need to) and then embark on abdomen strengthening exercises.

You can find them online. They only take a few minutes but they do need to be done regularly. You will soon see results.

So much better than trying to squash everything into some uncomfortable, constricting garment.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 13:28:19

Does anyone remember the godawful ‘Trim wheel’?

My mum had one in the 70’s. A small wheel with 2 handles poking out. The idea was to kneel down, grab the handles and push the darned thing out along the floor and back - to tighten the tummy muscles and ‘beat the bulge’!

What it did for back strain I have no idea.

Lemmony99 Wed 24-Apr-19 13:28:36

How can your wear a firm girdle in the heat though ? it can't be healthy .My sister wears a rock solid girdle 365 days a year plus 2 pairs of extra thick tights to cover her varicose veins and I can't imagine how uncomfy that must be .I am with Saggi , but I have to wear a bra for modesty : )

Blinko Wed 24-Apr-19 13:58:26

Sounds like there's a call for that 'harvest festival' underwear mentioned on another thread... when all is safely gathered in. grin

Sheilasue Wed 24-Apr-19 14:20:10

Cut out the bread and potatoes. I found that not eating bread everyday and potatoes as much, my stomach has gone down and my muffin top too.

4allweknow Wed 24-Apr-19 15:49:50

Go to kettlebell classes. No jumping about, lying on floor etc. Just using your arms basically. Great exercise and you will loose weight and tone up everything.

AlisonKF Wed 24-Apr-19 15:52:05

Get some supportive vest tops . Pull down firmly. Advantage is no hooked gusset - impossibly fiddly especially as you get older.
I have lost weight successfully over three years by simply eating less, habitually. After a while, you really don't want to eat large meals. I have come down three dress sizes and still eat cake every day. I can't take exercise because of osteoarthritis so reducing the calorie count is the way to go. Avoid weight watching clubs. You just become obsessed with food. Weigh regularly, eat simple breakfast ( porridge with ground linseed and skimmed milk every day for me). If still rushing out to work, then take some oatcakes with you. Suck your stomach in regularly throughout the day.

glammagran Wed 24-Apr-19 17:00:54

My grandmother who was 5’2” and weighed 6 stone (or less) wore a girdle. I can only imagine she’d have felt naked wearing ordinary underwear.

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 17:02:08

Yes. That "suck your stomach in regularly throughout the day" is a good tip. Thanks for the reminder AlisonKF.

I'm afraid a supportive vest top pulled down over my stomach, would soon spring back up again. sad

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 17:03:38

Thank the flip my Easter egg choc is now eaten. Back to sensible eating now. Amen.