Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Organic beauty products

(38 Posts)
tanith Fri 24-May-19 08:36:51

I want to cut down the plastic bottles in my bathroom and try finding some organic products shower soap, shampoos etc but there is so much choice I’m looking for recommendations. Something moisturising, that has a nice but natural smell that doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg would be good.
So ladies what do you use?

tanith Fri 24-May-19 08:37:58

Probably be inundated with ads now ? but I never even look so totally wasted on me lol.

purplepansyem Fri 24-May-19 10:11:20

You could try Lush. They are expensive but explain what they are about on their website.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-May-19 10:17:06

Be careful with Lush. They promote as organic but actually lots of their products are not.

I only found out by accident that it’s only the ones with a green label. If it has a black label it’s just as chemical as anything else.

I get my soap from a small local producer with his own little workshop. Then I can see exactly what goes into it and what the process is.

EmilyHarburn Fri 24-May-19 10:24:45

Why not try
www.greenpeople.co.uk/

Squiffy Fri 24-May-19 10:45:55

Dr Bronner soap bars are lovely. Not cheap, but they last for ages. If you shop around online there are always bargains to be had!

Here are the ingredients for the rose scented one:

Ingredients
Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Palm Oil*, Sodium Hydroxide**, Water, Organic Olive Oil*, Natural Rose Fragrance, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Sea Salt, Citric Acid, Tocopherol CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS *?None remains after saponifying oils into soap & glycerin.

grannyhelen60 Fri 24-May-19 10:58:10

Try Splosh . You have one plastic bottle for each product. Which is refilled and replaced for free if it breaks. So good product, reasonably priced and far less plastic ?

dancingnana1 Fri 24-May-19 11:08:39

I use Caurnie soap which is produced locally . It is all organically made.
See the website.

blueberry1 Fri 24-May-19 11:13:17

Try mygreenpod.com.They have a list and information on lots of ethical products including toiletries.

JanaNana Fri 24-May-19 11:17:07

There's a company on line called Cyril's Soap Shed based in Hampshire. It makes organic soap and shampoo bars using goats milk. No palm oil at all. They sell individual or bundles of 10 and in various fragrances. Bundles cost around £36 for ten bars. Not sure if you can mix and match the soap and shampoo bars though. Sometimes they do bundles of non fragrance soaps a bit misshapen and a bit cheaper. Ideal also for eczema sufferers or psoriasis. It's lovely soap, I had some bought as a gift and really enjoyed using it, although I generally use another hand made vegan soap I get in Boots (Faith in Nature).

Emelle Fri 24-May-19 11:31:23

This site - www.lovelula.co.uk has lots of products in various price ranges. I have started using soap bars again for body and hair. I use Ben and Anna's deodorant in a cardboard tube. I love the Lyonsleaf range which uses glass jars and metal lids.It's also worth looking at www.evolvebeauty.co.uk which is another of my favourite ranges.

Craftycat Fri 24-May-19 11:39:09

I only ever use Tropic products on face & body now.Made with no animal products & not tested on animals. Approved by Vegan society & anti- Animal Cruelty charities.
It does come in a plastic type bottles/jars but I am not sure if they can be recycled. I'll look into it though.
Due to the ethical approach they take I would think that of they are but I'll check. The woman who started it up won The Apprentice in 2011 think it was to fund it.
My skin is amazing for my age & I put it all down to these products. They smell lovely too.

Craftycat Fri 24-May-19 12:10:57

Well - that was quick. They came straight back to me &the majority of it is & soon it will all be but they will supply a bag for you to send it back to them FOC if your local council does not re-cycle the types you have & they will dispose of it where it can be taken.

Shirleyw Fri 24-May-19 12:14:35

I use Neals yard products...prices but organic

MysticalUnicorn Fri 24-May-19 12:30:19

Weleda, totally natural products, minimal plastic and recyclable, ethical, fabulous products. Their Skin Food is the best product ever made.

Gingergirl Fri 24-May-19 12:40:20

A great post Tanith! I’m going to look at the links above and try to change a product a month. They are more expensive but I’m so sick of plastic...pesticides...animal testing...and all the other rubbish going on in the world. I’ve just been planting in the garden and am wondering about all the plastic containers, I rather shortsightedly, bought the plants in. It so depresses me.With the knowledge we now have, we really do need to start changing our ways I think. There is no excuse if we want a half decent world for our grandchildren and their children to come.

pob Fri 24-May-19 13:15:52

I totally agree with Craftycat about Tropic products. They are a bit pricey but well worth it if you can afford it. My skin and hair have never been better.

jenni123 Fri 24-May-19 13:31:31

sorry off topic but I had to say, as I was reading all your replies I saw and did a double take when I read the name dancingnana1 , double take as I read it as dancing anal

jools1903 Fri 24-May-19 13:58:45

Neals Yard Remedies Organic!! Totally chemical free!! Beautiful products and packaged in glass or recyclable packaging.
Try their website www.uk.nyrorganic.com/shop

boheminan Fri 24-May-19 14:04:44

I use Pure Collection (there's two little dots above the 'u' in Pure, but I can't do them on my laptop!). It's a relatively new small company, passionate about producing certified organic products. Aligned with the Soil Association, no animal testing, all the 'good things' certified. Comes in little golden metalic/black containers with pipettes, all re-cyclable. Quite expensive, but a little goes a long way.

edsnana Fri 24-May-19 14:28:03

Craftycat, I am also a Tropic user, absolutely love the products. They are pricey but a little seems to go a long way

HildaW Fri 24-May-19 14:54:29

Another Neal's yard fan here....also the Dr Organics range in Holland and Barrett are quite good.
Also there is a lovely small company called Herb Pharmacy that makes small batches of very mild but effective potions.

HildaW Fri 24-May-19 14:56:15

oops its Herbfarmacy.....they are very particular about not being a Pharmacy.

Grannyguitar Fri 24-May-19 15:01:04

Lush always seem to make over-perfumed items. Going past one of their shops is enough to give me a headache!

tanith Fri 24-May-19 15:32:36

Thank you all for all the great recommendations I’m going to look at them all.
Do the shampoo bars work just like liquid? I mean leave hair squeaky clean?