Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Self tanning

(32 Posts)
NanKate Mon 10-Jun-19 22:09:10

My legs look white and horrid and as I want to wear a summer dress (if the weather allows) for my DS’s 45th Birthday, a recommendation of a self tan would be helpful. They always smell so awful that I use it once then throw the bottle away.

My other idea is to wear some cropped leggings. Do you know where I can get some lightweight ones, all my other pairs are pretty thick and heavy ?

gransal Mon 10-Jun-19 22:35:14

try rimell sun shimmer. It is a wash off product and does not smell awful. Moisturise your legs well before you use it, it leaves a nice hint of colour. Hope this helps.

NanKate Tue 11-Jun-19 06:47:33

I like the sound of that Gransal thanks.

J52 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:24:02

I use one of the gradual tanning moisturisers on my winter white legs. Dove and Garnier do good ones that don’t smell too awful.

Daddima Tue 11-Jun-19 09:01:31

Skinny Tan. It lasts for ages, no streaks, no smell.

DanniRae Tue 11-Jun-19 09:03:00

Try M & S for cropped leggings.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 11-Jun-19 09:03:02

I never worry about my pale legs, if others want to laugh at them, then so be it.

glammanana Tue 11-Jun-19 09:36:15

NanKate I have used all the above mentioned and they all work well just don't forget to wash your hands after applying x

Happiyogi Tue 11-Jun-19 10:58:04

I'd suggest you use whichever product you settle on for a few times before the event so you know how much to apply and feel confident with it.

Before tanning, exfoliate well, especially knees and heels, and moisturise thoroughly so your skin is smooth and soft. This prevents the product from 'grabbing' and gives a more natural finish - like prepping a canvas or woodwork for painting.

Enjoy the party!

Yorksherlass Tue 11-Jun-19 11:53:55

Skinny Tan for me , tried the rest and this is the best ,just remember exfoliate and I always put moisturiser on dry spots first

aggie Tue 11-Jun-19 12:04:49

I use thin disposable gloves for applying Dove tanning moisturiser

Dancing Fri 05-Jul-19 04:33:00

Hi nankate, I live on the Gold Coast Australia. I love a tan but won’t risk skin cancer so use Bondi Sands. It’s a lovely natural looking tan. I like a dark tan so use extra dark, but there are other shades. You can buy it on ebay, I’m sure
You would love it!

Willow500 Fri 05-Jul-19 06:02:44

I've used Bondi Sands too (available here in the UK in Boots) - I also like Decleor's self tan which you can get online. That has a pleasant smell.

SirChenjin Fri 05-Jul-19 08:58:02

Isle of Paradise self tanning drops are now my best friend. I’m very pale so self tanning has always been a challenge but these are so easy - you just mix with your normal moisturiser and you can alter the number of drops until you get the colour you like. The product comes in light, medium and dark so it’s easy to tailor

Saxifrage Fri 05-Jul-19 09:34:00

Boots Soltan foam is very easy to apply. Use the Light/medium first. There is a darker one if you want it later. I use a this latex glove to rub it in very thoroughly.

JackyB Fri 05-Jul-19 11:42:29

I think they have now developed the self-tanning products further so that that ghastly smell is now avoided.

GabriellaG54 Fri 05-Jul-19 23:18:18

If you do your legs you'll have to do arms, hands, face, neck and any other skin on show, otherwise you will look odd.

GabriellaG54 Fri 05-Jul-19 23:19:31

You were born with white skin, be proud of it.

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jul-19 09:53:51

I was born with lots of things I’m happy to use products to improve upon or make amendments to Gabriella. What an odd thing to say about fake tan.

grannyticktock Sat 06-Jul-19 10:08:45

I like the Dove product called Summer Revived. I only ever use it on holiday, on my lower legs, fading it out above the knee (an area rarely on public view!). My arms and face tan quite nicely and naturally, but my legs remain obstinately white, with an added touch of grey due to varicose veins, so they look slightly less awful with a touch of fake tan. The Dove product (I use the darker one, the fair one doesn't do it for me) is quite pleasantly scented and doesn't have that weird after-smell that some products used to have.

GabriellaG54 Sat 06-Jul-19 14:13:23

Each to his own view SirChenjin
I can't see why people want to alter their skin colour either with fakery or lying under a hot sun.

grannyticktock Sat 06-Jul-19 15:44:40

We could say the same about makeup, which is used to alter skin tone, lip colour, eyelid colour, eyebrow shape and colour, etc ; or about hair colour. Or fake tan. Some of us don't use all or indeed any of those, it's just a matter of choice and priority - and also, how you look without any "artificial" help at all. Most of us have, or think we have, one or two areas or features that look better with some enhancement.

petra Sat 06-Jul-19 15:56:39

Get yourself booked for a spray tan ?

MawBroonsback Sat 06-Jul-19 15:59:20

We could say the same about makeup, which is used to alter skin tone, lip colour, eyelid colour, eyebrow shape and colour, etc ; or about hair colour. Or fake tan
Good point Granny ticktock .

SirChenjin Sat 06-Jul-19 17:34:08

Exactly Granny. Why single out fake tan?