Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Wedding dresses

(145 Posts)
MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 10:53:25

Inspired by Soop’s kitchen, I wondered if any of you are brave (?) enough to post a picture of you in your wedding dress?

Go on, go on, go on!

Nannytopsy Fri 21-Jun-19 13:45:47

Have you noticed the necklines? Largely a high one, several stand up collars even. Not like today grin

Day6 Fri 21-Jun-19 13:58:43

Mine was very much a 70s dress. It was white, had a high neckline, bat-wing voile sleeves and was empire-line. I wore it with a short veil and (arrgh!) carried a spray of peach artificial flowers! Aaaargh again! What was I thinking??

Wish I'd enjoyed it more. I was shy and hated being the centre of attention. I just wanted to get the day over with, even though we had the most beautiful, silver service, small reception at a restaurant on Egon Ronay's list.

annodomini Fri 21-Jun-19 14:22:01

Mine was empire line, with a shallow scoop neckline and trumpet sleeves.There were appliquéd roses, stuffed with cotton wool to make them stand out, on the bodice. Short veil and spray bouquet of yellow roses. I wanted lily of the valley too, but apparently it doesn't grow in Kenya. My train got a bit muddy, because we risked having the wedding in the middle of the long rains. Luckily we caught a glorious, hot, sunny day so had an outdoor reception with a cold buffet. My dad's bald spot got sunburnt.

kittylester Fri 21-Jun-19 14:46:18

Mine is also on the kitchen thread. DD3 is getting married in Vegas and is thinking of borrowing my veil which I think prompted the talk of wedding dresses.

Another gransnetter had the same dress as me, possibly the actual same dress, as mine was hired too. The earmuff headdress caused great hilarity when DD came at lunch time and tried it on.

Maggiemaybe Fri 21-Jun-19 14:56:39

My dress was hired too, as well as the veil and headdress. Probably much to my mother's disappointment, as she came with me to choose, and I insisted on the first dress I tried on. If memory serves correctly, the cost of the whole outfit was £32. It's a good job we didn't have to pay for cleaning, as it was a very rainy day and it went back very mud-splattered.

DanniRae Fri 21-Jun-19 15:08:52

My dress for my 1970 wedding was very like yours kitty - it cost me £18.50 from D.H Evens or John Lewis - can never recall which. I had a 'bomb' shaped head dress covered in artificial flowers and a short veil attached to the back of it.

phoenix Fri 21-Jun-19 15:15:45

Hmm, might be able to find one of wedding number 2, but they were all just casual photos taken by friends.

Will have to have a rummage............

Sara65 Fri 21-Jun-19 16:12:47

Mine was made by my mother in law, she couldn’t resist adding lots of lace, and frills which I didn’t really care for! But it was empire line , high neck, big puffy sleeves!

The only photos were taken by a friend, and I honestly don’t know where they are!

MiniMoon Fri 21-Jun-19 16:25:22

My dress was by Pronuptia. At £60, it was the cheapest in the shop but I loved it nonetheless. My mother was pleased with the price?. It had a high neck, long sleeves and a crinoline skirt. Little embroidered flowers all over.
I'm afraid I can't do a photo as my album is languishing in the recesses of the crawl space in a box behind the assorted pieces of luggage and the Christmas decorations.

MiniMoon Fri 21-Jun-19 17:01:10

Remembered a photo we have on display. Here we are. You can see the detail, but the style is obvious.?

Margsus Fri 21-Jun-19 17:27:40

June 1978 - 41 years and a couple of stone ago!

kittylester Fri 21-Jun-19 17:53:34

marsus, your headdress looks like my earmuffs! And very lovely you look wearing them!

callgirl1 Fri 21-Jun-19 17:55:09

I posted on the other thread, but here it is again, plus my parents in January 1942, my father was killed 11 months later.

Jane10 Fri 21-Jun-19 18:00:00

So sad about your Dad callgirl

Treebee Fri 21-Jun-19 19:22:34

Hoping this works as I haven’t posted a photo before. Here’s our wedding in 1976. Dress made by a dressmaker from a paper pattern I supplied.

callgirl1 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:30:42

Thank you Jane10.
What lovely photos so far. MawB has posted her wedding photo before, but not in this thread. Very lovely they both looked as well.

Nanabilly Fri 21-Jun-19 21:37:46

This is our wedding day in 1977
If it's worked that is !

Urmstongran Fri 21-Jun-19 22:36:33

I’m really enjoying looking at all these brides!
Thank you Maw for starting such a different thread.
?

MawBroonsback Fri 21-Jun-19 22:50:36

I am sure I have posted one already, but here goes - 1970!

GabriellaG54 Sat 22-Jun-19 01:46:38

Mine was cream wild silk Grecian style, backless with a lace front and narrow cream ribbon around the waist. No veil and my (then long auburn) hair was plaited from the sides to keep the rest off my face and secured at the back with cream ribbons and roses.
We were married in Ireland and honeymoon was a 3 week driving holiday in Italy visiting Capri and the Costa Smeralda...in a Capri, one of the first.

yabeshphotography Sat 22-Jun-19 01:57:22

Great discussion

Willjac123 Sat 22-Jun-19 09:36:47

I bought my wedding dress in the sale at Shepard's of Gateshead for £7 in 1980! I wanted to jazz it up a bit but refused to pay the price for real lace ( what a cheapskate!) so used curtain net instead. Looked alright to me!

Edgeways Sat 22-Jun-19 09:39:02

With my dad in 1973 !

vickya Sat 22-Jun-19 09:58:12

I loved seeing all the beautiful pictures. Glowing brides! I have no photo as we'd just promised to wait 6 months and sneaked off to a registry office and grabbed two witnesses, cleaners, from round the building. I wore an orange/red tent coat and they got me a chair in a hurry, but i didn't have first child for 4 years smile. I wanted to be able to sail with husband, who was in the merchant navy, and only wives could sail not gfs. I did sail a few months later. And I got married in the morning and started my first serious job in the afternoon! Had just finished my seccy course and began at the BBC External services. I went back there during husband's leaves.

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Jun-19 10:02:54

Ahead of the "Wedding" exhibition the V&A launched a database where ordinary people (such as me) uploaded wedding photos. We were encouraged to detail the dress, who had made it, what the others wore etc. It was fascinating.
I've just been looking for the link but only found an online article about it:
www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1285624/The-V-A-launched-database-wedding-fashion.html

Thought I'd email the V&A to see if it's still available.