Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Evening dress for overweight daughter

(44 Posts)
Daffydilly Sat 29-Jun-19 20:12:15

My gorgeous stepdaughter is coming on holiday with hubby and me later this year, along with my sis in law and another couple. We're cruising and there will be several formal evenings for which we all intend dressing up.

My stepdaughter is around 5 foot tall and at least a dress size 26. She's on a tight budget but wants to get a couple of nice dresses for formal wear. We have said we'll buy her a dress and she understandably want to look her best but is finding it extremely difficult to find something that looks nice on her.

I've said to emphasise her best features and that the most important thing is that she's comfortable but I'm at a loss to advise on actual style.

I'd love to take her shopping and have a girly day out, trying on etc but she lives at the other end of the country (UK) and we won't be able to get together until the holiday. She's sending me photos of her in dresses but it's clear they don't suit her and she's desperately unhappy. She's not a confident girl but is so lovely and doesn't realise how gorgeous she is.

She's quite lumpy and bumpy around the belly area which is the main problem.

Any advise?

Daffydilly Sat 29-Jun-19 20:13:22

Sorry, meant to say she's grown up, 27 years old.

merlotgran Sat 29-Jun-19 20:22:10

If the cruise is later on in the year could you, or someone else, possibly persuade her to sign up to WeightWatchers or Slimming World. Lots of people go on diets when they have a goal in sight like a holiday. Dropping a dress size would be a tremendous boost to her confidence.

Has to be tactfully approached of course.

Daffydilly Sat 29-Jun-19 20:28:09

Merlotgran, that's something we've discussed and she's currently doing the Cambridge diet. This worries me for obvious reasons. It's leaving her exhausted and hungry. Local weight loss groups conflict with her working hours, so always to be a non starter. Thank you for the advice.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Jun-19 20:31:58

Look at what Judy Dench wears for the evening, I know she isn’t very large but I think her style would be excellent. They are Indian style evening coat type things -google it. I know they are terribly expensive, but I was thinking of the design and gorgeous fabrics.

Jane10 Sat 29-Jun-19 20:32:07

Would the Dawn French website be worth a look? I can't remember the exact name of it. Something like 1467?
Or black trousers and vest top with a floaty kimono thing on top?

Jane10 Sat 29-Jun-19 20:33:10

Just checked its called 1647. Google it.

Jane10 Sat 29-Jun-19 20:35:33

Oh no it seems to have closed down. Sorry!

MiniMoon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:42:43

Try the Curvissa website. They have dresses for all occasions up to a size 36 I think.
SimplyBe , and Very do plus sizes too.

Hm999 Sat 29-Jun-19 20:42:52

Online, and it's really easy to returñ things.

Google Asos plus size evening dresses

I thought Tesco online sold other people's clothes.. I don't find their website easy to search.

Good luck! And enjoy your holiday

MiniMoon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:44:35

By the way, the beauty of buying online is you can try them on at home, and return what isn't suitable.

Lynnieg Sat 29-Jun-19 20:48:17

I'm short and round and I get lovely stuff from Simply Be. The best thing being that you can try things on at home and send them back if they're not suitable.
I also buy dresses/tops from here holyclothing.com
They have a very wide range of sizes. They come from India but delivery is quite fast and I've never paid customs charges.good

Your stepdaughter might fare better with a low carb Mediterranean diet. It's much better for health than the Cambridge Diet (and cheaper!)

Callistemon Sat 29-Jun-19 20:48:43

I really don't think that a dress is a necessity.

Nice trousers and a couple of gorgeous long tops would be better.

I really dislike dresses, never wear one, and I am not a size 26 by any means.

Don't try to force her to wear something she won't be happy in, and she's 27, not a child.

merlotgran Sat 29-Jun-19 20:54:06

Daffydilly, I can highly recommend WeightWatchers online. There are no meetings to attend and all the calorie counting (boring stuff) is worked out for you. The site has loads of recipes and support. There's an app for your phone so you can scan items in a supermarket whilst shopping and keep an eye on your daily allowance.

The problem with diets like the Cambridge diet is the weight tends to go back on eventually.

52bright Sat 29-Jun-19 20:55:38

It is not always easy to have a shopping day for someone in the bigger sizes. Even shops who do them don't always keep them in stock resulting in a frustrating day for a person already stressed about buying something attractive. I have been down this route with my daughter who has lost weight recently. Some places we tried were East [now not on the high st] Sahara Monsoon. M and S do bigger sizes but like Monsoon, were not always in stock so we had to get an idea in the shop then send online. I wouldn't attempt a shopping trip op, generous as you sound. It can be very frustrating for the person you are buying for. I would encourage a selection on line. Buy a couple of sizes in everything because on size 22 or whatever is not the same as another. This can make an expensive outlay until you have chosen what you want and sent the rest back. I used my credit card knowing that it wouldn't ultimately be hit to much after we had chosen and sent the rest back. Good luck op. Happy cruising to you and your Stepdaughter.

suzie20 Sat 29-Jun-19 20:56:14

How about Slimmimg World or Weight Watchers online if she would like to lose weight? No meetings to worry about but the same dietary advice and support.

kittylester Sat 29-Jun-19 21:33:10

I'm not slim though not quite as large. I'd go with nice trousers and tops.

Coolgran65 Sat 29-Jun-19 21:39:06

I'd go for soft trousers, tunic top in the same colour and a long floaty coat/shirt with sleeves. And push the sleeves up. A rubber band will hold the sleeves in place. Floaty will do for dress up evening and also great daytime holiday wear.

This is now I do it, including weddings.

MawBroonsback Sat 29-Jun-19 21:41:17

You might like to look at this label
www.box2.co.uk/

I believe they also have some shops

SalsaQueen Sat 29-Jun-19 21:42:55

I'm only 5ft 1 and wear size 20/22. I get some of my clothes from Simply Be, or Yours Clothing.

I did the Cambridge Diet a few years ago, lost 3st in 3 months, and felt really well all the time. I wasn't hungry at all. Needless to say, I put the weight back on. I did a similar diet called Exante, 2 1/2 years ago, and lost 3 st 10lbs in 3 months - again, put the weight back on. I realised that those diets don't teach any good eating habits, and so I joined Slimming World 3 weeks ago, and the weight is coming off slowly (7lbs) but I've stopped eating in between meals (if I fancy something, I have fruit), and I've drastically cut down on the amount of food I usually eat.

Daffydilly Sat 29-Jun-19 22:22:56

Thanks to you all for your advice, we now have a list of websites to investigate. She's eating healthily (Mediterranean sounds great) and is trying to stay out of the 'diet' mindset, as she's found it counter productive in the past.

Calistemon, I agree that a dress is not necessary, my stepdaughter wants a dress. I've suggested nice trousers and a top, that's good advice. I most definitely wouldn't force her to chose a dress, child or not.

tinaf1 Sat 29-Jun-19 22:49:07

I would recommend Yours clothing too

seacliff Sat 29-Jun-19 22:57:04

I am not that size, but I am big. I recently got this dress from Tu (Sainsburys) , and it's very flattering. I wore it with a gauzy long white open shirt. It was cool and comfortable, and I even got 25% off with one of their regular offers. Sadly the size you want seems to be out of stock at the moment, but may come back. Tu is worth a look.

tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Multicoloured-Animal-Print-Maxi-Dress/135629076-MultiColoured?searchTerm=maxi%20dress%20animal:newArrivals&searchProduct=

NotAGran55 Sun 30-Jun-19 08:06:10

www.masai.co.uk/dresses/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgIbEq9GQ4wIVKLftCh2a5QHMEAAYASACEgJ3BvD_BwE

Masai do some lovely prints and the cut of their clothes is very forgiving.

wildswan16 Sun 30-Jun-19 09:26:44

Just wanted to say how lovely it is that you are so supportive of your stepdaughter. I do hope she will find an outfit that she feels confident with. Have a wonderful cruise.