Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Allergic to eye make up

(36 Posts)
EllieB52 Fri 26-Jul-19 18:54:01

Has anyone else suddenly become allergic to their usual eye make up? I’m finding that my eyes are starting to itch and the skin is getting dry. I mainly use Bobbi Brown make up but find myself going “bare” more often than not - and it ain’t a good look! Any recommendations?

J52 Fri 26-Jul-19 19:07:25

I went through a phase of this and searched for Almay, but it seems they no longer do eye make up.
I only used Clinique mascara until it eventually subsided and the itching and redness stopped. About 6 months.
I can use most brands again now

jura2 Fri 26-Jul-19 19:09:51

I wear no make-up at all these days- as I seem to be allergic to most of them. Great!

annodomini Fri 26-Jul-19 20:14:58

I used to use Clinique hypo-allergenic eyeshadows and mascara. However, when I started having to wear glasses full time, I found I couldn't apply the make-up with them on or whithout them on and I've never really missed them. In my 20s, I was very partial to Arden's navy blue eyeliner! Any make-up or skin-care I use nowadays is not tested on animals - M&S own brands are good.

Nico97 Fri 26-Jul-19 20:54:59

Try swapping your eye make up for another brand. I suffered a couple of eye infections a few years back and found that by renewing my make up it seemed to do the trick. Apparently old eye make up is one of the worst contributors to problems like this. Of course, I'm not for one minute suggesting that you use old make up but if you're anything like me you will use a "favourite" for a long time without actually realising how long you've had it ?

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 20:57:05

Yes, over the last year I have given up any eye make up, so no eyeshadow, mascara or eyeliner at all now.
I could give Clinique a go, but very expensive if I buy it and it doesn’t work for me.
Actually, I hardly wear any make up now, just tinted moisturiser and a bit of lippy.

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 20:58:15

Nico I did buy new ones last year, just in case, but it made no difference.

Nico97 Fri 26-Jul-19 21:02:08

Ah that's a shame lemon but since I found out about it I always think it's worth a try before giving it up completely. I think it's one of those 'orrible ageing things sad

crazyH Fri 26-Jul-19 21:07:30

I never use eye make up - developed a rash all those years ago and I feel it has made my eyes look older than the rest of my face. I use glasses now, so I feel there's no point. Besides, it will only draw attention to my lines ?

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 21:10:58

Am now musing about trying Clinique products, it would be nice to be able to use some now and again.So, I may buy a mascara, as I miss that the most.

JoyBloggs Fri 26-Jul-19 21:48:23

I've had a problem with sore, itchy eyes after using eye make-up for about a year, so tend to reluctantly go without now. Wore some for a posh 'do' last weekend and my eyes are still complaining. I wear spex so when I do put eye make-up on and then put my spex on and look in the mirror I often look like a clown and have to start again! It's not that I've ever worn very much, but just a little can make such a difference and I'm pretty fed up about it. I keep trying different brands and will report back if I have any success. I'm considering having my eyelashes dyed but am a bit nervous in case it goes horribly wrong... has anybody here done this?

Nannarose Fri 26-Jul-19 22:12:03

Yes, this happened to me some years ago, and full marks to Lancome - I contacted them, they gave me a full refund and a voucher so that I could try their products again in the future. I'm sorry to say that I still can't use Lancome, but I give them a plug!
I now contact any eye make up brand I am thinking of using and ask for a sample - I have never been refused.
At the moment I can use Clinique, By Terry & Chantecaille.
If you are thinking of having lashes dyed, they will do a patch test. I am unable to have my lashes or eyebrows dyed.
An old trick of my mother's was to smear Vaseline on her forefinger and apply to her eyelashes - it clumps them together a bit so they look a little darker.

JoyBloggs Sat 27-Jul-19 08:56:31

Nannarose Thank you, will try the Vaseline trick. I was told I'd need a patch test for the eyelash dye, but so far have been too much of a wimp even to have that done - my eyes are so sensitive.

Teetime Sat 27-Jul-19 09:32:46

My daughter is allergic to most things so sticks to Clinique for everything with no problems at all as long as eye shadow doesn't have glitter in it.

EllieB52 Sat 27-Jul-19 09:33:33

From replies it seems clear that skin becomes more sensitive as we age. I will look for alternative brands. I thought about how long I’ve had my current make up and it’s years! Why throw something away if it hasn’t been used up? Beginning to see why now. I feel a clear out coming on. I am very light skinned with colourless eyelashes and brows so I need the lift I get from some enhancement otherwise I look ill.

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 09:25:46

I have had problems with some eye make up since my 20s and had to stop wearing contact lenses in my 50s because I became allergic first to the lubricating liquids and then the lenses themselves.

I now use powder eyeshadows and use organic cosmetic and skincare products. I use Lavera mascara and foundation, I do not use eyeliner, and my moisteriser comes from Pure Nuff Stuff. I have to include foundation and moisteriser because they go near my eyes. All are bought online.

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 09:27:15

I cannot use standard make-up brands because they all include preservatives, usually parabens, and these are the cause of some of my allergies.

Nannarose Sun 28-Jul-19 10:09:01

M0nica - Odylique don't use parabens. I love their stuff, but the mascara is not long-lasting, and as I can use Clinique long-lasting, I use that.
I use a lot of other Odylique stuff though

M0nica Sun 28-Jul-19 10:54:52

Nannarose thanks for the recommendation, I will look at their site.

Squiffy Sun 28-Jul-19 11:35:07

I react to all types of makeup, so only use mineral eye products and face powders. Oddly enough, although I rarely wear mascara, I’ve found the cheaper makes (including Wilko’s waterproof mascara and Rimmel) better than the more expensive brands!

Alexa Sun 28-Jul-19 11:38:50

The only ones I can tolerate are good old Panstick, and Rimmel kagal pencils. I had to stop using any moisturiser on eyelids. Lanoline seems to be quite a common allergenic.

For dry eyes, it's best to use single use eye drops as those contain no presrvative.

Grannycool52 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:59:40

All I can use now are Boots tinted moisturiser and a little lipstick. Anything else causes irritation. I will try Clinique now. Thank you for the suggestions, ladies.

Alexa Mon 29-Jul-19 11:12:03

Yes, but Clinique what? I need cover for reddish eyelids. I'd also like something more up to date than Kagal pencil , for above my eyelashes.

I do like Panstick for concealing as I find it does not irritate. But Panstick is not quite the right colour for eyelids.

leyla Mon 29-Jul-19 11:26:35

I have suffered with this problem for approx 10yrs. Eyes v sensitive. I never buy without trying first. Amazingly, Aldi eye moisturiser, pencil and mascara are ok for me!

jaylucy Mon 29-Jul-19 11:40:23

You could be suffering from a mild form of blepheritis or even dry eyes. If you are due for a sight test, mention it to your optician and they will advise. Even try over the counter eye drops for dry eyes.
Cosmetic companies are constantly changing their recipes - the current trend for long lasting make up has caused quite a few problems. I'd email Bobbi Brown and explain the problems you have been having or the alternative is to try other brands. I personally like Bare Minerals make up. They do a primer for makeup that covers any redness on eyelids - you only need a tiny bit!