Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Solid shampoo - have you tried ?

(94 Posts)
jura2 Fri 16-Aug-19 14:59:03

Hope we are all trying to do our bit against waste, and plastic waste even more so.

So have you tried solid shampoo? It could save 1000s and 1000s of plastic bottles (so could going back to bar soap too). Any comments or experiences to share, recommendations?

Thanks

SirChenjin Fri 16-Aug-19 15:04:53

DH uses one from Lush - the blue one with sea kelp. He swears by it and his hair does feel very soft. I'm afraid I'm sticking with my purple shampoo to keep my highlights in check but have countered that with a move back to bar soap which I much prefer to shower gels.

boheminan Fri 16-Aug-19 15:08:21

I also use any Lush shampoo bar. It's a bit expensive but goes a long way....

GillT57 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:13:05

Not yet, although considering it once I know the implications for my coloured hair. We have switched to bar soap in the handbasins and shower though.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Aug-19 15:31:14

Daughter uses Lush solid shampoo and conditioner, she has highlighted hair and it’s fine.

Parsley3 Fri 16-Aug-19 16:09:21

I use Lush solid purple conditioner and it is ok. I will try the solid shampoo when I have used up all the bottles I have already. I use bars of soap for hand washing and showering and there is something very satisfying about using up the last little bit of soap and knowing there is nothing to throw away.

GillT57 Fri 16-Aug-19 16:11:40

Thanks GG13 will give that a try.

silverlining48 Fri 16-Aug-19 16:16:28

I have used solid shampoo and conditioner from Lush though didn’t use it often so kept forgetting which colour was which but it was fine. I went back to bottles, but solid is very practical as well as sensible plastic wise and you can take it on a plane as carry on.
Am also using solid soap.

MawB Fri 16-Aug-19 17:01:55

I’ve been using Lush solid shampoo for years and years! Nothing new!

Greyduster Fri 16-Aug-19 17:20:32

My DD uses Lush shampoo bars, and likes them. I brought her back some solid shampoo bars and soaps from a place in Sheringham. They smelled gorgeous and she says they are nice to use - wish I had bought myself some! I use Italian olive oil soap bars which are wonderful and last ages, even using them a few times a day. They don’t get rid of wrinkles though!?

JackyB Fri 16-Aug-19 17:39:23

I have bought one but not used it yet. I am using up the bottles first, but I thought it would be handy if I had to go on a flight and only needed to take hand luggage.

bumblebee34 Fri 16-Aug-19 17:39:59

I use solid shampoo and conditioning bars with no problem. Also use soap instead of shower gel or hand wash although I do still put those out for anyone who prefers it. It is always the refillable natural ones though, bought from our local Reco store, as well as washing up liquid, washing powder (without fillers so you use much less) and lots of other eco friendly cleaning products as well as dried foods, spices etc. Also the natural Fitpit deodorant cream is amazing, it works really well and the woman in the shop says she can’t sell enough of it. These stores are becoming more popular round our area now.

shysal Fri 16-Aug-19 18:05:41

I always use Dove 'soap' or cream bar as they call it, which is fine for my slightly oily skin. However, I tried a shampoo bar last year, don't remember the brand but not cheap, which left my hair looking and feeling like straw. Perhaps I should try the Lush one as others like it.

Calendargirl Fri 16-Aug-19 19:23:36

Parsley3

You say you always use up the last bit of solid soap. I’m intrigued as I always end up with bits of soap too small to be of use. I put them in my knicker drawer to make them smell nice, but most of the nice smell has gone. So I end up with lots of rock hard bullets of old perfume less soap.?

Slowcookervegan Fri 16-Aug-19 19:26:48

I get mine off Amazon used it for years.

annep1 Fri 16-Aug-19 20:27:37

Good idea. I think I'll investigate this.

BBbevan Fri 16-Aug-19 20:41:27

I have had some from Lush and some I bought from ebay. I will stick to Lush as it made my hair squeaky clean and shiny. The other sort of left a heavy residue, though I did rinse my hair very well. I like the idea of them and will continue to try different ones. Just out of curiosity.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Aug-19 20:45:51

I've been using one from eBay (lavender) for ages.
I've got horrible hair, so can't say anything other than it smells nice.
I've always used bar soap, because I'm too tight to pay out for shower gel.

SueDonim Fri 16-Aug-19 21:50:40

I've been using solid shampoo & conditioner for a few years now. They're as good as the usual products. I never stopped buying bar soap for bathrooms.

A friend is formulating a new shampoo bar with no sulfates or palm oil. I'm hoping to be asked to trial it!

mcem Fri 16-Aug-19 22:04:10

Much as I'd like to try the Lush products, I don't think I could hold my breath long enough to complete the buying process!
Absolutely overwhelmed by the smell!

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Aug-19 22:04:51

Friendly shampoo bars are very good, only around £2.60, and they last for ages. No palm oil or sulphates in them. Their soap bars are nice too, but I find they don’t last as long as I’d like.

I’ve always used bar soap. I absolutely love the almond Dr Bronner my DD2 buys, but was so disappointed to find it comes from the US, which rather defeats the object of buying ethical!

pensionpat Fri 16-Aug-19 22:07:29

People used to put all the bits of soap together and heat it to melt, and then create a new bar, using a mould. Would be less messy in a microwave.

SueDonim Fri 16-Aug-19 22:11:03

Mcem Lush sells online!

Parsley3 Fri 16-Aug-19 22:12:17

Calendargirl, I just keep using the soap till it disappears by taking the bits into the shower and lathering up my sponge.
I am going to have a look for Friendly soap now as I am also put off by the strong smell in Lush shops.

Xrgran Fri 16-Aug-19 22:12:59

Waitrose have just started selling one that’s really good.

I use deodorant in a round tin it’s called clay cure and is fantastic no nasty chemicals and lasts for days very handy when you are travelling or can’t shower!