Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I've got the hair, but not the face!

(38 Posts)
phoenix Sat 31-Aug-19 17:41:05

Hello all, sending good wishes to those that could do with them.

Well, just back from the haidressers, and I now have a cut more like Judy Dench smile

Although my hair has been short for ages, until today it was short at the back and sides, but I was letting it get longer on top.

I wanted a change, so went for it!

My hair grows like a weed, even my hairdresser says she has never known hair grow so fast, so if I decide to change it, it won't take long.

On the other hand, if I decide to keep it like this, I could be getting it cut pretty frequently!

Liz46 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:00:30

I like Judy Dench's hair. I wish mine could be like that but it is very fine. She's good for her age isn't she. Sheila Hancock is great too - in her eighties and bright as a button.

M0nica Sat 31-Aug-19 18:02:09

Liz46, your comment about Sheila Hancock, could almost be considered ageist. Why should it be remarkable that she is active and entirely with it in her 80s?

phoenix Sat 31-Aug-19 18:10:46

Nothing ageist imo M0nica , some people in their 80's are not active or bright as a button, you only have to read some of the threads/posts on here about parents of that she to see that!

EllanVannin Sat 31-Aug-19 18:11:47

Because some people in their 60's let alone 80's are dead from the neck down, M0nica.

In fact you can go younger than 60's judging what I see around and about.

Luckygirl Sat 31-Aug-19 18:17:36

I have nipple-length hair and every now and again threaten myself with the idea of hacking it all off; but I hate being dependent on hairdressers' whims and idiosyncrasies. Whenever I have been to a hairdresser, I come back and wash my hair and try to get it to look remotely as I wish it to. At least with this mop I can tie it up, plait it etc. in moments and then forget about it.

I am sure that you look very sophisticated phoenix. I salute your bravery! smile

Liz46 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:23:25

MOnica, please stop being so picky. I was complimenting Sheila Hancock. This country has gone too far with political correctness.

phoenix Sat 31-Aug-19 18:27:04

Luckgirl I went from almost waist length, to shoulder length, then short, in theory low maintenance! However, more frequent visits to the salon might disprove that grin But stopping colouring sort of counter balances that.

Sometimes I think I would love long hair again (be great just to plait it and let it hang!) but the growing out puts me off.

PS "Sophisticated"!!!! Not me!

MiniMoon Sat 31-Aug-19 19:40:49

I have short hair in a sort of pixie cut. It's getting a bit shaggy so on Tuesday I'm having it cut. I'm going to try to convince my hairdresser to cut it like Jamie Lee Curtis, or maybe shorter.
As I get older I have less and less patience with doing my hair. If my fringe touches my eyebrows I can't stand it!?

GabriellaG54 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:02:10

Ahhh! ?? but where are your nipples, Luckygirl ?
Under your chin or nearer your knees?
We don't know how long your hair is until you're more specific ???

phoenix Sat 31-Aug-19 20:18:55

MiniMoon my fringe hasn't touched my eyebrows for years!

As my hair grew after my "Brave the Shave" for MacMillan, it reached a sort Jamie Lee Curtis stage, which I loved, so go for it!

GabriellaG54 grin

Ailsa43 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:40:29

hahaha Gabrielle that made me laugh out loud!!

Ailsa43 Sat 31-Aug-19 23:41:02

sorry that should have said GabriellaG54

BradfordLass72 Sun 01-Sep-19 06:40:02

Luckygirl

I have nipple-length hair

Blimey, have you really measured your nips? I knew blokes got a bit precious about the length of their willies but I thought we women were a bit more secure.

The last time I went to a hairdresser it was to have my head shaved and that was in March 2017 and almost immediately the summer weather vanished. By Jingoes it was cold.

Unlike phoenix's locks mine grow extremely slowly and it was a full year before I had the Judi Dench look (sans visage jolie)

Grannyknot Sun 01-Sep-19 08:08:24

And when I read "nipple-length" hair I imagined the length of an actual nipple (i.e. mostly very short). I get it now.

grin

Luckygirl Sun 01-Sep-19 08:49:49

I can assure you that my nipples are right where they should be and pert as can be! grin

I like the idea of hair the length of a nipple - I had not thought of it like that.

sallyc06 Sun 01-Sep-19 09:26:05

Sounds lovely, embrace it. I had a Darcy Bussell last time!

HettyMaud Sun 01-Sep-19 09:34:42

My hair has become very thin due to stress. Does anyone know of any remedies as it's concerning me which only adds to the stress.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 01-Sep-19 09:37:21

I also have my hair cut in a Judy D style and it really needs doing every 4 weeks, but I now give my myself a trim after 4 weeks and then go to the hairdressers say 3 weeks on. Its grows so quickly that if I make a mistake well its not for long.

Witchypoo Sun 01-Sep-19 10:09:57

Braved the shave from just past shoulder length. Cant decide whether to keep short or grow again. Mine grows quite fast as well so it is going to be quite a hair cut if i decide short. Winter coming so no need for hat if kept long

KatyK Sun 01-Sep-19 10:15:05

HettyMaud If you search Gransnet you will find a few threads on hair loss/tips for thinning hair. Many of us have this problem, including me - I have alopecia -total hair loss.

Lazigirl Sun 01-Sep-19 10:24:40

I'd love some pics of these inspiring hair styles so can see what you're on about. My imagination's going overboard on the nipple length to spikey.......am jealous of the Judy Dench look, my hair's too fine.

Beejo Sun 01-Sep-19 10:31:36

HettyMaud I don't have the answer I'm afraid but I'm in the same boat.
I've noticed recently that my hair, which is thinning anyway, drops a lot more if I've been stressed.
Trying to be calm, which can be a real battle!

4allweknow Sun 01-Sep-19 10:53:27

With the fuss about Sheila Hancock being bright as a button and the resultant political correctness comment has anyone learned where the phrase political correctness originated. In case you haven't, its the old USSR. The politics of the day dictated what people were allowed to think and say. If you had a proven fact eg tides come and but the government didn't agree, even though a well established fact, then your fact was not politically correct. Through time we have adopted, manipulated this approach to accommodate just about everything. Someone in their 80s and very mentally and physically active being referred to as a bright button surely isn't ageism. Would commenting on an 18 month old who hasn't taken to walking therefore not doing what others their age generally do as being slow, therefore ageist. There is a real world out there a d we should acknowkedge the facts and evidence around us.

FC61 Sun 01-Sep-19 12:19:27

Wow you are a luckygirl then! My hair is also nipple length and let’s just say it’s very long ??? !!!