Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Help... I need a hairpiece/wig

(32 Posts)
Poppyred Sun 29-Sep-19 17:16:40

I keep putting it off but I can’t any longer. Has anyone any personal experience of this or recommend a good shop in the North Wales/Liverpool area?

blondenana Mon 30-Sep-19 19:19:56

Poppyred i am in the sam boat,i have to see a dermatologist tomorrow to hopefully find out what is causing my sudden hair loss, taking all kinds of vitamins and viviscal and nothing seems to be working
I have been looking at toppers, but even they are very expensive,
Do you need a whole wig? or would a topper be ok for you?
I'm sorry it doesn't answer your question, have you tried googling places in your area, but hopefully someone might come here who can recommemd somewhere
Good luck

Poppyred Mon 30-Sep-19 21:46:50

A small topper would do the trick I think as the crown is my problem area - have plenty of hair everywhere else.

Poppyred Wed 02-Oct-19 19:23:57

How did you get on at the Dermatologist’s Blondenana?

blondenana Wed 02-Oct-19 22:57:25

Hi Poopyred i am very pleased with what he said,that it is stress related, which i thought it might be,had a very stressful 2 years with a relationship breauk in the mix,plus my little dog died of dementia a few weeks ago,which was a shock as i had just taken her for a checkup, and the vet said her organs were shutting down,had her for one more night, and had to take her the next day,she had gone completely blind and was panicking,it has broken my heart, can't believe it happened so suddenly
Anyway back to the hair
The dermatologist sad it isn't the normal pattern for female hair loss,it is Telogen Effluvium, and will grow back,[wish i knew when[ he examined a hair under a microscope and gave me some strong steroid lotion, had some before but not as strong,as my scalp gets itchy
I had blood tests a few weeks ago which came back normal, but he wants different ones
He did ask if i had been ill as illness can cause hair loss,i said no, but i had forgotten i had shngles a year last february
At least now i feel more cheeful that i might get my own hair back
I have had to really persevere as i have seen 4 Drs already, then discovered one of ours was a dermatologist
Is there any chance you could get your hair back?
Sorry forgot what you said in your post
Have you looked into seeing a dermatologist,or Trichologist
I have been getting some advice from a Trichologist in Wales. although too far for me to see her
I could pass details on to you if you are interested

blondenana Wed 02-Oct-19 22:58:48

Oops sorry should say Poppyred*

crazyH Wed 02-Oct-19 23:06:05

Poppyred, I had the same problem - two bald patches in the crown. If it's any consolation, it did grow back. The Drematologist said it was Alopaecia Areata. In the meanwhile, I bought something on line which is a spray that matches your hair colour, which you spray on the patch and believe me , it covers the patch and blends in with your hair. I have forgotten the name, but check on line. Good luck !

Poppyred Thu 03-Oct-19 10:44:43

Thanks CrazyH - I will google it. I’m already using Toppik which does help a lot.

blondenana - I love my new name ?? Good news on the whole then, I hope your hair grows back very soon and I’m so sorry about your little dog - so sad.

I would be grateful of Trichologist details.

blondenana Fri 04-Oct-19 15:14:05

Hi Poppyred thank you re my little dog
I have got some topik, but don't like it,it's no good if there is no hair for it to cling to,and it makes my hair feel dirty
I will find that lady's details,i will have to look through my emails, but i will do it asap,
It might be tonight or in the morning, as i can't remenber the name offhand

blondenana Fri 04-Oct-19 15:24:43

CrazyH how long did it take for your hair to grow back?
I am hoping mine will grow back at least start to before Christmas, but not holding my breath
Did you have any help, with treatments etc?

blondenana Sat 05-Oct-19 12:04:17

Poppyred not been able to find my email from that lady, but i will let you know when i hear from her, she has a website but can't remember the name, but i wont forget

Poppyred Sat 05-Oct-19 21:19:31

Thanks Blondenana x

blondenana Mon 07-Oct-19 12:03:11

Poppyred i have sent you a PM

silverlining48 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:09:01

A friend has seen a tricologist. She had ferratin checked by blood test, I think at the surgery. Might be a start.

dragonfly46 Mon 07-Oct-19 13:17:10

I am looking at wigs as I am shortly to have chemo. The best ones come from Trendco - they are expensive but very good. I believe they have branches everywhere.

blondenana Mon 07-Oct-19 15:56:26

Not sure if the message re ferritin is to me or poppyred, but i have ferritin checked regularly, as i have Haemochromatosis and had thyroid checked too, but saw dermatologist last monday and had another blood test today
My daughter said yesterday that she could see new blck hairs appearing,she took a photo with her phone and i can see some black hair at the roots, which is my natural colour,[well dark brown]

Poppyred Mon 07-Oct-19 16:45:48

Thanks blondenana - just read your message.

Luckygirl Mon 07-Oct-19 16:55:04

The Zimbabwean carer who was with us for a while had really scrappy hair that would not grow. She had the most fabulous wig and she looked wonderful in it. She said she had paid about £200 for it. Worth every penny as it was brilliant.

She made me laugh one day when she set off on a walk, then came back two minutes later saying: "I forgot my hair!!"

Some wigs are wonderful - hope you find the right one for you.

Welshwife Mon 07-Oct-19 18:44:16

I had chemo starting about a year ago - my hair fell out completely - I went to hair loss clinic (in France) and bought a wig which was suitable for chemo patients. The base fabric is a kinder to the scalp one. My hair is grey so there is only the option of a man made fibre one. The wig was not cheap- €700 - but I wore it only a few times as it was so uncomfortable and ‘rode’ up so to speak - I was very self conscious although the wig looked very similar to my own hair. I wore a stockette cap underneath the wig but maybe should also have tried the double sided sellotape stuff.
I had a number of turban like hats which I wore all the time.
My hair has now regrown and is the same colour but extremely curly - a whole new experience.
Not all chemo causes hair loss - I had two types but only one caused loss. Good luck with your treatment

blondenana Mon 07-Oct-19 19:30:51

dragonfly hope a;ll goes well for you, i don't need a full wig but i was looking at toppers,the price i was quoted was 379, which seems expensive to me,
I went to see someone and she said around £200=£250, but then said £379, which i cant sfford at the moment,
I am hoping to have my hair back by Christmas,or some of it at least
I have heard of peoples hair growing back curly,

blondenana Mon 07-Oct-19 19:32:59

Poppyred i hope it is some use to you, there are a few hair clinics so may be a franchise, there is one in Cardiff i saw while searching

silverlining48 Tue 08-Oct-19 12:35:53

My mention of ferritin was was just a general remark blondnana. My friend said it was important in diagnosis/ treatment when hair is thin.

Kerenhappuch Tue 08-Oct-19 12:44:00

I've had telogen effluvium several times after high temperatures. It seems to take ages to grow back, but all of a sudden I noticed new hair growing around my hairline, then after a couple of months my hair had thickened up a lot.

I never got to the point of needing a wig, but I think some hairdressers advise on wigs. I think it's well worth doing for the psychological boost.

blondenana Tue 08-Oct-19 15:22:48

silverlinig48 i thought it might be just a general remark, but could have been meant for anyone ,it's fine, just thought i would say that mine is checked regularly, and i have let it get higher on purpose to see if it made any difference, as my consultant said it was in range, but that could still be lower end
My daughter looked at it a couple of days ago and said it looks to be sprouting black hairs

Fennel Tue 08-Oct-19 16:29:17

If you want to risk buying online, I've bought 2 wigs from Lightinthebox. They're very cheap, I think it's a chinese business.
Very good value for money. They do hair pieces too.