Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I’m thoroughly ashamed of myself but.....

(42 Posts)
suziewoozie Fri 18-Oct-19 20:25:04

I really have lost patience with Cathy Newman’s dress sense. The jumper tonight is the last straw ?

harrigran Sat 19-Oct-19 08:31:55

Never watch live TV. We record any programme we like the sound of and watch ata time convenient to us.
Do not watch news. Get any updates online.

DanniRae Sat 19-Oct-19 08:45:00

I don't watch the news. I have a newspaper every day except Sunday.

BlueSapphire Sat 19-Oct-19 08:49:11

Don't watch the news either, too much gloom and doom. Do have a daily newspaper, so I can choose what news I want to read. Sometimes have a quick glance through the BBC news app.

ninathenana Sat 19-Oct-19 09:17:05

We watch the BBC news at 6pm and DH likes to go for a walk to buy a daily paper. That's enough for us.
We certainly wouldn't watch three or four different channels plus radio

Iam64 Sat 19-Oct-19 09:20:23

Channel 4 news is the one I try to watch every evening. It's comprehensive in its coverage. They have great journalists and don't let politicians off the hook to easily. It's a proper news report, wide and more in-depth coverage than the BBC seem to manage now they have 24 hour news.

I like Cathy Newman's interview techniques. I've long suspected she has some kind of deal with Ted Baker, as many of her dresses, skirts and blouses are TB. I didn't see her jumper though

Just to show how shallow I am, despite my comments about full journalistic coverage - I also watch Jon Snow's socks n ties. Always colourful and often matching.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Oct-19 09:25:31

I don’t watch different channels on the same day - I watch one main news in the evening - never during the day - most often C4 but sometimes BBC or ITV depending on what else I’m doing. The only time I watch daytime TV is when I’m ill in bed and I watch ITV3 then with reruns of Morse, Poirot and Midsomer Murders. However I will be dipping into BBC Parliament during today

suziewoozie Sat 19-Oct-19 09:29:31

You missed a ‘treat’ Iam - it was truly truly ?????

annsixty Sat 19-Oct-19 09:40:02

I remember many years ago going to a pub near Manchester for an evening meal and one of the ,then Granada, news readers was at the next table eating.
He still had on a very smart jacket, shirt and bow tie, it may have been a dinner jacket.
When he stood up to leave he had very ordinary , everyday trousers on.
It was all for 'over the desk show".

Millie22 Sat 19-Oct-19 10:03:08

Looks to me like she's got a mushroom on her shoulder.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Oct-19 10:23:38

The other shoulder is a camel I think

Missfoodlove Sat 19-Oct-19 10:29:18

Was she wearing it for a dare?

Sallywally1 Sun 03-Nov-19 14:10:20

Whilst I would agree that the jumper is in questionable taste why is is that women in the public eye are judged far more harshly than their male counterparts in matters of the cloth and indeed appearance in general, than their male counterparts

BlueBelle Sun 03-Nov-19 14:26:14

I don’t like the jumper but it doesn’t particularly upset me I do know this news reader but never bothered really to know her name don’t expect I ll remember it by next week ?I watch whatever news is around if I ve missed them I ll pop over to Sky news but to be honest I rarely bother to remember the names of any of the presenters except the very well known ones
I think from what I ve seen she’s a good interviewer

glammanana Sun 03-Nov-19 14:27:05

Surely it is her choice and under the instruction of the dressing dept they know what colours project well on screen.
Why would it bother anyone what she wears she is broadcasting the news not walking in a fashion show.

Winniewit Wed 15-Jan-20 02:25:05

I remember Nagga Munchetty wearing a top with eyeballs all over it. Truly weird.

GagaJo Wed 15-Jan-20 05:18:36

I'm oblivious to what newsreaders wear. My bloke, however, frequently comments and is critical. Which frankly, is is rich coming from him with his lack of sartorial sense.