Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

When wearing makeup becomes important

(97 Posts)
giulia Fri 01-Nov-19 06:41:37

J have recently stopped tinting my hair as I have a scalp problem (psoriasis).

Am getting used to the new me, The new me who is almost white all over now.

I have decided that, in order to still look goo, and not just older than before, I really need to UP my makeup and wear foundation, blusher and lipstick. I also accentuate my eyebrows more.

Many of you on Gransnet declare they cannot be bothered with makeup any more, whereas I, personally, am finding it to be ever more important.

giulia Fri 01-Nov-19 06:42:23

... look good!

MawB Fri 01-Nov-19 07:28:58

Absolutely! You must do whatever makes you feel best - and if looking good lifts your spirits go for it!
Obviously your choice of products will be important, but if you feel good, you will look good. Am I right in thinking you live in Italy? Both the women and men look so stylish, it must be in the genes!
(My 37 year old D suffers from Psoriatic Arthritis, it breaks my heart, but she always looks fantastic -OK I am biased! Her hairstyle hides the psoriasis on her forehead and while I know she has patches elsewhere she seems to manage to hide them well enough)

travelsafar Fri 01-Nov-19 07:48:19

I agree a little skillful applied make up can work wonders. Only last week an friend commented on the fact i was wearing lipstick and she said how it made such a difference and lifted my face!!! If only it were that simple!!!!smile

BlueSapphire Fri 01-Nov-19 07:50:46

Of course you want to make the best of yourself, doesn't everyone?
You may have to think about updating your make-up now you have stopped colouring your hair.
I would not even go out to the postbox without at least foundation /tinted moisturiser and lipstick!

Marydoll Fri 01-Nov-19 08:02:47

I totally agree, giulia. Go for it!! For me it's a confidence booster.
Without make up, I look ill ( fair eyelashes and eyebrows), and when I'm ill I need it even more. grin

Years ago, my neighbour phoned an ambulance, as she had chest pain. The paramedics arrived and thought I was the patient, as I was chalk white, having no make up on! ?

Recently my nephew saw me without any make up and told his mum he was shocked at how unwell I looked.
It's a barometer of how I'm feeling. When I don't wear it, my family know that things are not good.
You would never know I suffered ill health, as I always try to make an effort and look my best. It makes me feel better too. .

There are lots of good Italian cosmetic companies to choose from, I always stock up when I'm in Rome.

A few years ago, I popped into the IT make up shop in Rome and the assistant offered me a make over. I refused, as I get embarrassed at that kind of thing. DH insisted!
Well, I didn't recognise myself. The make up was very subtle, but it was fabulous. I kept checking my appearance in shop windows! grin.
She did achieve what she set out to do. I spent a fortune. ?

Buffybee Fri 01-Nov-19 08:19:10

Good idea to review your makeup now you have a different hair colour.
Personally, I wouldn't leave the house without at least a dusting of bronzer and tinted lip gloss, in fact even if not going out.
If I'm going out for lunch, I'll add a little foundation first and a soft grey eyeliner.
For evening, I would wear the above but add subtle eye shadow and mascara.
When I go out with my Granddaughters, they often tell me that I look lovely and I wink and whisper, "makeup!".

Loislovesstewie Fri 01-Nov-19 08:30:18

Like you I am going grey, I still use make-up because it stops me looking pasty and washed out. I also feel better in myself. Carry on doing what makes you happy.

dragonfly46 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:31:00

I too am a fan of makeup although it has lessened over the years. I never go out without foundation, mascara, blusher and lipstick.

Teetime Fri 01-Nov-19 09:15:32

Me too definitely a make up fan but it changes as we age and more subtlety is required. Go for it - be the person you want to be.

Lona Fri 01-Nov-19 09:22:20

Marydoll, you made me chuckle. I've always looked like a corpse without makeup. Never go out without it, even to the bins grin

Roses Fri 01-Nov-19 09:27:23

Never go out without makeup even when walking the dog,however yesterday I was outside Aldi at five to eight to get two giant sloth toys for my granddaughters with a naked face. Couldn't wait to get home in case I saw someone I knew!

Pantglas2 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:09:27

Since I went gunmetal (my dad’s description) I need the definition on eyes and lip to avoid looking washed out. I try to have one or two days a week with no cosmetics but usually when I’m not going out of the house.

I do like the whole palaver of putting my face on and making myself presentable and am lucky that I don’t have to style my hair, just pull a comb through and leave it to dry on its own.

Pudding123 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:36:08

I go out walking most mornings but still put lip gloss on.,no make up if I am not going anywhere but I wouldn't go out without concealer ( to cover my freckles, age spots call them what you will) If I could tell my younger self one think it would be do not go in the sun!I always use mascara (very long lashes thanks to using revitalash)blusher and lipstick .

optimist Fri 01-Nov-19 10:41:14

Well I wear just a little make up. But when my nine year old saw me putting on eye make up she was astounded. "An old woman wearing make up. Gross" she said. I ignored her. By the way she is not a girly girl I can not imagine her wearing make up, nor do her parents.

optimist Fri 01-Nov-19 10:41:44

nine year old GRANDCHILD

Anthea1948 Fri 01-Nov-19 10:46:40

I've never worn make up except on special occasions and I have no intention of starting now - oh, except when I had my hair cut really short, I seem to remember I wore it occasionally then.
I think you should wear it for you, not to please anybody else, and if yit makes you feel good, then go for it.
I've just read through the posts on this page and realised I'm really the odd one out for not wearing make up :-(

whywhywhy Fri 01-Nov-19 10:46:57

I have worn makeup since I was 14 and I don't intend to give it up! I love to experiment and have been complimented on it in the past. If it put on carefully and not trowelled on then it always looks good. I have lovely skin for my age as I have always cleansed, toned and moisturised and it have stay young and fresh. Forget these people who "brag" that they have never worn make up - well good for them!

paintingthetownred Fri 01-Nov-19 10:50:15

I feel make up only becomes a problem if you start feeling as if it is obligatory.

It can be a lovely treat. Part of looking after your skin, particularly if you have a skin care routine.

I fall down on this a lot. I like make up but often find it is the last priority. Things will change again I hope

painting

Authoress Fri 01-Nov-19 10:55:00

Anthea, I've never worn the stuff either - and can't imagine why it would make me feel good - but each to their own!

jaylucy Fri 01-Nov-19 10:55:09

Only wear make up if going out , where I used to wear it every day whatever I was doing.
Now it is foundation (or sometimes just concealer) mainly to cover the broken veins, a bit of blusher, mascara and lipgloss.
I used to have my hair highlighted but since I have more grey I haven't bothered - being strawberry blonde, the grey just looks like highlights anyway!
As you get older, I think less is more with make up and a change of colours for your foundation and blusher as well as change of texture, hold fast on the powder!

schnackie Fri 01-Nov-19 10:58:00

I'm with painting. I love the idea of make-up, and often find myself buying inexpensive items impulsively, but except for lip colour (which I find essential or no one will see me coming) I never actually wear it! I was almost on my way out of the house for a nice pub lunch on Sunday, and suddenly realised that this was an opportunity to wear some make-up! So I put on some eye shadow and blush. What a difference!

LondonGranny Fri 01-Nov-19 10:58:01

I can't remember the last time I wore make-up but I didn't wear it much when I was younger either. This might be a reaction to my sister who won't bring the milk in unless she's 'got her face on'. I think she feels insecure without it.

I have changed my style a fair bit now I'm older though. I chose my clothes on how practical they were for work. Now I please myself. Scarves are my make-up, I suppose. Today I have a long floaty one (two metres long) with a bird and feather print in shades of blue that tones well with what I'm wearing.

MarciaB Fri 01-Nov-19 11:00:57

If you look good you feel good. Try a trip to a Department store that does free make up sessions they will make advise you on the colours that compliment you new hair colour.

Theoddbird Fri 01-Nov-19 11:02:33

I softened my makeup when I decided to go grey. Experiment.