Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Bon Marche in trouble!

(28 Posts)
grannyticktock Sat 02-Nov-19 13:35:01

.... where will I get my jeans?
Seriously, the only jeans that fit me are Bon Marche ones with a bit of elastic at the side of the waist. If the stores close, as seems quite possible, where can I find similar jeans? I tried my local store so that I could buy an extra pair to keep in reserve, but they didn't have the size and colour I want.

MawB Sat 02-Nov-19 13:56:57

Me too!
After what I have spent on jeans from them this year alone I am amazed their profits aren’t soaring.

The question is, can I afford to prop them up single handed?
Come on ladies, all together now!
PS I buy them on line to be sure of the size.

lemongrove Sat 02-Nov-19 14:11:05

Haven’t bought anything in a Bon Marche store, are they very good? Well, sounds as if they may be closing down, so a bit late for me.

Charleygirl5 Sat 02-Nov-19 14:11:45

OMG this is the first I have heard they are in trouble.

Liz46 Sat 02-Nov-19 14:22:17

I miss BHS. Their bras fitted me well so, when I heard they were closing, I visited as many branches as I could and stocked up! My supply has run out now so I went for a fitting elsewhere but the replacements are not as good.

mcem Sat 02-Nov-19 14:27:07

Noticed Clearance Sale signs in the window of the local branch yesterday.
Not a shop I used much. Until recently I did like their underwear but the only other things I bought there were 'old lady' blouses and cardigans for my late mum.

LondonGranny Sat 02-Nov-19 14:28:54

They closed their flagship shop in South London many years ago (the first purpose built department store in the UK). They've been in trouble for a long time, the early 1980s if I remember right. I think that's when an American tobacco company bought them up.

boodymum67 Sat 02-Nov-19 14:34:59

They serve ladies from around 50.....

But they do make us older ladies feel as if we are trying to look younger! Their clothes are good quality, affordable prices and varied.

I bought a ring there recently and wear it as a wedding ring, as my original one is too tight.

People are fooled into thinking it`s gold with a real diamond...and only £6!

I will miss them if they go

Calendargirl Sat 02-Nov-19 14:35:52

Liz46

I too miss BHS for bras. I liked their plain white cotton ones, no underwiring or padding. M&S now, but not a patch on my old ones, and a lot more expensive.

glammanana Sat 02-Nov-19 15:48:08

I just don't know what I will do when they close down in our town centre.
Their jeans and jeggings are the best fit I have ever found they have just the right amount of stretch and don't have that mid tummy rise that you find with some jeans they fit the tummy so well and come in really good colours,light blue through to black.Such a disappointment.
I still have some of the David Emmanuel tops I bought when he was designing for them they always look good for that special evening out sadly they stopped doing his range quite a while ago.

Cherrytree59 Sat 02-Nov-19 15:58:36

Me too!
Black, indigo, stonewash and white.
White are David Emmanuel jeans

Straight and in bootcut.sad

J52 Sat 02-Nov-19 16:18:21

Ours is closing, it says it has a closing down sale, but everything seemed to be the usual price, but with bigger price notices.
They are good for jeans, I like the Susie slim fit. They have 100% cotton T shirts with longer short sleeves and are a generous length. If you search carefully there are little gems in natural fabrics.
M&Co might fill the gap, or go the same way.

Chestnut Sat 02-Nov-19 16:22:23

Okay, let's all order at least one thing now and look there when clothes shopping! We can save it.
www.bonmarche.co.uk/womens/

Oldandverygrey Sat 02-Nov-19 16:28:31

Our Bon Marche is closing down, to today I bought two pair of jeans, and a pair of smart trousers, shock, horror, where am I going to get my trousers in the future?

Resurgam123 Sat 02-Nov-19 16:56:31

Ours is closing down .
The Cheshire town near us once had a good and busy shopping centre.
All this is going to be pulled down these shops are now in a poor state.

Philip Green from BHS who has destroyed a lot of good shops and more or less walked away with the business and walked away with his pockets full. A few years

Along with a planned demolition of a lot of what was a town in what was once a very good industrial town.

This town has been laid low with some rather dodgy doings from the local borough council. Which has already been under suspicision.
I do feel for the people who have lost their jobs.

sodapop Sat 02-Nov-19 17:00:23

You can still buy on line from them I think.

HurdyGurdy Sat 02-Nov-19 17:14:22

I haven't been into town for a while, so I don't know if our branch is closing or still trading.

I am really sad that they are in trouble. It's one of the few shops that do trousers in various leg lengths - a boon for those of us who cannot sew to save themselves, so turning up trousers legs is impossible.

I will have to try and stock up before all is lost.

Littleannie Sat 02-Nov-19 17:19:07

Resurgam
I think the town you refer to is Crewe?
It's a disgrace isn't it? The council has been saying for years they are going to develop it, then all they do is close all the shops, drive the shopkeepers out, and do nothing.
Dodgy dealings by the council is an understatement. It is like a ghost town.

grannyticktock Sat 02-Nov-19 20:38:31

I even looked online for my jeans, but they are out of stock in the size and colour I want.

In any case it may be a bit of a risk - the company are in administration, which may mean you lose your money.

merlotgran Sat 02-Nov-19 20:44:59

I'm disappointed with the last two pairs of jeans I've bought from Bon Marché. They fit nicely until I bend over and then the back of the waistband slithers halfway down my bottom.

I wish I'd taken them back now.

I think I'll stick to Cotton Traders in future.

jura2 Sat 02-Nov-19 20:50:30

Found out a couple of weeks ago at our local one in UK. Staff were very upset. I always buy a few things there when in UK- wish I had bought 2 pairs of the slim leg jeans- really good.

MiniMoon Sat 02-Nov-19 20:56:18

I bought all my summer trousers from Bon Marche online.
They are my favourites, and I'll be very disappointed if they stop trading online.
We don't have a store locally.

blondenana Sat 02-Nov-19 21:09:11

Bon Marche are good for having different lengths ,but i fing the legs too wide unless you buy skinny jeans or jeggings
I have bought mine for years at M&S short lengths although their short aren't as short as they used to be, but got some lovely warn leggings from there, exact fit and they have some very reasonable prices too now

merlotgran Mon 06-Jan-20 21:23:58

Our Bon Marché is closing down sad

I thought I'd give their jeans another chance so popped into their closing down sale today and bought two pairs of straight legs for only £16 each. Joy of joys they have gone back to the high waisted style which don't slide down your bottom.

I'll go back again next week and buy as many colours as I can in the same style. Stocking up mentality has kicked in. grin

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:33:59

I haven't been in our nearest one (as I'm not that old yet) so won't miss them. I'm surprised that they sell jeans and jeggings though - as I know I'm too old to look nice in them!